The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Tankless Water Heater Question

BlackOak

• Total Posts: 42
Tankless Water Heater Question Thu, 04/7/11 10:49 AM (permalink)
I am in search of a tankless water heater for my food truck.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to buy and what brand would you recommend, as well as installation mistakes to avoid.  Thanks in advance.

localnet

• Total Posts: 1064
    Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Fri, 04/8/11 11:11 AM (permalink)
    If you are placing it inside, probably a model by Rinnai.

http://www.rinnai.us/tankless-water-heater/

Here are some more propane units, the Eccotemp looks like a good buy: http://www.compactapplian...eaters,default,sc.html

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Fri, 04/8/11 9:22 PM (permalink)
      BlackOak
      I am in search of a tankless water heater for my food truck.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to buy and what brand would you recommend, as well as installation mistakes to avoid.  Thanks in advance.

Do a search here on roadfood there are two or three good discussions with links that will get you a unit from a good reputable company that others here are using, including myself. But for gods sake don't buy a Rheem (above link) they are an arm and a leg and no better than the cheaper brands. If the unit your looking for from the link (here on Roadfood) is an Ebay item look up the company's name (google), they are in Indiana  and call them and order it on the phone you'll save another $10.00 or $15.00. They last forever and only run $150.00 or so. They company is really fast in there process and shipping.
      Jack

localnet

Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Sat, 04/9/11 11:45 AM (permalink)
        Dr of BBQ

BlackOak

Do a search here on roadfood there are two or three good discussions with links that will get you a unit from a good reputable company that others here are using, including myself. But for gods sake don't buy a Rheem (above link) they are an arm and a leg and no better than the cheaper brands. If the unit your looking for from the link (here on Roadfood) is an Ebay item look up the company's name (google), they are in Indiana  and call them and order it on the phone you'll save another $10.00 or $15.00. They last forever and only run $150.00 or so. They company is really fast in there process and shipping.
        Jack

Jack,

I think you are talking about the Eccotemp L5, that is what most of the doggers use on their carts. The problem with that particular unit may be on the exhaust side, getting the CO gas out of the trailer if he mounts it in an enclosed space, as it was designed to be an outdoor unit. Unless the op is staying in MS, he still needs to be aware of freezing temps, than an outside mount may be possible as long as our friends in the government approve its placement.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
          Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Sat, 04/9/11 12:28 PM (permalink)
          localnet

Dr of BBQ

BlackOak

Jack

Jack,

I think you are talking about the Eccotemp L5, that is what most of the doggers use on their carts. The problem with that particular unit may be on the exhaust side, getting the CO gas out of the trailer if he mounts it in an enclosed space, as it was designed to be an outdoor unit. Unless the op is staying in MS, he still needs to be aware of freezing temps, than an outside mount may be possible as long as our friends in the government approve its placement.

My unit does not say designed to be an outdoor unit. But on my original build I vented my 1st unit it was an Omega a brand no longer made. But even if that were the case you vent it that's no big deal. But that said instant hot water heaters don't run for long periods of time  What do you think the normal ratio would be of hot to cold water? I'd guess 1/3rd hot water at most so when I install a new unit in my step van I'm not even going to vent it. All summer my exhaust fan runs from open to close so no need. And you could always vent it to an exhaust fan. But running a vent pipe straight up to the roof is not a major expense and not a lot of work. People that write on here both pros and non pros over complicate things. Don't make your job or build more complicated than it is. Install double the number of outlets you think you'll need and keep the rest as simple as possible.And don't spend money on things that aren't going make you money starting day one. We sell food and we don't serve it on dishes so the amount of hot or cold water used is pretty low. We wash dishes pots and pans twice a day, right after setup and at close no one on my team has dish pan hands and we get 100% from our local HD at all of our inspections.
          Jack
          And on getting gas or CO2 out lol I have yet to see a trailer or food truck that is tight enough for any build up to become a problem without a vent of any kind. Heck the batteries that fire my unit last 3 years. LMAO

localnet

Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Sat, 04/9/11 12:52 PM (permalink)
            Jack,

I agree we can over complicate things, God knows I have. But, CO2 is no laughing matter, no matter how little the appliance is used, and that was my point. Make sure you have the correct unit for the job at hand and it is installed properly. Trust me, CO2 poisoning is no fun, and can cause long term physical damage and death. Not something I would LOL about.

Mike

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
              Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Sat, 04/9/11 1:21 PM (permalink)
              so get a double walled elbow, and vent it right out the side above the unit, use a stainless dryer wall vent for other side of wall and call it a day.........

i wouldnt even stress over a leak free seal between the two...... the natural laws of convection and currents (heat rises) will evacuate what little co2 you produce

pull the flapper out of the wall vent of course
              <message edited by BackAlleyBurger on Sat, 04/9/11 1:22 PM>

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
                Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Sat, 04/9/11 1:30 PM (permalink)
                you have to think of this also...... 
                if your running a vent hood, say it pulls 2000 cubic feet per minute, that means that in a 200sq ft trailer/truck that you are exchanging fresh air 10 times per minute... i dont think a propane exhaust build up will ever be a problem from an instant on heater...... if you think about it, the griddle, the fryers, etc... all produce much much more then that water heater ever will, and they simply vent to the exhaust hood

on second thought, if you vent it a leak free seal might be beneficial due to the negative pressure the vent hood creates.......

<message edited by BackAlleyBurger on Sat, 04/9/11 1:32 PM>

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Sat, 04/9/11 4:14 PM (permalink)
                  BackAlleyBurger
                  you have to think of this also......  if your running a vent hood, say it pulls 2000 cubic feet per minute, that means that in a 200sq ft trailer/truck that you are exchanging fresh air 10 times per minute... i dont think a propane exhaust build up will ever be a problem from an instant on heater...... if you think about it, the griddle, the fryers, etc... all produce much much more then that water heater ever will, and they simply vent to the exhaust hood on second thought, if you vent it a leak free seal might be beneficial due to the negative pressure the vent hood creates.......

Your right on the money on all accounts. My hood will suck the flame out on my instant water heater. But even with it (the hood) off your never going to build up enough exhaust gas from a water heater to harm yourself. We as a nation have turned into a bunch of frightened children. LOL

localnet

Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Sun, 04/10/11 7:24 AM (permalink)
                    CO2 = sissy?

Over the past 20 years I have wound up in the hospital twice with CO2 poisoning, the last time I nearly didn't make it. Hazards of my last occupation. It was no fun and am now very sensitive to the stuff and have had long term negative effects from the last incident. Not a sissy, as the stuff nearly killed me and still bothers me to this day, and would honestly say it is the cause of many the health problems I now have.

And not saying that an instant hot water heater will kill anyone if vented properly. My point regarding the entire topic was to use an indoor model inside of a trailer, not the less expensive outdoor model, that was all.

house

• Total Posts: 2
                      Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Wed, 04/20/11 9:03 AM (permalink)
                      There is a huge choice of water heaters. Such heaters for indoor use produced by such companies as Bosch, RHEEM, AQUAH, Rinnai, NORITZ, TAKAGI and the price starts at $150 for the heater capacity 1.6 gallons of hot water per minute.

Lost Nation

• Total Posts: 105
                        Re:Tankless Water Heater Question Wed, 04/20/11 11:14 AM (permalink)
                        I bought an Atwood from PPL Motor Homes (you can find them on the net). I have the pilot model thats 6 gallon. It has a cutout on the side where it vents out. I won't be cooking in mine just serving.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com