The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New (To Me) Hotdogs

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
New (To Me) Hotdogs Sat, 04/30/11 5:54 PM (permalink)
Yesterday, while shopping at the Giant Eagle supermarket I noticed a new package of hot dogs labeled Market Place, which is a house brand for Giant Eagle. I have no idea who makes it, but I had one last night and it was a fine thing. It's a pork and beef dog with a natural lamb (according to the label) casing. It's just spicy enough to please, and it's flat-out delicious. I didn't split and grill it, as I usually do with hot dogs. Instead, I simmered it and put it in a standard side-cut bun and topped it with just a line of Bertman's Ballpark mustard. A great dog. I'll keep buying this brand.

Speaking of mustard, I found a jar of Tabasco mustard yesterday, too. A few minutes ago I decided to take a taste. Wow! Really nice and spicy, and very tasty.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they come linked together.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sat, 04/30/11 6:02 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
    Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Sat, 04/30/11 8:07 PM (permalink)
    Speaking of (New to Me) Hot Dogs, I hooked up today with JRPfeff at Hobe's Meat Market in N. Phoenix. They're an upscale meat market.  
    http://www.thebutchershoppeathobemeats.com/
    He brought me some of the Gilberts Sausage Hot Dogs from WI this week. Smuggled them past the TSA Watchdogs! Kinda interesting  - Exchanging Smuggled Meat at someone elses meat market! They're on the menu for this evening. He's tried them and said they're pretty good. I got the regular All Beef and the ones made with Blue Cheese.

Then we went across the street to TexAZ Grill for lunch.
    http://www.texazgrill.com/
    It's an old ( By phoenix years) landmark. It's a Funky place decorated with license plates, hats, dollar bills and other assorted JUNK! Their signature dish is the Chicken Fried Steak so that's what we had. The lunch portion was hangin' over the plate huge, nicely battered and fried just right. Knives were not needed; you could cut it with a fork. It's served with skin-on, made-from-scratch mashed potatoes, milk gravy, corn, a made-from-scratch biscuit and priced right at $7.50!
    The rest of the menu is Texas oriented as well - Steaks, Brisket, chili, pork chops, chicken and catfish. Not very fancy but very good food at reasonable prices. Join the locals because it's worth a visit when you're in town. Located at 16th St & Bethany Home Rd, just off Rt 51.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
      Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Sat, 04/30/11 8:42 PM (permalink)
      Michael, 
      The description of those dogs sounds very similar to my favorite-----the house brand dog, Private Selection for Ralph's Market (Kroger). Nice snap, good flavor with a tasty beef and pork dog. I don't split them but just put them on the grill and they are fabulous.
      foodbme,
      I am so looking forward to going to the TexAz Grill when I come to Phoenix in June. Great to hear it's as good as I remember it!

Michael Hoffman

Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Sat, 04/30/11 9:57 PM (permalink)
        My preference when it comes to hot dogs is to split and grill them -- either on a flattop or in a skillet.

Foodbme

Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Sat, 04/30/11 10:18 PM (permalink)
          EdSails

foodbme,
          I am so looking forward to going to the TexAz Grill when I come to Phoenix in June. Great to hear it's as good as I remember it!

Yep, still there! Still Grungy-----Still Good!

NascarDad

Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Mon, 05/2/11 12:20 PM (permalink)
            I really enjoy the delicatessen franks from North Country Smokehouse.  They are beef and pork and seem to have a natural casing.  Some of the pork is scraps  leftover from their hams and bacons. 

Granted, very uncheap, but so good especially when I put them on the grill outside. I order them usually when I pick up some ham or bacon.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
              Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Mon, 05/2/11 1:03 PM (permalink)
              Foodbme

EdSails

foodbme,

Yep, still there! Still Grungy-----Still Good!

Foodbme is finally letting me know about his top secret favorite hangouts.  I'm buying a place here, so it may be because I will no longer be a tourist.

Foodbme

Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Mon, 05/2/11 2:41 PM (permalink)
                EdSails,
                The place JRPfeff is accusing me of hiding is a true Hideway-=--Dicks Hideaway! Don't know if you remember it but it's directly across the street from TEXAZ Grill. There's no sign so you really need to look for it. Just a speakeasy-like door.
                It's part of the Richardsons of NM Group. Richardsons place around the corner was destroyed by fire but the Hideaway survived.
                Good NM Style food! http://www.richardsonsnm.com/

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
                  Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Mon, 05/2/11 2:55 PM (permalink)
                  As usual, there's many nore good places than time. I'm really going to have to piroritize which ones I don't want to miss!

Michael Hoffman

Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Tue, 05/3/11 8:06 PM (permalink)
                    I just finished eating two more of the Market Place hot dogs that I bought a few days ago. The first one I tried I simmered and then ate it with just a line of mustard to see what it would be like, and I thought it was terrific. This evening I did two the way I prefer my hot dogs -- split and grilled. I topped them with Gulden's mustard, some pickle relish and sauerkraut, and had them in buttered and toasted, New England-style (top-split) buns. Absolutely terrific!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                      Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Wed, 05/4/11 12:22 AM (permalink)
                      Ain't nothing like a Home Dog, cooked to perfection. 

The Bear

Gilberts Sausages

• Total Posts: 31
                        Re:New (To Me) Hotdogs Thu, 05/5/11 9:24 AM (permalink)
                        Foodbme

Speaking of (New to Me) Hot Dogs, I hooked up today with JRPfeff at Hobe's Meat Market in N. Phoenix. They're an upscale meat market.  

He brought me some of the Gilberts Sausage Hot Dogs from WI this week. Smuggled them past the TSA Watchdogs! Kinda interesting  - Exchanging Smuggled Meat at someone elses meat market! They're on the menu for this evening. He's tried them and said they're pretty good. I got the regular All Beef and the ones made with Blue Cheese.

Foodbme and JRPfeff, I'd be curious to see what you thought of our dogs and sausages.  Send me a PM and give me some honest feedback.  Hope you enjoyed them as much as John did...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com