Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2011/02/13 13:00:28 (permalink)

Speaking of Italian Restaurants

A little story in today's Newsday.  That's the Long Island version of a
high class newspaper.

Stella Stango of Stango's Italian Restaurant still going strong at 94.
Stango's first opened in 1919.  Michael Hoffman was first guy in line. 
Joe Rogo and Tony Bad were not even thought of then.  Chewy was
an apprentice sauce maker in the kitchen.  Someone pulled his finger
once too often and he got fired.

In 1978-84 I lived alone in Glen Cove, a very Italian area of LI.  Every
Friday I would treat myself to dinner at Stango's.  I learned a lot about
Italian food there---how to make a great cold antipasta----how good
White Clam Sauce over Linguine was----how great Stella's homemade
pies were.  

Still going strong at 94 God Bless her.
Restaurant going strong at 92.

13 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 13:30:53 (permalink)
    I worked on Sea Cliff Ave during the years you were in the hood ancient one!

Stango's was good...and for a real special meal, La Pace. The St. Rocco's feast was also a lot of fun. Not many churches have their own bakery! The bakery shut down a few years back, but I heard from a friend who still lives up there they were working on re-opening.

Henry's Confectionery right in the town/city was also a good stop for ice cream or a sandwich.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 13:52:28 (permalink)
    Hey, I ain't never been in no Italian restaurant in my life. But I sure would like to meet the woman who started that one when she was 2 years old.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 13:55:37 (permalink)
    Confectionary stores. Neighborhood confectionary stores. Boy do I miss those. Ice cream, sodas, sandwiches, coffee ... nothing like that around here.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 14:26:46 (permalink)
    Michael, Michael, Stella didn't open the joint her father did. 
    Stella helped cook and serve at 2--- she became the pie cooker when she was 4 and took over the cash registar at 6..

Tony---where were you on Sea Cliff Ave?
    Sea Cliff was only a mile square (with 2 Russian Orthodox churchs)
    so I musta met up with you somewhere.  Stango's was family--La Pace was high class.

I was telling some one about St Rocco's just the other day---The
    San Gennaro Feast of the Gold Coast.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 14:34:37 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Hey, I ain't never been in no Italian restaurant in my life. But I sure would like to meet the woman who started that one when she was 2 years old.

Why not????I rarely go but I'
    m an "F.B.I." and make most "peasant" Italian food myself....when we want some creative Italian cuisine, we'll go to a nice restaurant....but we DO go. Again, why not? Just curious.Michael.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 15:00:10 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner

Tony---where were you on Sea Cliff Ave?
    Sea Cliff was only a mile square (with 2 Russian Orthodox churchs)
    so I musta met up with you somewhere.  Stango's was family--La Pace was high class.

I was one of the mad scientists at Pall Corp for a bunch of years. 

Michael, Henry's was...and from what I read...still is a real deal old time confectionery store. Good ice cream, all sodas made from seltzer and syrup, and good simple sandwiches and things from the grill. I haven't been in a while. What say you and the ancient one come up and we'll meet there for some treats? I am buying.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4525
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 15:37:23 (permalink)
    Hey Zio,

Thanks for the info on Stango's.  I will give it a shot next time I venture to The Island.  And I already know what I'm going to order.  Cold antipasto and linguine with white clam sauce.  I'll tell Stella you said hello.

I really like L.I. Italian restaurants.  They all have a similar uniqueness, while being different from any other area, if that makes sense.  My new favorite is Baldino's in the Residence Inn, Plainview.  The Italian food is excellent, and I can drink a bottle of wine and crawl to my room

I also like Lombardi's in Holbrook.  Outstanding food, and I can drink a bottle of wine and have Tony drive me to my hotel

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 17:25:28 (permalink)
    Joe----when you go to Stango's save some room for the Ameretto Cream Pie---if Stella still makes it.  Terrific.
    As I paid my bill at the front exit----guarded by Stella herself-----I asked her a  question--"Stella, how many calories in the Ameretto Cream Pie---
    She looked me in the eye and said---I never put no calories in that pie, the recipe don't call for no calories so I don't put 'em in.  And that was that.

Understand the drinking wine in Baldino's---I have had that same situation in different places throughout the good old USA.
    Never been in Baldino's though--must be new.

Now Holbrook is a different story.  growing up in Ronkonkoma meant Holbrook was our neighbor.  Mamma Lombardi's has been visited many times.  To me Stango's is better---not commercial at all.  Just family food.
    Sons are in the kitchen cooking, daughters and daughters in law are waitresses.  Red and white checked table cloths----and it's right in the Orchard, The Old Italian Neighborhood.

Tony---I have done work for some of the Pall Execs.  The big plant on Northern Blvd was where they hung out.  On Sea Cliff  Ave there was a great butcher---YOUR PRIVATE BUTCHER---and my 1st shop was right behind them.  They had prime meat for all the estates.  Even marinated steaks for those too lazy to do it themselves.  Lots of Rolls and Bentlys outside while the chauffeur went in to pick up the order.  That was 70-75, wonder if they are still around.

post edited by the ancient mariner - 2011/02/13 18:07:58
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/13 17:26:38 (permalink)
    leethebard

Michael Hoffman

Why not????I rarely go but I'
    m an "F.B.I." and make most "peasant" Italian food myself....when we want some creative Italian cuisine, we'll go to a nice restaurant....but we DO go. Again, why not? Just curious.Michael.

I was kidding. I grew up eating in Italian restaurants in New Haven from Leons in the Hill Section to Coppola's on Wooster Street. Where I live now there are a couple of excellent places, but I mostly make my own at home. Except for the braciole at Scali's, which is better than I can make at home.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/02/13 17:27:45
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1299
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/14 15:53:08 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman Confectionary stores. Neighborhood confectionary stores. Boy do I miss those. Ice cream, sodas, sandwiches, coffee ... nothing like that around here.

Oddly enough, I just passed one not 2 hours ago; Bischoff's in Teaneck, NJ. I haven't eaten anything but their candy, but the people on y**p give them good ratings.

Bart
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/16 02:53:43 (permalink)
    Tony Bad The St. Rocco's feast was also a lot of fun. Not many churches have their own bakery! The bakery shut down a few years back, but I heard from a friend who still lives up there they were working on re-opening.
    My uncle won me a teddy bear @ St Rocco's Festival in 1988. I still have it.

I love Stella's philosophy on calories!!!!!!!

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/16 08:59:59 (permalink)
    St Rocco's fair was San Gennarro East.  You could smell the sausage and peppers cooking for 1/2 a mile.  Even us Irish guys were drawn in by the wonderful aroma.   Mamma Mia they were delicious.

That neighborhood "The Orchard" was so very Italian that in the winter
    every single house had one or two fig trees wrapped with tar paper to prevent frost.   You drove up over the hill and noticed the trees and you knew you were in "The Orchard".

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    Re:Speaking of Italian Restaurants 2011/02/16 12:31:27 (permalink)
    joerogo

I really like L.I. Italian restaurants.  They all have a similar uniqueness, while being different from any other area, if that makes sense.  My new favorite is Baldino's in the Residence Inn, Plainview.  The Italian food is excellent, and I can drink a bottle of wine and crawl to my room

I also like Lombardi's in Holbrook.  Outstanding food, and I can drink a bottle of wine and have Tony drive me to my hotel

Growing up in Nassau County on Long Island, my favorite Italian restaurant was Garberino's in Lynbrook. Or maybe it was in Valley Stream. I don't remember because it was so long ago. But what I do remember was their fabulous Clams Posillipo.
    I've never had it better since.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1