The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Road Food Suggestions--NJ to Traverse City Michigan and Back

mcdonjo

• Total Posts: 3
Road Food Suggestions--NJ to Traverse City Michigan and Back Mon, 04/25/11 2:47 PM (permalink)
Hi All. I'm looking for some good RoadFood suggestions (to me, that means local, non-chain cuisine) for a summer trip I'll be taking with the family from NE NJ to Traverse City; along 2 general routes:

Outbound:
a) I-80W to 380N to 81N towards Buffalo/Niagara Falls, through So. Ontario into Michigan towards Traverse City

Return:
b) Traverse City to Ann Arbor, through No. Ohio, to Pittsburgh, through PA to Philly, then back to Northern NJ

On the way out, we'll probably be staying overnight in Buffalo, somewhere around Dearborn, then Traverse City, and on the way back: Ann Arbor, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Gettysburrg or Lancaster County, then the Philly area. (one night in some places, 2 or more nights in others)

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

--JM

therbs

• Total Posts: 12
    Re:Road Food Suggestions--NJ to Traverse City Michigan and Back Mon, 04/25/11 5:19 PM (permalink)
    In Hazel Park michigan is Louis Pizza. Louis is a Sicillian style pizza. not a deep dish.
    Similar to Buddys pizza but the sauce is far better.
    go to  and you can see pics and menu.
    Hazel Park is just north of detrtoit.
    I have lived in Chicago and Connecticut and Louis is far and away my favorite
    In ann arbor there is a great diner called Angelo's. And from what i understand you cant go wrong with Zingermans. unfortunatly i cant tell you how to get to either. i do know that Angelo's is near U of M hospital.
    Make sure you get some Better Made potato chips, Saunders Hot fudge is a MUST. and some different flavors of Faygo soda pop or pop as we call it here.
    Have fun
    <message edited by therbs on Mon, 04/25/11 5:26 PM>

mcdonjo

Re:Road Food Suggestions--NJ to Traverse City Michigan and Back Tue, 04/26/11 8:29 AM (permalink)
      Thanks for the tips. Will be sure to check these out.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

edboogie

• Total Posts: 6
        Re:Road Food Suggestions--NJ to Traverse City Michigan and Back Wed, 04/27/11 11:25 AM (permalink)
        There is a place in downtown Traverse City called Amical.   that is a french bistro.  Very good and a nice dessert case.  Right across the street is Phil's on Front,   Which is run by Phil who was a chef at Commanders Palace in NO.  Very good.  They are both on Front street.  Down the block a bit is Macinaw Brewing co, a microbrewery that has a smoker.  They make some pretty good smoked food, and their beer is good too.  Further down Front street is North Peak, another microbrewery, with good food.  Underneath North Peak is an Irish pub called  Kilkennys.  Down Union ave is a place called Blue Tractor, a restaurant/bar combo place.  Have eaten at all of these and enjoyed them all. 

mcdonjo

Re:Road Food Suggestions--NJ to Traverse City Michigan and Back Thu, 04/28/11 8:42 AM (permalink)
          Thanks. All sound good.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com