The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!!

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 04/30/11 11:21 AM (permalink)
In both the current version of Roadfood (the book) and on the web site, the middle of the Adirondacks is a big wasteland. There are no listings for Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Tupper Lake or any other frequently-visited vacation hot spots. Yes, I know there are 2 listings in Platsburg, but that's mostly down out of the main part of the preserve and certainly a bit off the beaten path, as far as a visit to the Adirondacks is concerned.
Come on roadfooders, there has got to be something above Albany and below Canada that's worth a looksee. I mean Rts 30, 28, 73, 9N & I-87 are all long stretches of driving where most visitors will spend time as they're touring this beautiful area. No diners, no beaneries, no hot dog joints, no mom & pop places, no NOTHING???
How about some help guys & gals? Rack your memories, ask your friends and give us all some notion that this huge area of American geography isn't really a food wasteland! 

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

NascarDad

Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 04/30/11 3:05 PM (permalink)
    I haven't been in Lake Placid in over a decade , not sure if it is a very roadfood place but there were some good restaurants. I will try and see if I can find any of the places I ate at there. I do remember one place had good trout.

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
      Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 04/30/11 3:23 PM (permalink)
      Lake Placid:  Caribbean Cowboy, Rustica

Schroon Lake: Pitkins
      <message edited by jaylhorner on Sun, 05/1/11 12:56 PM>

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
        Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 04/30/11 3:57 PM (permalink)
        Off the top of my head:

In Lake Placid in addition to the aforementioned recommended Caribbean Cowboy, check out Woody's http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/hot-dog-of-the-week-woodys-brats-hots-lake-placid-ny.html  I found it last fall just as she was closing.  She offered to make me something but I declined, seeing she just finished cleaning.  Nicola's on Main makes a good pizza.  Saranac Sourdough is one of my favorites for breakfast.  Coff E Bean for coffee, espresso and a great view of Mirror Lake.  The Cottage at Mirror Lake Inn.  Lake Placid Brewing-  Great beer, good food.  (I like it much better than Great Adirondack, which is ok for people watching.)

In Saranac Lake- Blue Moon Cafe.  The Left Bank Cafe had just opened and was seasonal so I don't know how they are doing right now.  But it is a great location on the river in town.

Inlet- Tamarac Cafe.  There's a bakery across the street that is very good as well.

Long Lake- Long Lake Diner and the Adirondack Hotel.  Ice cream on the corner.

Warrensburg- Oscar's Smokehouse is not to be missed.  Burned down last year and reopened.

In Old Forge, around the corner from the hardware store on a side street is a tiny bakery with great donuts and bread.

Raquette Lake- the tavern behind the general store is still old time Adirondacks. 
        <message edited by RC51Mike on Sat, 04/30/11 4:00 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
          Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 04/30/11 4:09 PM (permalink)
          I believe there is still the Howard Johnson's in Lake Placid.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3666
            Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 04/30/11 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              The Howard Johnsons  is still there and well worth a stop.  

I would  also reccommend  The  Hungry Trout in nearby  Wilmington  (from Lake Placid) which  serves  wonderful trout.  The dining room  has a great view of the  Ausabld   where  you might even see a few trout fishermen.  The  drive from Lake  Placid  to this  restaurant is  just beautiful.

There are many great restaurants in  Lake Placid   (not Roadfood.)    I  would love  to be there  right now.
            <message edited by Greymo on Sat, 04/30/11 5:32 PM>

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
              Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 04/30/11 11:12 PM (permalink)
              QFan, wish I could help you out regarding Rtes. 30, 73, 9N and I-87 but I just don't get over that way. 

However, Rte. 28 to Old Forge is one I have traveled frequently.  Here are links to a few of my reports:
              http://www.roadfood.com/F...688&high=old+forge  (Hiking up McCauley Mtn. was great!)
              http://www.roadfood.com/F...695&high=old+forge  (Some tasty pancakes at Keyes' Pancake House)
              http://www.roadfood.com/F...782&high=old+forge  (The Muffin Patch has some really great breakfasts)
              http://www.roadfood.com/F...=old+forge&mpage=1  (Check out the Buffalo Head about halfway down the page.  Lots of locals chowing down there on huge cuts of beef!)
              http://www.roadfood.com/F...920&high=old+forge  (Worth checking out are Frankie's (reviewed here on RF), Old Forge Hardware (pricey, but worth it just to stroll through and their book selection on the region in the back of the store!), and a real treat is the Raquette Lake Navigation Company).
              http://www.roadfood.com/F...005&high=old+forge  (More on Frankie's.  Also, doughnuts at Nathan's Bakery, the one that RC51Mike mentioned around the corner from Old Forge Hardware).  
              Hope this is helpful!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sun, 05/1/11 8:49 AM (permalink)
                <<Long Lake- Long Lake Diner and the Adirondack Hotel.>>

The Adirondack Hotel was the first place I ever encountered a Buffalo Chicken wing, in 1979. Started a life-long love affair.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                  Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sun, 05/1/11 9:48 AM (permalink)
                  Qfan, your post made me want to do some digging and I found this link when I Google searched "adirondack restaurants":  http://www.adirondacks.com/dining.html
                  It lists the different counties in the region and what towns are included in each county.  If you click on the link for each county it lists some of the restaurants there.  I'm sure there are some gems as well as a few frogs to be kissed in the bunch but that's part of the adventure, right?

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                    Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Mon, 05/2/11 7:52 AM (permalink)
                    Thank you Roadfooders for your great help! I knew you would come through. 
                    QFan
                    Bonita Springs, FL

Paulie

• Total Posts: 119
                      Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Fri, 05/6/11 9:05 PM (permalink)
                      Another good option, pretty convenient on/ off the Northway, is Pitkins in Schroon Lake, half an hour or so below Lake Placid.  A very good family restaurant that the locals eat at.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  They have Texas barbecue on their menu; I've never tried it, but up here why bother?  Grab the blackberry pie or cobbler if it's on the menu that day.

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                        Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sat, 05/7/11 9:46 AM (permalink)
                        Their fried chicken is also very good.

josefinajoisey

• Total Posts: 69
                          Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Tue, 05/10/11 6:10 PM (permalink)
                          Lake Placid is our favorite family destination.  We usually go in the winter, and our favorite destination for lunch is Saranac Sourdough.  The sandwiches are fresh, the bread is made in house, the salads are basic, but really tasty.  My favorite is the Jerk Chicken sandwich (spicy, spicy chicken breast with a slice of pineapple on cinnamon raison bread)

The Lake Placid menu web site is also a good starter for the area.  For breakfast we love the Downtown Diner.  (The NoonMark Diner in Keene is a big draw, but I've never been thrilled)
                          We always enjoy a late lunch, or early cocktails at The Cottage (on Mirror Lake, owned by the Mirror Lake Inn)
                          I have to confer with El Jefe (my husband) about other places, because right now I'm drawing a blank.  Enjoy!!!

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                            Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Wed, 05/11/11 9:57 AM (permalink)
                            I haven't eaten there yet, but some friends run Lucky Leprechaun in Olmstedville, NY, and from third party reviews they're supposed to be really good. It's roughly halfway between Lake Placid and Saratoga Springs.

Paulie

• Total Posts: 119
                              Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Fri, 05/27/11 9:07 PM (permalink)
                              jaylhorner

Their fried chicken is also very good.

Oops, you beat me to it.  Sorry about that- I didn't read the earlier posts closely enough.

Oscar's is  definitely worth a stop.  They no longer make sandwiches, but the staff is great and will slice you just enough for a sandwich or two.  There's a grocery store a couple blocks down to get rolls, etc.  A short drive off the Northway also.

<message edited by Paulie on Fri, 05/27/11 9:09 PM>

TwoJays

• Total Posts: 200
                                Re:In the Heart of the Adirondacks--Help!!! Sun, 05/29/11 8:56 AM (permalink)
                                Probably too late for the original poster, but there was a thread called From NY to Montreal that had a couple of ideas, including one from me:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=620939

My suggestion: "The Place" in Chestertown:

Also, just north of Glens Falls, off Exit 25 (not Exit 24 as previously written) of I-87, in Chestertown, is a great little place for Italian or Steaks - "The Place":

http://www.theplaceitalia...out%20The%20Place.html

The Italian food there is superb.  Great basic red-sauce favorites (Manicotti, Lasagna, Chicken/Veal/Eggplant Parmagiana, etc.).  The sauce is superb.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com