Breakfast Across the States

Author
mealot
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
2011/02/04 16:40:10 (permalink)

Breakfast Across the States

In about 7 months I plan to retire from a job I’ve held for 30+ years. The inevitable task in September will be to fill the 8-5 weekday void. I love to travel and I love to eat so it was not hard to come up with my first idea – to get in the car and have breakfast in all of the 48 contiguous states and DC.  I’m calling this cholesterol- laden odyssey BATS (Breakfast Across the States). This two month road trip has already been planned but is certainly open to amendments.  Over the past year I have used a number of internet sites including Roadfood, Chowhound, Yelp, Tripadvisor, Mr. Breakfast, and local magazines to choose  48 breakfast spots. I’ve also seen the Food Network’s website “50 States 50 Breakfasts”.  Again, my choices are not set in stone. Some of them may even have closed.  I know there are some real food experts out there. You may have much better suggestions or negative experiences with the spots I have chosen. Beginning next week I’ll reveal a few at a time and let you react if you are so inclined. I have really enjoyed reading your reports.  Of course, during the trip I’ll be reporting back with pictures.
 I do have some criteria that I tried to stick with:
1)      The most important criterion is geography. I’ll be doing a lot of driving to hit all 48 states and DC in one trip so I have no desire to drive to very Northern Maine (although I’m sure the blueberry pancakes are awesome) or all the way down to Key West Florida (sorry Blue Heaven).  My goal is to minimize mileage yet find some great breakfast spots.
2)      No chains!  The breakfast spots must be single independent establishments.
3)      I travelled for my job about 15 times a year and have eaten breakfast at some great places (e.g.  Golden Harvest in Lansing MI).  On this trip I want to go to places where I have not had breakfast before. 
4)      I’m inclined to avoid the very large cities. Ease of parking is important.
I’ll start and end in Washington DC, where by the way a good breakfast is hard to come by. Next week I will start to reveal the BATS plan a few states at a time and look forward any feedback you care to share.

92 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1