St. Augustine, FL (Jan 2011) Recap with Photos!

Author
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
2011/01/21 20:39:51 (permalink)

St. Augustine, FL (Jan 2011) Recap with Photos!

Back from a week in St. Augustine, Florida - visiting the in-laws who rented a home for the month.  I am not a big beach person - an hour or two a day is more than enough for me - but some days it was even too cold to WALK  the beach!    That meant more time for...ROADFOOD!

Ate in the first day (Sunday) - but by Monday afternoon - after a big home-cooked breakfast, we needed to break the cabin fever - and chow!

First stop...THE BUNNERY in Old St. Augustine.  This is near the edge of the brick-layered (walking only) historic St. George Street in Old Town.  We arrived around 2:30.  The kitchen closes at 3pm - staying open for coffee, drinks, etc. until 4pm.   When you walk in, you'll first notice two areas of freshly made desserts - so the Mrs. and I picked our desserts BEFORE deciding on a sandwich.   First, the Sandwich: 

The Chicken Walnut Croissant - with chicken salad, walnut and pineapple.  The filling was a little on the light side - but still flavorful.  The croissant was light and delicious.  

For dessert, I went with the Pecan Square... 

and The Mrs. went with the German Chocolate Brownie.  

Both were EXCELLENT.    Before battling the cold, we had coffee (recommended) and a Chocolate Kiss Hot Chocolate with Peppermint and Cinnamon.  My wife had the hot chocolate - but was getting a cold - so I didn't try.  She loved it.   Great start. 

THE BUNNERY, 121 ST. GEORGE ST., ST. AUGUSTINE, FL

---------------------------  

Our Monday dinner choices were limited.  Most places on my list were closed both Sunday and Monday - but BARNACLE BILLS was open.  This was the A1A Beach location - not the other in Old Town.   It was a slow night - yet the waiter forgot our chowder (Minorcan) but then brought them out complimentary minutes after our meals.    The chowder was supposed to have a bit of a kick - but in all honestly, didn't taste any spicier or different than what we get in PA - so that was disappointing.  

The Fried Shrimp Platter was certainly better than anything I have found back home - and I enjoyed it even more when dipping them in the Datil Pepper Sauce.   The fries, Slaw and Hush Puppies - were all just OK.    

Night shots of BARNACLE BILLS:   

BARNACLE BILLS, 451 A1A BEACH BOULEVARD, ST. AUGUSTINE, FL
Initially, I put BARNACLE BILLS at a 3 (out of 5) in my Roadfood Excel file - but it moves to a 2 or 2.5 in comparison with the next day's discovery!

More to come. 

post edited by stanpnepa - 2011/01/23 15:25:37

32 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1