The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Time to butcher

Hot Dog Empire

• Total Posts: 175
Time to butcher Sun, 05/1/11 1:51 PM (permalink)
I will have a 2 turkeys to butcher next week, before they are too big to get in the oven. 1 for the table and one for the freezer. I know its an odd time of year to harvest but, these were raised over the winter from some incubated eggs a friend gave me. A lot of work and my next batch will only be in warmer weather. I currently raise meat chickens, so it wasn't a really big endeavor, but more than I was anticipating for sure.

I almost never cook it with the stuffing in it, but im willing to try something new if someone has something new to try. The last one I baked was put in the pan upside down and apple juice was used to baste it. Upside down because as it bakes, the juices keep dripping down on the breast meat, not just into the pan.

These will be approx 35-38lbs dressed out - so whatever is suggested, that cooking time needs to be considered. I have searched the recipe forums for idea's but didnt really see anything different. I was just wondering if someone was holding onto a recipe they haven't posted here.
<message edited by Hot Dog Empire on Sun, 05/1/11 1:53 PM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
    Re:Time to butcher Sun, 05/1/11 5:36 PM (permalink)
    Are you looking for a stuffing recipe?
    Hows this, stuff it with small raw russett potatoes and a few peeled shallots mixed in, with mini balls of sage sausage liberally distributed around!
    <message edited by chewingthefat on Sun, 05/1/11 5:39 PM>

Hot Dog Empire

Re:Time to butcher Sun, 05/1/11 7:46 PM (permalink)
      Well I have to say CTF, stuffing it with russets is new to me. It also sounds really good. I am a huuge fan of garlic and try to use it wherever I can but I know that a turkey is not the place. Shallots however, will add a nice flavor!

ETA: spelling.........
      <message edited by Hot Dog Empire on Sun, 05/1/11 7:47 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
        Re:Time to butcher Sun, 05/1/11 8:48 PM (permalink)
        I'm a Deep Fry Guy! But I've never done a bird that big.  I would suggest cutting the bird in half to:
        1. Be able to fit in a pot
        2. Use less PEANUT Oil.
        3. Cook quicker and more uniformily
        To cook, I inject the bird with a Garlic Butter Mixture then rub it down with Tony's Cajun Spices. I bring the oil up to 375 because when you put the bird in, the temp will drop. I maintain the Temp at 350. I cook the bird for 3-4 minutes per pound. A 15# bird is usually done in around 45-50 minutes 
        I'll bet when that Turkey Gobbles, the ground shakes!

Hot Dog Empire

Re:Time to butcher Sun, 05/1/11 9:47 PM (permalink)
          I have done some deep fried in peanut oil. Their great, I agree! I was just wondering if someone had an awesome recipe hidden here.....   The russets stuffed with shallots is something I will try.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
            Re:Time to butcher Mon, 05/2/11 6:49 AM (permalink)
            At this time of year I would consider slow roasting it on a large grill/smoker.
            My traditional stuffing always includes dryed apples, cranberrys,rasins, apricots, sausage, onions, celery, mushrooms and so on.
            One year a very large bird I was stuffing and I had only enough for the cavity, but I had a large box of leftover house special Chinese rice from the previous evenings meal. I used that for the neck cavity with great sucess.
            I hope you have a wiz bang feather plucker, thse are big birds. Chow Jim 

Sundancer7

Re:Time to butcher Mon, 05/2/11 10:48 AM (permalink)
              Perhaps he was talking about the combined wieght of both birds?  I noticed that he indicated that "these" birds.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Hot Dog Empire

Re:Time to butcher Mon, 05/2/11 3:58 PM (permalink)
                Sundancer7
                Perhaps he was talking about the combined wieght of both birds?  I noticed that he indicated that "these" birds.

Nope, I let them get bigger then I should have, they will be about 35lbs each. I let them "slow grow" with free ranging. Commercial places grow turkeys with hormones, chemicals and high protein feeds to get the weight up quickly. Sometimes too quickly and that results in birds that are bigger than their legs can support. Mine are usually kept between 17-24 weeks., that's a month or more longer than the commercially grown birds.
                On the "day of the deed" nobody's around. They all come back when its being put in the oven though!

"Jimeats" >> I dont have a whizbang yet. I do have the book though and a few of the parts to build one. Im still looking around for the motor.....I hate buying something like that new when I should be able to find one someone else doesn't want. Ill spend the $$ on the feather-plate and fingers because there's no getting around that.

Sundancer7

Re:Time to butcher Mon, 05/2/11 6:38 PM (permalink)
                  Hot Dog Empire. Those are huge birds.  I have never seen one that large dressed out.  One bird would be enough for a family of 40-50.

Paul E. Smith

joclyn

• Total Posts: 360
                    Re:Time to butcher Mon, 05/2/11 10:56 PM (permalink)
                    chopped celery
                    chopped onion (red works best here)
                    enough butter to lightly saute 
                    salt & pepper, sage, thyme, oregano
                    patty style breakfast sausage (habersetts is what i usually use)
                    can or two of sliced water chestnuts, chopped into halves or quarters
                    loaf of good jewish rye (the kind that has a harder consistancy).  i usually use seeded
                    turkey broth or chicken if that's all you can get (i use low-fat/low-sodium type)

saute the celery & onion in the butter - add s&p to taste (go light on the salt, if you use it at all at this point) and add in the sage, thyme & oregano - also to taste, go heavier on the sage than the other two and go pretty light on the oregano (it's a stronger herb).  once the celery and onion are *just* starting to go clear, remove from heat.

chunk the sausage patties and pan fry until brown/cooked through; drain on paper towels and then add to the onion/celery mix.  then add the water chestnuts and mix well -  taste and add more pepper and herbs if needed.  maybe a touch of salt, not too much, though, because there's some in the broth that you'll add later!

next, tear the bread into fairly small chunks and mix in then add some broth and mix again - you want just enough broth so as to *just* moisten the bread so it holds the mixture together lightly.

amounts of ingredients will vary due to preference as well as size of bird. 

i like to make this pretty much half/half sausage/vegy's and the bread is just a slight 'after-thought'.  i'm just not into soggy bread!  i've also made it very heavy on the vegy's (and added mushrooms the one year, too) and just had the sausage in 'for a taste of it' and went a bit heavier on the bread to compensate for not as much sausage.   got just as many compliments with that version as with the original. 

i stuff the bird lightly (don't pack it down) and only 2/3 full  to allow for basting it with the juices from the pan.  any stuffing that doesn't fit goes in a separate pan and also gets a few shots of pan drippings - then it's covered and put in the oven once the turkey comes out - i'll turn the temp down to 275 and let that extra bit cook (along with any vegy's that also need to be heated).   if people like really crusty stuffing, once the it's cooked, i'll remove the cover and leave it in the oven another 10-15 minutes for it to crisp up.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com