The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Your pet's favorite human food treat

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
Your pet's favorite human food treat Wed, 04/20/11 5:18 PM (permalink)
Most of my dogs, after my first one, Big Dude, wern't fed anything but dry Dog food, as frequently if they did get something of the human variety, it upset their digestive tract and you know what follows. Big Dude loved anything, especially a soft serve vanilla cone, I had a Taylor soft serve machine back then. Now my 2 little guys get american cheese and love Utz BBQ chips. I have had people tell me they feed their dog chili, hard to believe! What unusual treats do you give your pets?
<message edited by chewingthefat on Wed, 04/20/11 9:16 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Wed, 04/20/11 6:04 PM (permalink)
    My German Shepard, Max, used to love Redi-whip right out of the can. He would hear( primarily Bob)shaking the can, run in the kitchen and open his mouth. Bob sprayed it right in. Bo, my Golden Retriever, loved Lays potato chips with onion dip.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
      Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Wed, 04/20/11 10:27 PM (permalink)
      Anything he can get!  I know when he really likes it because he will immediately start licking his front legs.

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
        Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 4:11 AM (permalink)
        Treats of choice for all my dogs, which one time consisted of 6 Great Danes, 5 of which were rescue dogs, 5 Australian Shepards (great cattle dogs). a black, and a golden lab (great birders), were carrots, green beans and bananas and occassional some cheese. Never fed them left overs, junk food, etc. Now I only have a French Bulldog, an English Bulldog a blind Fox Terrier, 2 Aussies and one lab. They get the same treats, although the Frenchie and the English Bulldog did steal some pizza off my plate awhile ago. That led to the GREAT GAS ATTACK of 2011. Confined to puppy prison, a 20 x 20 dog run, for two days. It took that long to cleanse their farts to bearable

ann peeples

Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 4:28 AM (permalink)
          Its funny, my dogs never had any gas or other problems from "people" food. The only thing that caused them intestinal distress was pig ears.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 5:26 AM (permalink)
            While the Scotties are BBQ  SCRAP lovers, most of the time a very small amount of our dinner meat will be stirred into their dry food for their dinner. (think small pieces of chicken-skin after roasting). The real favorite are the Porterhouse Bones after a pair of the 1.5 inch steaks are finished in our 'grill-night'.  The dogs enjoy gnawing the 't-bones' down about half-way to nothing, then on silent signal they trade places and work on the other guys bone for a while....then Duff will carry his around looking for a hiding place while Demi finishes hers and goes looking for where Duff put his...usually in one of my shoes.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
              Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 7:57 AM (permalink)
              annpeeples

Its funny, my dogs never had any gas or other problems from "people" food. The only thing that caused them intestinal distress was pig ears.

Ann, That's one thing our dog Teddy can't have either. Gives him gas something fierce!
              Not an unusual treat but his favorite I would have to say is any kind of poultry. The smells from our Thanksgiving turkey made him crazy all day!

Teddy

ann peeples

Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 8:49 AM (permalink)
                Oh-Teddy is  a good looking boy!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                  Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 10:06 AM (permalink)
                  Our dog is another entrant in the "anything she can get" category but she really loves raw broccoli.  Anytime I'm cutting some I save some of the stalks and cut them into bite-size pieces for her.

Brad

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                    Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 11:20 AM (permalink)
                    My dog ate 12 Portuguese rolls the other day.  I only left the room for a minute.... lol

ann peeples

Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 12:45 PM (permalink)
                      I do have a cute story about Bo and Pizza...Bob would always give Bo a piece, but he made him wait, sorta teasing him. At first Bo would put his head on Bobs lap, trying to look cute.When Bob ignored him( with a sly smile on his face) Bo would put his paw up and give the sad eyes.Still ignoring him, Bo would then hunch down and start snarling and barking in a fake mean way.( let me preface this next part with that Bo NEVER stole food off the table, etc..) Anyway, this time, Bob went to the other room, and upon walking in, spied Bo gently removing a piece of pizza and placing it on the floor.When Bob returned to the room and pizza, Bo looked at it, looked at Bob as if to indicate that because the pizza was on the floor, it was his.
                      That was one of the precious moments 2 weeks before Bo died in January.

chewingthefat

Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 2:03 PM (permalink)
                        annpeeples

I do have a cute story about Bo and Pizza...Bob would always give Bo a piece, but he made him wait, sorta teasing him. At first Bo would put his head on Bobs lap, trying to look cute.When Bob ignored him( with a sly smile on his face) Bo would put his paw up and give the sad eyes.Still ignoring him, Bo would then hunch down and start snarling and barking in a fake mean way.( let me preface this next part with that Bo NEVER stole food off the table, etc..) Anyway, this time, Bob went to the other room, and upon walking in, spied Bo gently removing a piece of pizza and placing it on the floor.When Bob returned to the room and pizza, Bo looked at it, looked at Bob as if to indicate that because the pizza was on the floor, it was his.

Wonderfully told, suprising, sad ending...Lord I love my pet family.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                          Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 2:52 PM (permalink)
                          I have 2 cats that will gorge themselves on pumpkin and/or squash guts.  They leave a nice little mound of seeds behind, they just eat the stringy stuff.

Tdybr27

• Total Posts: 92
                            Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Thu, 04/21/11 7:54 PM (permalink)

My dog Theodore Eugene Bear (aka Ted E Bear) LOVES ice cubes.    He can be sound asleep anywhere in the house and hear me get in the freezer to get some ice and he'll come running!      Can't beat the cost of ice cubes for a doggie treat!  [image]app_themes/Original/image/filetype/jpg.gif[/image]Ted E 12-10 3.jpg
                            <message edited by Tdybr27 on Thu, 04/21/11 7:56 PM>
                            Attached Image(s)

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                              Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Sat, 04/23/11 11:45 AM (permalink)
                              2 of our grandogs(our childrens dogs) once ate 6 dozen colored Easter eggs. 
                              I had colored 6 dozen eggs( 3 dozen each in one of those flat egg crates),left them on a high counter & off we all went to church.
                              We left our son's yellow lab(a frequent guest) & our son's standard black poodle(1st time visitor) at home.  The counter was high & the lab had never eaten any people food at all.  However, the poodle convinced the lab that they should eat the eggs.  The counter was high, the dogs must have had to jump to get to them.
                              Well, we came home from church to find the remains of 6 dozen eggs all over the floor & 2 dogs with blue & green tongues.  I just looked at the mess, got me a cup of coffee & went out on the porch.  It took the kids about an hour to clean up all the mess-egg shells, white of the eggs(the dogs ate all the yolks.), etc.
                              An Easter we will always remember.

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Sun, 04/24/11 8:01 PM (permalink)
                                i have a fila brasilero mastif and a great dane, both eat anything that doesnt move and veggies too

chickenplucker

• Total Posts: 162
                                  Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Sun, 04/24/11 11:06 PM (permalink)
                                  Maybe once a month I bring our German Shephard and our Lab a plain double cheese from Mcdonalds. They recognize the bag and go crazy when I come in the door.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                    Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Mon, 04/25/11 7:39 AM (permalink)
                                    Cut up rib-eye scraps.

chewingthefat

Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Mon, 04/25/11 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                      phatphil

i have a fila brasilero mastif and a great dane, both eat anything that doesnt move and veggies too

That Fila probably likes to munch on Cape Buffalo, live!

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                                        Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Mon, 04/25/11 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                        What would we do in a world without companion animals?  Our dogs try so hard to please us, and we try equally as hard to please our cats. 

chewingthefat

Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Mon, 04/25/11 5:02 PM (permalink)
                                          MellowRoast

What would we do in a world without companion animals?  Our dogs try so hard to please us, and we try equally as hard to please our cats. 

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                            Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Tue, 04/26/11 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                            a fila wont kill only hold its intruder or prey in the fear of god, the most loyal dog to a family, i havent locked my house in 8 years

chewingthefat

Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Tue, 04/26/11 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                              phatphil

a fila wont kill only hold its intruder or prey in the fear of god, the most loyal dog to a family, i havent locked my house in 8 years

My late great Piebald English Mastiff, Mighty Moe, all 240 lbs. of him, same thing, I think about him, and all my pet children, every day. Piebald's are the white Mastiff's not recognized by the AKA, so many breeders kill them, make that murder them, unbelievable!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Fri, 05/6/11 10:46 AM (permalink)
                                                annpeeples

Awww, Annie. *hugs*

Next week will be a year since we put my Wolfgang down. He was 18 & most likely from a puppy mill as his only motivation was food or attention, food being the greater motivator. So for the 15 years he was mine this dog would eat anything offered to him, but loved to sneak raspberries and tomatoes out of my mother's garden. He LOVED fresh pea pods.  We were eating them one day & one got dropped on the floor. He took it, trotted out to the foyer & ate it. Cantaloupe, yogurt, salt free rice cakes (in place of popcorn), chicken, apples, bananas, green beans, pizza crust, white rice, you name it. At holidays I would sneak him a little homemade pasta & a meatball.  2-4 times a month I would make him a scrambled egg (brown butter) or chop up a hardboiled egg for him, to keep his coat shiny.

And I didn't realize, but I always saved the last few bites of whatever I was eating for Wolf. Realized it about a week or two after his death when I had consistently had 2 bites left on my plate at dinnertime.

Spike was only with us a short time, but he was lurking while we were carving pumpkins, grabbed a big wad of pumpkin snot + seeds & RAN like it was prime rib!!!

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                                                  Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Fri, 05/6/11 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                                  My boy loves cheese, all 125lbs of him.....doesn't matter what kind he'll eat it. Raw carrots are a close second.....

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                                    Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Fri, 05/6/11 3:05 PM (permalink)
                                                    My Rat Terrier will inhale a White Castle.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                                                      Re:Your pet's favorite wacky human food treat Fri, 05/6/11 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      chewingthefat

phatphil

My late great Piebald English Mastiff, Mighty Moe, all 240 lbs. of him, same thing, I think about him, and all my pet children, every day. Piebald's are the white Mastiff's not recognized by the AKA, so many breeders kill them, make that murder them, unbelievable!

Years ago breeders would put down any white German Shepherd. When I was a boy I remember visiting the Pennsylvania State Police Academy in Hershey where they had a kennel full of white shepherds.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com