Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pickled Eggs

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 34 of 34
fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
Re:Pickled Eggs Mon, 04/25/11 3:25 PM (permalink)
Pickled eggs and draft beer, mmmmmm.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Pickled Eggs Mon, 04/25/11 3:54 PM (permalink)
    FishTaco,
    With a name like your's the Eggs and Beer Combo should merge into a veritable digestive nightmare for others riding in your commuter car each morning 'after' !

You did trigger some rather green memories of fishing out of Ensenada,BC after a night of many beers in town, then a pre-boarding the boat breakfast at the Mexican Denny's right beside the sportfishing dock. Breakfast was Sausage (hot chorizo) and runny eggs, then we would buy half-dozen fish taco's to eat on the boat.  If it got a little rough on the water, things could and did get a bit ugly over the rail ! 

Yes it was a Denny's like those in the USA...but with a regional specialty menu !!!

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
      Re:Pickled Eggs Sat, 04/30/11 9:06 AM (permalink)
      6star

mar52

Thank you for the recipe.

What size jar do you use?
      See the "bowl method" below.

Do you eat the beets? Do you also add the beet juice?
      >>> Yes, you can eat the beets, and yes, you do add the beet juice.  Or if you want to save yourself the work of making the pickled beets from scratch, you can pickle the eggs using commercially canned (jarred) pickle beets, pouring it all (beets & juice) from the can into a glass or glazed (non-porous) bowl, adding some more vinegar to the pickled beet/peeled egg mixture (so as to be sure you cover the eggs with liquid), covering with Saran, and refrigerating.   If you want a little more flavor, you can a few onion flakes to the soaking mixture. 

Do you think you could use the same solution for a dozen eggs?
      Sure.  You just may have to add more vinegar so that the eggs will all be covered.  The more you dilute the beet juice with vinegar, the longer the eggs will have to soak in the mixture to get a darker color, but you can check that by taking a tablespoon and lifting one of the eggs out to determine if the color is to the shade you desire.  (Of course, you can always add another jar of beets to the soaking bowl to help the situation.)  Also, the longer the eggs are soaked in the beet juice, the further the color will penetrate inside toward the yolk.  Once colored. the white of the egg won't fade if rinsed.

Sorry for all of the questions.  I love pickled eggs and the more I can get a recipe to make, the better!

As to the jar I use, I found a plastic gallon size jar at Walmart that has a wide opening at the top , with a tight white plastic screw-on lid with a flip top.  Perfect for pickled eggs.  After one particular refrigerator disaster, I never use any kind of plastic storage container, my loving husband has never met a plastic container lid that he is can correctly & tightly close- this made for a massive pickled egg spill one time.
      The Walmart jug is perfect.  Also, one of those fondue forks that you have stashed in your utensil drawer is perfect for spearing eggs & beets.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
        Re:Pickled Eggs Sat, 04/30/11 11:30 AM (permalink)
        mayor al

FishTaco,
        With a name like your's the Eggs and Beer Combo should merge into a veritable digestive nightmare for others riding in your commuter car each morning 'after' !

You did trigger some rather green memories of fishing out of Ensenada,BC after a night of many beers in town, then a pre-boarding the boat breakfast at the Mexican Denny's right beside the sportfishing dock. Breakfast was Sausage (hot chorizo) and runny eggs, then we would buy half-dozen fish taco's to eat on the boat.  If it got a little rough on the water, things could and did get a bit ugly over the rail ! 

Yes it was a Denny's like those in the USA...but with a regional specialty menu !!!

Ahhh, Ensenada, first time I ever ate a fish taco, 30 years ago.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 34 of 34

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com