Exhaust Fan Options

Author
Southernsmoke
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
2011/04/01 10:55:14 (permalink)

Exhaust Fan Options

Hi all,

I'm installing a Pitco fryer in my bbq trailer. I am going to use a 4 ft hood, my question is what exhaust fan options are out there? The only ones I can see are the large round type that mounts on the roof, are their any "flat" units that can be wall mounted. Your advice would be much appreciated.

13 Replies Related Threads

localnet
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1064
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/01 12:30:42 (permalink)
    Yes, there was a post here not long ago with a link to a site that sold them. I have a wall mount fan in my trailer, it is essentially (is) a GM automotive 12 volt electric radiator fan like you would find in a 1/2 ton pickup.
    Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/01 14:10:55 (permalink)
    Thanks I'll do another search..
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/01 20:32:04 (permalink)
    Around here anything with grease laden vapors...I/E fryer, griddle, etc.also requires a fire suppression system.
    Southernsmoke
    Hamburger
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/02 07:58:35 (permalink)
    Buck & Vi's

Around here anything with grease laden vapors...I/E fryer, griddle, etc.also requires a fire suppression system.

Yep same applys here. 

nom nom nom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/02 11:49:28 (permalink)
    I'm in FLA. I'm still deciding what equipment to add to my trailer. Obviously y'all have successfully cleared the health department gauntlet. Can you help me avoid some pitfalls? My trailer passed inspection before but for pre-packaged food. I'm adding the cooking equipment.

I'm hoping to get by with an exhaust hood and 2 manual fire extinguishers. I've looked at all of the information from the health department and it seems that manual extinguishers are all that is required but you are saying that's not so. What's the skinny? I'm not going to install a fryer. Right this second I plan to install a stove w/ eyes and an oven (maybe a griddle) and a charbroiler.
    localnet
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/02 12:01:51 (permalink)
    Here in MI you do not need a halon system with a flat griddle. If I installed a commercial fryer or char broiler, I would need a halon system. And that is all up to your fire marshal, not the HD, at least here in MI. And you need a licensed installer for the Halon system, it is not something that you can do yourself. But, you can buy a complete hood and halon system on the internet and do much of the install yourself saving you some money. Just need the Halon guy to set the box/trigger up to satisfy code. Again, at least here in MI.
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/02 15:24:36 (permalink)
    yea, here all i have to have is an "NSF" (lol) kitchen extinguisher according to the HD.... "one of the white ones" as he put it

and since im going to be a mobile unit, according to the HD, i dont need to see the fire marshal, they only handle brick&mortar 
    so, apparently i have no hood inspections, no fire suppression demands outside of a kitchen extinguisher, and no need at all to see the fire marshal

his explanation was..... "fire codes are really for whats on the other side of the wall, and customers in the building"...... "your mobile with no inside for customers, and open air on other side of your walls, so the fire marshal is out of the picture for you"

lol, im still going to go by the marshals and generically ask about it though, just sounds too easy according to the HD
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/02 15:28:12
    localnet
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/03 09:35:45 (permalink)
    It depends on where you are at and where you set up. I know from reading here that if you do festivals, the fire marshal may make an appearance to inspect trailers, so I hear. I have never been inspected and don't do festivals. I wish I would have installed that deep fryer now and taken my chances.

post edited by localnet - 2011/04/03 09:39:44
    nom nom nom
    Junior Burger
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/03 11:59:12 (permalink)
    Hmmmm...sounds like it would be easier (and cheaper) to move to North Carolina!
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/03 13:03:43 (permalink)
    localnet...
    good call on the festival inspections, that would be one instance where i would need to appease the fire marshal on a "per case" basis.....
    but even then, all he is looking for mainly is grease traps on the hood, no obviously disfunctional wiring(no extension cords), the proper "white" kitchen extinguisher, an escape hatch if cooking area is between me and the doors, and no discharge of fluids (ac condensate) onto bare ground.....
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/03 13:44:58 (permalink)
    nom nom nom,
    yea, things can be a little more relaxed around here sometimes, but there are other aspects that the locals can be real nazis with....

unfortunately, we have those that take the easy/lazy route, and things like this are what we end up with....

taxi cabs around here are so heavily regulated, that the city has to approve your paint colors...... the cabs get inspected before going into service, and every three months there after..... and dont be caught dead driving around with a dirty cab, they must be washed on a daily basis if needed....

but we can have the above riding around interacting with your children with no one looking at it for safety or cleanliness outside of the yearly HD inspection 

you cant really tell by the pics, but this thing is coated in layers of pollen and clay dirt dust, you can look and tell it hasn't been washed in a couple months
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/03 13:46:42
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/03 13:56:41 (permalink)
    and yes..... its an ice cream truck with the name wankys..... sometimes ya just have to sit back and wonder about things

the guy has the passenger seat removed, and a looks like 4' slide top ice cream vending freezer in its place, facing him !!..... so he doesnt have to ever get his lazy ass out of the vehicle, it has bare plywood framing all over the place to hold the freezer in place and behind him on the floor is boxes of chips and snacks......

now lets think about this for a moment..... the freezer faces him in the drivers seat...2x4 framing all over passenger side and behind him.....

what does this mean ??????  well, it means that in order for your kid to buy an ice cream or bag of chips from this guy, they have to walk out into the street !! !!! 

if this is the level of my competition around here, the HD is going to love me, the city is going to love me, i will be the food truck king ! lol 
    nom nom nom
    Junior Burger
    Re:Exhaust Fan Options 2011/04/09 08:57:37 (permalink)
    What the hell...

wow

Oh well, at least with all of the 2X4 framing kids can't climb in. The megaphone on top is priceless.

post edited by nom nom nom - 2011/04/09 08:58:49
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1