The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought.

VenusPaw

• Total Posts: 36
Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Sat, 03/12/11 5:41 PM (permalink)
   I have the opportunity to purchase a 1962 double-decker bus. It is such a unique vehicle aesthetically that it draws lots of gawkers and picture-takers and would advertise itself.  Though I know there loads of other variables, how would you answer the following question: if a step van could be built turnkey for $20,000 but the bus would cost $40,000, would the attention the bus attracts (increased sales) be worth the higher cost and risk? The top floor would be a dining area which I feel would give me a leg up on the competition, particularly in inclimate weather. I go into every venture with an escape route in mind and think the bus would be easier to sell than the van should the business not be successful, so that factors into my decision, too. The uniqueness of the bus would be great for business but it also presents challenges with installing equipment because of its shape: where to put the generator and propane tanks, for instance. 
   Not to sound rude, but unless you have personal experience with these buses, there is no need to say "be careful" or "where are you going to find parts...?", etc., I just want your opinion on whether you, as a consumer, would be intrigued enough to purchase from such a vehicle. Step one was viewing it, now begins my long process of speaking with fabricators, health departments, and the like. If anything, I tend closer to "paralysis by analysis" than "knee-jerk buyer" so I have already thought of the endless ways the bus won't work. If you do have first-hand knowledge and/or experience with double-decker buses and their idiosyncrasies, I'm all ears. It seems to be structurally and cosmetically sound, but mechanically, there are question marks that will be resolved before I go any further. Thanks, all.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com