Heating Water At Concession Stand

Author
mthilen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2011/04/22 00:53:06 (permalink)

Heating Water At Concession Stand

Hello, 

I am in the process of opening a concession stand that sells primarily coffee. I was wondering how most of you heat water? I am planning on powering the stand using a 10,000 watt 72 decibel gasoline generator, but after all the other stuff I need I can't find any water heaters that don't use a ton of power. What have you guys done. Also,  I know regulations vary from state to state, but basically I need non absorbent floors, counters and cabinets, a 3 compartment sink + a handwashing sink, cold and hot water and then I'm good. Right? I appreciate the help, I am new to this and trying to get my business on its feet. 

Regards, 

Max

11 Replies Related Threads

BackAlleyBurger
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 04:31:47 (permalink)
    get a propane instant on....it fires from a pair of "D" cell batteries (last for year or more) and only heats when you actually need it.... very miserly on the gas, no electricity needed !
    mthilen
    Junior Burger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 11:42:09 (permalink)
    Thanks. How does the tankless water heater work? I had the idea that I'd have my main water tank with one pipe exiting it, then leading to a pump, after the pump I would install a T shaped divider to split it in two, one side would go straight to the fossett as cold water, while the other side would go straight to the fossett but with a tankless water heater like what you recomended in the middle, that is how the tankless heaters work, right? Something like this, if the "O" is the heater and the "-----" is the piping: -----------O-----------

Thanks
    Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 13:19:10 (permalink)
    I'm not 100% how they work buy I have researched them and have an Atwood in my garage. There some that connect a pressure tank to your pump that would give you constant pressure but these require power, but not much.

Mine will have a slight lag in pressure when you turn on the faucet, then you will have constant hot water till you run out of LP gas or water.

I got mine at PPL Motor Homes and was $275
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 17:12:12 (permalink)
    heres a generic view of what your plumbing should look like..... your actual may vary depending on local codes and HD.....

BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 17:19:43 (permalink)
    instant on heater have a small pressure sensor basically....
    when it "sees" that you have turned the hot faucet on, it zaps a spark to ignite the gas.... now you have a flame heating the water, and the flame stays on until you turn the hot water faucet off, and when the sensor sees it turned off, it turns the gas off and waits until you need more hot water.....the D cell batteries last forever because it only goes into action for about a second whenever you turn the hot water faucet on, and then again for another second when you shut it off......
    fantastic for what you need, it takes no outside electricity to run, and will be functional until the propane runs out....... these units have been in use for years and years over in europe, and have a few years under their belts here in the states.... very safe, very efficient, very green
    you can adjust the flow rate and flame intensity to give you exactly what you need to satisfy any HD out there
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 17:22:38 (permalink)
    hahahahahaa..... i forgot to draw the pump !
    just imagine it between the fresh water tank, and the first "T" in the cold water out line
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 20:07:13 (permalink)
    heres an idea i learned back in the day.....

mthilen
    Junior Burger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 20:27:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the help. Are most of you using generators to power your stands? I've been trying to figure out if there is some regulation as to what you have to use as a power source but it seems unclear. Are there any rules against a gasoline generator?
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 21:05:13 (permalink)
    just bumper mount the size genny you need, you can undermount if you have the room as well
    mthilen
    Junior Burger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 21:52:41 (permalink)
    Using gasoline generators do you get a lot of fumes that smell bad or is it not very noticeable? Anyone know how much gasoline a 10,000W generator uses hourly? Would a gasoline generator increase insurance rates since gasoline is flammable? As opposed to diesel. 
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:Heating Water At Concession Stand 2011/04/22 22:02:14 (permalink)
    shouldnt make a difference with the insurance, you probably have a gas engine in the truck so 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...
    fumes wouldnt be any worse(as long as its running properly) then if you were sitting there idleing the truck engine.... what you would want to do is run the exhaust for the genny up under the truck just like the regular exhaust if its under mounted..... if bumper mounted just run the exhaust to a far corner away from the serving window....this can also give you the room to run a secondary muffler to keep it more quiet then normal 
    gas usage would depend on how heavy you are taxing the genny, and what its powered with to start off.....a diesel would be more effecient, but they weigh a ton and usually make more noise then a gas one..... you can get around that, but the costs go up astronomically
    i would say about 3/4-1 gallon an hour at max output with a 10k.... remmeber this, a bigger genny can get better "mileage" then a smaller one running at max 
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/22 22:03:44
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1