Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT)

Author
Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2011/01/31 22:55:26 (permalink)

Road Trip - Cool Old Vintage Places - Philadelphia to Austin TX (RT)

I am a longtime fan of Roadfood and have many of the Stearns' books in my library, and love reading these forums (and getting myself hungry while doing it!) and am hoping that the folks here can help us find out where to stop and eat on our upcoming big road trip!

My husband and I will be driving from Philadelphia to Austin TX in March, and I'm looking for roadfood suggestions that I could also blog about on my website  RetroRoadmap.com . This would mean places that have been around for a while (1900-1970 mainly) that retain their original look/feel/charm and serve good food, ideally with some regional specialties on the menu. I'm a sucker for a vintage neon sign, marble soda fountain, vintage diner, or anyplace where you feel like you've stepped back in time when you get there.
By putting places like these on my website (with a handy Google Map link) I'm hoping to make it easy for folks to find these places when they're traveling, and perhaps decide to visit them instead of the big and boring chains.

That said, we'll be looking for places to eat, photograph and blog about primarily along these routes:

Atlanta GA to Austin TX:
  • either via Birmingham AL, Jackson MS, Shreveport LA
  • or the more southerly route through Montgomery - Mobile AL, Baton Rouge LA, Houston TX
and on the way home:

Austin TX to Philadelphia via:
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
  • Memphis & Nashville, TN
  • Louisville KY
  • Cincinnati OH
  • Pittsburgh
Now those cities are just to give an idea of the route, we're willing to stop anywhere good as long as it doesn't take us too far off of the path, as we have to return home at some point (or the RetroRoadDog will be sad!)

I realize this post covers a lot of geography, but I'm hoping the folks who know their areas best can guide me to what places to put on the RetroRoadmap.

Thank You in Advance!

Mod Betty

post edited by Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com - 2011/01/31 22:57:03

43 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1