The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39
eventsnm

• Total Posts: 4
Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Wed, 10/24/12 8:23 PM (permalink)
did you ever get your double decker bus?

eventsnm

Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Wed, 10/24/12 8:46 PM (permalink)
    im looking for a double decker bus to buy, anyone Know of any?

eventsnm

Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Fri, 11/23/12 11:10 AM (permalink)
      did you ever get the bus?

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
        Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Sun, 12/23/12 12:15 AM (permalink)
        If I had a DD bus, It would have to sell fish and chips!

BelCibo

• Total Posts: 155
          Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Mon, 12/24/12 8:51 PM (permalink)
          The novelty alone would be worth it imo, I'd certainly give it a shot and try the food.  Eating area is a nice add to.  How about some propane heaters up top too?

buffy1711

• Total Posts: 59
            Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Mon, 12/24/12 9:59 PM (permalink)
            First question....will you serve food in the bus like a seat down restaurant? If so, top floor or bottom floor? Because that's the difference in a 40,000 and a 200,000 investment. The liabilities and insurance will be more also in Michigan all buses are required to have a $5,000,000 dollars insurance req by m-dot. Check with your local DOT because the minute you put people in you also might be req to have restrooms, fire escapes, etc. What equipment will you have? Think about the weight of the vehicle.

Just a thought

PhilV

• Total Posts: 1
              Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Thu, 07/4/13 1:19 PM (permalink)
              I successfully completed the retrofit and restoration of a 1950 RTL double deck bus with commercial kitchen and restaurant on board. I did most of the work myself minus electrical, welding and cabinetry and had to spend over $40,000+. Major cautions to any who think they can simply buy a bus and open it - you would be dead wrong. Most states and countries have regulations you need to follow for permits, so examine them and know them well before starting. Our government is careless and quite behind the times in creating realistic codes for these types of adventures, they only have codes in smaller towns and smaller cities for businesses like brick mortar restaurants, not food trucks and carts. Be prepared to fight on many levels. Don't even consider fryers on board, hood ventilation with fire suppression is mandated everywhere I know of. Add another $10-12,000 for that if installed along with ruining the look of the bus. Anyone wanting to see a photo gallery of the restoration process of the bus I completed, visit my gallery of photos here:

A comprehensive timeline gallery can be seen here:

I sold the bus to a local diesel mechanic and the bus now operates in the Portland, Oregon area. Email me with questions if you are a serious builder.

Rcoy

• Total Posts: 91
                Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Thu, 07/4/13 6:32 PM (permalink)
                Hey, I see you are in WA. I was told by labor and industies here that under no condition could I have people dining on my bus.  Did L&I approve your plans before you did your build?

Thanks

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                  Re:Advice on building a food truck using a British double-decker sought. Thu, 07/4/13 9:22 PM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com