Remembering Cafeteria Fare

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2011/03/06 23:39:45 (permalink)

Remembering Cafeteria Fare

I guess this is the appropriate place to post this, not being Roadfood indies. We were looking over the menu of the Picadilly cafeteria website a few days ago. It appears to be the only cafeteria chain left down here. We've been looking for somewhere to take my Dad to and he's been bringing up cafeteria food for a while. The menu was startling to see how much the cafeterias have changed. We took a look at Luby's website and seen much the same thing. For an industry that continued to serve the same comfort foods for most of my life from the 50's until the last one that we ate at in '2001, I suppose they finally have gotten along with the times. Offerings that I'd never imagine such as chicken fingers with dipping sauce, coconut shrimp, and all kinds of other, updated mains and sides, not to mention a lot more variety then I remembered are on the menus. Back when, I remember about 9 different chains over the years that all served about the same things with very little, if any variance in the recipes. It's nice to see that they're trying to compete with the casual chains, but it's a shame that so many of the old favorites have dropped of the menu that we grew up with. I suppose that kids nowadays would pitch a fit if you offered them okra and tomatoes or eggplant casserole instead of something fried for a vegetable or even plain mashed potatoes or brown betty or a cup of custard for desert. Anyone still have any functioning brain cells that recall the old offerings. I haven't compiled a list, but I think I can still pretty much call most of the serving line.

38 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1