As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work

Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2011/03/31 16:37:31 (permalink)

As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work

In order to make their price point, most "As Seen On TV" cooking tools are so poorly made that, no matter how good the basic concept or design, they don't work. Some are hard to fathom in the first place (like the egg-breaker, which, from all reports, is so hard to clean one wonders why anybody bothers. The "Perfect Pancake" only took a little bit of arithmetic to see why it is far from perfect; you can only make one pancake at a time. In practice, it didn't even do THAT. It was by trying to find out how long it took for each pancake, I discovered "Does It Work?" sites on the Internet (many local TV news shows have them; a good way to find them is to add a day, such as "does it work monday", "does it work tuesday", etc.)

But some kitchen gadgets would be very nice if they were well made. For example, there was that whiisk/tongs thing (5-in-1 tool or something like that), which would have been very nice if it could hold more than about 1/4 of an ounce. And there's a relatively new one, the "Chef's Basket", which is SUPPOSED to be a combination steamer, cooler, colander, etc. According the reports I read, it cannot hold even one or two potatoes. (BTW, NEVER order an "As Seen On TV" gadget from the phone number or the web; they try very hard to trick you into getting "free" extras with exorbitant shipping and handling charges. Websites often ask for your credit card number just so you can look at the item; I always use the "test" numbers provided by Master Card, Visa, AMEX, etc. for testing credit card acceptance systems).

So what "As Seen on TV" items have you seen which you would consider having if they came in a sturdy, more expensive version?

Bart

12 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1