The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ?

zxas6699

• Total Posts: 1
Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Thu, 04/28/11 3:32 AM (permalink)
If you love to grill, you've more than likely seen the GourmetPot . It's a ceramic barbeque grill which can be used as a bbq grill, smoker and also an outdoor oven. It's so adaptable you'll be able to make anything from hamburgers and steaks and other traditional bbq grill foods to desserts, bread and also pizza.

Probably the largest distinction is the overall look of the grill. GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic grill is well, firm and shaped like a big egg. The egg shape appeared to be created (on purpose) to provide the power to help you control and maintain the heat in the bbq grill a lot better than other grills.

The second biggest distinction is the material the grill is made of. Instead of being made with metal, the GourmetPot has thick ceramic walls. Ceramic is noticeably more sturdy in comparison with other materials, which means the GourmetPot will last longer than other grills and smokers, it can be used all year (even with freezing temperatures). It is also less dangerous than other grills, particularly when there are children running around, since the ceramic exterior stays cooler than regular metal barbecue grills plus you always cook with the lid down, so you won't have to be concerned with flare-ups.

Now, the does have a few negatives in comparison with other grills. For instance, it isn't an inexpensive grill. You can expect to spend approximately $559 to get a large Charcoal Ceramic grill. In addition, you have to use lump wood charcoal, which isn't always readily available and is usually a bit more expensive than traditional charcoal briquettes. The GourmetPot also has a smaller grilling surface area when compared with many gas grills, which means you'll want a back-up grill if you're entertaining a number of people.

Having said that, the overall flexibility of the GourmetPot, the ability to grill or smoke as well as the amazing results you get (the GourmetPot is very forgiving, even for newbie cooks) are worthy of the price tag. If you're a barbeque lover and you also do a lot of smoking in addition to grilling you will really enjoy the quality and the results you will get when cooking on the GourmetPot.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
    Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 12:42 PM (permalink)
    My neighbor bought one, hated it, threw it away

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17838
      Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 1:09 PM (permalink)
      Same with my neighbor. Unfortunately, it landed in my yard and I had to haul it out to the road for trash pickup. Those itty-bitty wheels didn't make it easy.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
        Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 1:11 PM (permalink)
        They need to proof their ad campaign.

Rip off of the other Kamado type grills.  Made in China.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 1:19 PM (permalink)
          Good Lord! I'd never heard of Kamado before, and I just checked it out here: http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/Ceramic-Kamado-Grills?gclid=CN-0sqGdwqgCFQnrKgod3xlKtw

Just a tad costly, seems to this poor Weber user.

mar52

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 1:29 PM (permalink)
            Those aren't expensive.  These are:

http://www.komodokamado.c...tory/current-inventory

Company owned by Art Linkletter's son.

I can't believe that these actually sell.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 1:42 PM (permalink)
              Jumpin' Jehosophat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe that old Big Green Egg isn't so expensive after all.
              Reminds me of the time I took my wife to the Grand American trapshooting competition, and after walking through a few places selling shotguns in the $40,000-$75,000 range she spotted a side-by-side Browning she knew I coveted and commented on how inexpensive it was at a mere $300. And a few weeks later she bought one for me as an early Christmas present.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 1:45 PM (permalink)
                Un.......believable!  And I thought that the Big Green Egg at $700 was a ridiculous price.

mar52

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 1:54 PM (permalink)
                  The Big Green Egg just went up a couple hundred dollars, but they have upgraded the grill to stainless steel.  Doesn't rust but also doesn't hold the heat.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2935
                    Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 9:30 PM (permalink)
                    Large BGE is $750, I just bought one the other day.

I looked at the one referenced by the OP, I lifted the lid and it broke in my hand. Piece of crap.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 9:38 PM (permalink)
                      Wow!

mar52

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Fri, 04/29/11 9:40 PM (permalink)
                        You should still be able to buy last year's model.  Did you get the stainless steel grate?  I think they also replaced the felt gasket with one made of Romex on the 2011 model.

I fried my gasket the 3rd time I used it.  One of these days I'll have to replace it as it now doesn't have a good enough seal for smoking.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
                          Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 12:30 AM (permalink)
                          mar52

Those aren't expensive.  These are:
                          http://www.komodokamado.c...tory/current-inventory
                          Company owned by Art Linkletter's son.
                          I can't believe that these actually sell.

On one model it says there are 24 coming in and there's only 3 still available. That means 21 are pre-sold!
                          Let's see--- 21 X $3000 = $63,000.00 Not a bad days business!

mar52

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 12:53 AM (permalink)
                            I think he has them made in Madagascar.
                            I really forget where they're from.

A friend of mine bought one and a year later I found a buyer for it at a big loss to him.  He decided he didn't want it.

Same "friend" bought an infrared high-end ($4,000) gas grill from me, used it once and returned it.

Normally I wouldn't have taken it back... but he was a friend.

I talked him out of buying many things from me from that point on.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
                              Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 4:13 AM (permalink)
                              mar52

I think he has them made in Madagascar.
                              I really forget where they're from.
                              A friend of mine bought one and a year later I found a buyer for it at a big loss to him.  He decided he didn't want it.
                              Same "friend" bought an infrared high-end ($4,000) gas grill from me, used it once and returned it.
                              Normally I wouldn't have taken it back... but he was a friend.
                              I talked him out of buying many things from me from that point on.

Sounds like the guy had more money than he had desire to become an accomplished cook! Probably thought it should do all the work for him.

chewingthefat

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                Hey zxas6699, got any more spam you want to post here???

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2237
                                  Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                  chewingthefat

I'm your neighbor, sorry I threw it in your garbage can...............

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
                                    Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                    Kewl, a replacement for the Orion Cooker....and more importantly, the Orion Cooker thread........

chewingthefat

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                      PNWCHEF

chewingthefat

I'm your neighbor, sorry I threw it in your garbage can...............

Check the back of your SUV, it was open, so I put the garbage can in it, and shut the door, your welcome PNWCHEF! BTW, that can really stinks, doesn't it!

chewingthefat

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                        EdSails

Kewl, a replacement for the Orion Cooker....and more importantly, the Orion Cooker thread........

Please Ed, don't go there, I simply cannot endure another Summer of the------------ thread.

<message edited by chewingthefat on Sat, 04/30/11 5:15 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                          For the longest time I thought it said onion cooker, and as I never had any need for a special cooker for onions I never looked at it.

chewingthefat

Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 8:20 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael Hoffman

For the longest time I thought it said onion cooker, and as I never had any need for a special cooker for onions I never looked at it.

Much like Seinfeld show was, it is a thread about nothing!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
                                              Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                              Michael Hoffman

Come on, Michael, you know you need this.......

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                                                Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                                zxas6699

If you love to grill, you've more than likely seen the GourmetPot . It's a ceramic barbeque grill which can be used as a bbq grill, smoker and also an outdoor oven. It's so adaptable you'll be able to make anything from hamburgers and steaks and other traditional bbq grill foods to desserts, bread and also pizza.

Probably the largest distinction is the overall look of the grill. GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic grill is well, firm and shaped like a big egg. The egg shape appeared to be created (on purpose) to provide the power to help you control and maintain the heat in the bbq grill a lot better than other grills.

The second biggest distinction is the material the grill is made of. Instead of being made with metal, the GourmetPot has thick ceramic walls. Ceramic is noticeably more sturdy in comparison with other materials, which means the GourmetPot will last longer than other grills and smokers, it can be used all year (even with freezing temperatures). It is also less dangerous than other grills, particularly when there are children running around, since the ceramic exterior stays cooler than regular metal barbecue grills plus you always cook with the lid down, so you won't have to be concerned with flare-ups.

Now, the does have a few negatives in comparison with other grills. For instance, it isn't an inexpensive grill. You can expect to spend approximately $559 to get a large Charcoal Ceramic grill. In addition, you have to use lump wood charcoal, which isn't always readily available and is usually a bit more expensive than traditional charcoal briquettes. The GourmetPot also has a smaller grilling surface area when compared with many gas grills, which means you'll want a back-up grill if you're entertaining a number of people.

Having said that, the overall flexibility of the GourmetPot, the ability to grill or smoke as well as the amazing results you get (the GourmetPot is very forgiving, even for newbie cooks) are worthy of the price tag. If you're a barbeque lover and you also do a lot of smoking in addition to grilling you will really enjoy the quality and the results you will get when cooking on the GourmetPot.

A friend of mine had one of these GourmetPots and hated it! He returned it and got a (biggest) Green Egg which now, we both love!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                                                  Re:Is The GourmetPot Charcoal Ceramic Grill--A Good Fit For You on Summer BBQ? Sat, 04/30/11 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                                  chewingthefat

Hey zxas6699, got any more spam you want to post here??? 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com