The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing)

Barbeque barn

• Total Posts: 187
how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Thu, 03/3/11 2:27 PM (permalink)
This is how I buildt a wall in the back of my concession van with rollup door and hope it may help someone here that think of do this. Tools need/ drill, 1 1/8 wood bit, 3/8 or 5/16 drill bit. Now 5, 2x4x8', cut to height from floor to celling where wall being placed. Space out evenly and mark on back door. (I worked mine out from center)  Now mark center of top panel of door and use a chualk line and mark down door for each panel, do this for each of the 5 2x4s that you marked on the wall, find center on the chualk of each panel and put a + on line. Now butt 2x4 up to the + mark on door and markon 2x4. From that mark measure back 1 3/4" an mark, drll a 1 1/18 hole with wood bit at each mark, for each 2x4 from the door on side of 2x4. Now find center of the 1 1/8 hole on the edge of 2x4 and drill 3/8 or 5/16" hole to center of 1 1/8 hole, (do this before drilling the panels of back door of van!!!) match holes in 2x4s with marks on door panels. (used 3/8" drill bit) drill thur door panel. Now to have some help with this next step would be fun but isn't more fun to run in and out of the van a hundred time more fun NOT!!!. Just run the right size bolt and throw a nut on and tight'in with some locktite not to tight  just sung. Then you can put up sheet rock or stainless steel and your door is lock down. I hope this help someone Mike
<message edited by Barbeque barn on Thu, 03/3/11 2:28 PM>

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
    Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Thu, 03/3/11 5:37 PM (permalink)
    man, i love your enthusiasm and willingness to share....
    but ive been building things in one aspect or another for most of my life, and I found that hard to understand, lol........

here is my idea for the ultimate "composite"  side wall......
    my van has 2" aluminum "C" channel  for corner post supports in the rear corners, and no "studs" of any sort along the side walls....
    so im going to glue 2" studs along each wall on 16" centers (5200 3m marine adhesive sealant, nothing takes it off) then im going to take 2" pink foam board (like you find at home depot or lowes) and secure it between the C channels, then bond luan, and finally the FRP over that......one thing to remember, never let seams overlap each other, especially in "wet" environments , if you start from one corner with a full sheet of underlayment, start from that same corner with 1/2 sheet of FRP, that way the seams are as far apart as possible, actually, i would start from said corner with 1/2 sheet of underlayment, then go with full sheet of FRP over that for the largest area of seamless covering.

heres a pic of my composite wall idea.....if there are any engineers in the house and you see a problem with my idea, please chime in....... i am just a simple man who knows just enough to be dangerous, lol

Barbeque barn

Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Thu, 03/3/11 6:07 PM (permalink)
      Mine is too seal a rollup door in place and have a vapor barrier behine the wall so you can put a hood system up and air space between the wall and stainless steel sheet. When I'm able to post pictures of my van I will show what it's looks like.

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
        Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Thu, 03/3/11 7:30 PM (permalink)
        how much of an air gap is recommended ? i didnt take that into consideration yet
        i did search out hoods and fans, and think im going to side vent out the back instead of through the roof....lol, time and money will tell

my local HD doesnt seem too interested in the hood as long as its stainless and is comparable to an NSF unit (i can build it myself, but it has to look like a pro one)

Barbeque barn

Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Thu, 03/3/11 8:22 PM (permalink)
          I'm not sure but that why I went with a 2x4 thats standard width of walls but maybe someone here doe's.

oqanani

• Total Posts: 69
            Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Tue, 10/9/12 7:01 AM (permalink)
            How are you affixing the studs to the body of the truck?  Rivets?

Midnights

• Total Posts: 182
              Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Sun, 11/10/13 11:11 PM (permalink)
              I'd also like to know how you guys attach your studs to your wall. Do you just screw in from the outside. For those, like some in this thread, who use a heavy-duty adhesive, how to you make the stud hold tight to the wall while the adhesive is drying. For those who have experience, with this method, which adhesive is best? The 5200 3M marine adhesive mentioned up thread, or construction adhesive like Liquid Nails?

BelCibo

• Total Posts: 155
                Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Sun, 11/10/13 11:38 PM (permalink)
                We used rivets for our wall studs, 1/4"  about every foot.  They did raise the price of the graphics as they have to work the vinyl around each one...hundreds of them lol.

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 217
                  Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Mon, 11/11/13 8:33 PM (permalink)
                  Definitely rivets...and I helped a guy do my wrap and you want to talk about a how much of a nightmare the rivets are to work around!  Yikes...I gave up after a while and just rolled with the very slight bumps....you never really realize how many you have until you have to wrap or apply graphics to one of these suckers...

Midnights

Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Mon, 03/3/14 6:36 PM (permalink)
                    So, if you are using rivets, does that mean you are using the steel (or aluminum) studs? I can't imagine that rivets would work all that well with wooden 2x4's.

fishscale28

Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Mon, 03/3/14 7:05 PM (permalink)
                      I most certainly used aluminum studs.  I used 1.5" square aluminum tubing for the walls and only used wooden studs for the wall that separates the cab from the kitchen

Midnights

Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Mon, 03/3/14 9:16 PM (permalink)
                        I'm allowed to run my electrical in my walls, so I think I'm going to end up using standard steel 2x4 studs (riveted to the walls with wide flange 3/16" aluminum pop rivets). This will allow 2" insulation (blue foam) and enough room to still run the electrical lines and mount the outlets flush with the wall. I will be using grommets like this to pass the wires through, so they don't get cut by the metal.
                        http://www.zorotools.com/g/00010402/k-G0309303
                        I'll be covering the walls with plywood and FRP.

fishscale28

Re:how to building a wall in concession van (one way of doing) Tue, 03/4/14 6:28 PM (permalink)
                          Sounds like a plan-you might be able to save quite a bit by going with smaller metal studs.  You can even find plenty of 1.5" insulation as well...even some aluminum C channel works great for doing what you're doing.  And I used the MC cable and the grommets you showed and ran all my wires behind the wall.  All safe and secure plus it looks so much better than having it exposed.  I also used 1/4" rivets as well...just what I was able to find a lot of and it worked out quite well

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com