The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns

mcguirejohnr

• Total Posts: 111
Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/1/11 9:15 PM (permalink)
I am preparing for another run to Texas BBQ heaven...Lockhart, TX.  Here are the places on my list to visit...what am I missing?

Lockhart - Kreuz, Smitty's, Chisholm Trail  and Black's
Taylor - Louis Mueller's
LaGrange - Prause's
Elgin - Meyer's Elgin Smokehouse
Luling - City Market
Bastrop - Cartright's
Lexington - Snow's will not be able to make this one since it is only open on Saturday)
Dallas - Sonny Bryan's (original location)

Looking primarily for BBQ places but could make a few other stops for special places as well (Round Rock Donuts?).
<message edited by mcguirejohnr on Fri, 05/6/11 12:51 PM>

mascot

• Total Posts: 5
    Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/1/11 9:57 PM (permalink)
    We made the trek to Lockhart about a week ago and while Black's was very good we were more impressed with Burnet Feed Store BBQ in Burnet, TX.

kaszeta

Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/1/11 11:33 PM (permalink)
      Franklin's in Austin if you can work it.  Seriously.  Worth driving up from Lockhart.

Check out my recent thread: http://www.roadfood.com/F...ood-Carts-m645521.aspx

mcguirejohnr

Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 12:49 PM (permalink)
        Thanks.  In addition to Franklins I have found these other three that sound interesting.

City Meat Market in Giddings, TX
        City Market in Schulenburg, TX
        Zimmerhanzels in Smithville, TX

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
          Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 1:00 PM (permalink)
          A bit off the beaten path but Cooper's In Llano is another good place as is The Salt Lick in Driftwood. All depending on if you have the time.

mcguirejohnr

Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 1:03 PM (permalink)
            I may have to hit Burnet Feed Store, Coopers and The Salt Lick on another trip...just a bit too far West to get it done in the time I have.  

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
              Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 2:23 PM (permalink)
              For one thing, forget Sonny Bryan's in Dallas. Not sure of the last time you were in Dallas but if it was before Sonny died, please know things are different now because of the new owners (lawyers). Very different! and, I don't mean for the better.
              Traveling south on I-35 on the north side of Belton, you can take Hwy. 92 south straight to Taylor for lunch at Louie Mueller BBQ. Things have changed there as well but it's still good. Albeit, not as good as when Bobby was alive. His son Wayne is running it now. I was there about 3 weeks ago and it was good but, not as incredibly great as it used to be. I'll leave it to you to judge for yourself and then tell us all what you thought of it.
              The most important thing to tell you is to make sure you go to  FRANKLIN BBQ in Austin proper. But fair warning - They usually sell out of their six star brisket by 10:30AM! And, they're closed on Mondays, now. In addition, IMHO I do not like Coopers, Kreuz Market or, Salt Lick. In Lockhart I like Smitty's and Black's and both, Southside Market and Meyer's (great sausage) in Elgin.
              Other than that, it sounds like you know "the drill". Have a great trip!

Twinwillow

Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 2:28 PM (permalink)
                kaszeta

Franklin's in Austin if you can work it.  Seriously.  Worth driving up from Lockhart.

Check out my recent thread: http://www.roadfood.com/F...ood-Carts-m645521.aspx

Definitely check out kaszeta's link and note my own comments there.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
                  Re:Dalls, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 2:58 PM (permalink)
                  Twin, I'm with you on Smitty's and Black's but there's another on just up the road that is kind of a sleeper as BBQ places go it's the Chisholm Trail. I have not been there so I can only say what others have told me and they say it's pretty good. We live way up in Georgetown so when we have occasion to go to Cabella's or for a vacation in Port Aransas we will spend some time in Lockhart. I was underwhelmed with Kreiz market. Who ever said lawyers knew knew anything about BBQ?

planojim

• Total Posts: 175
                    Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 3:21 PM (permalink)
                    for me, not much is better after a lot of bbq than some good ice cream, and Amy's Ice Cream in Austin is some of the better I've had.  Several locations in Austin.

http://www.amysicecreams.com/2.0/#/home/

plb

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 3:37 PM (permalink)
                      You did not say what days.  Most of the BBQ places are closed on Sundays.  Try Southside Market in Elgin, it is open on Sundays and you will be beefed out by then so try their sausage and their Mutton.

Twinwillow

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 3:47 PM (permalink)
                        brisketboy ~ I'll try that Chisholm Trail next time I visit number 2 son in Austin. Thanks.

Twinwillow

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 3:58 PM (permalink)
                          Re: FRANKLIN BBQ. I hope no one will be offended by this OUTRAGEOUSLY FUNNY "Hitler rant" that's been going around on Youtube. If you are offended, please say so and I will remove it. There is "commercial" before the video starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg&feature=player_embedded

mcguirejohnr

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 5:19 PM (permalink)
                            I have done Chisolm Trail before and liked it but it isn't a classic feel like the Smitty's, Balcks and Kruez.  I will say that the chopped beef sandwich at Chisolm Trail was a standout winner though...it had some kind of sweet non-BBQ sauce that is probably something really simple but tasted very good with the chopped beef.  I was not a fan out the Southside Market in Elgin but will give it another go as it continues to get good reviews.  Franklins will be a new stop for me and I am excited about that one for sure.  Trip is during the week so I will miss out on Snow's yet again.  BTW...from my travels Prause's in LaGrange has the best sausage hands down. 

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
                              Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 9:09 PM (permalink)
                              Y'all are listing some really good barbecue but if you want to see how an old master does it hit R&G in McMahan Texas [ten minutes from Lockhart-ancient building-old school pit boss who learned his chops in Luling]

http://chowpapi.com/?p=974

carollwdls

• Total Posts: 86
                                Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                If ya have to have BBQ in DullAss, skip Sonny Bryan's and head to Lockhart Smokehouse in Oak Cliff, which will be on the way outta town to the best places which are down south of here. Lockhart Smokehouse is new, but 2 bites into my BBQ brisket (Regular/Fatty ~ NOT Lean!) I was able to say that it was the best in Dallas proper. Forget the sides & other diversions ~ although I did like the Deviled Eggs ~ ~ Check the local blogs & you'll definitely put it on your list, even though it IS pricey...

CiaoMeOwww Carol

Twinwillow

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Fri, 05/6/11 10:07 PM (permalink)
                                  SHE,BlackQueen

If ya have to have BBQ in DullAss, skip Sonny Bryan's and head to Lockhart Smokehouse in Oak Cliff, which will be on the way outta town to the best places which are down south of here. Lockhart Smokehouse is new, but 2 bites into my BBQ brisket (Regular/Fatty ~ NOT Lean!) I was able to say that it was the best in Dallas proper. Forget the sides & other diversions ~ although I did like the Deviled Eggs ~ ~ Check the local blogs & you'll definitely put it on your list, even though it IS pricey...

CiaoMeOwww Carol

I've been to Lockart Smokehouse in Dallas (Oak Cliff) and it is good. Like I said, good. But not great. But for Dallas, it's probably the closest we have to Central Texas BBQ. There are some things I really like about Lockhart Smokehouse and, many things I don't like. Namely the cost. Brisket is $15.95 a pound. An average visit can easily cost over $30.00 or more each person.
                                  And another thing I don't like is their practice of putting each meat item on a separate piece of flimsy butcher paper. So, say you order brisket, ribs and sausage. You're carrying three loads of grease stained butcher paper back to your table. You've got to sort thru all the greasy paper to get to your meats. But, its good enough for BBQ starved Dallas to keep us coming back. The brisket is the best in Dallas and all the meats have that Central Texas smoke flavor. And yes, "SHE, BlackQueen" is right. The deviled eggs are very good!
                                  <message edited by Twinwillow on Fri, 05/6/11 10:30 PM>

mcguirejohnr

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                    I am staying one night in the Market Center area so I will try out Lockhart Smokehouse. 

Twinwillow

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                      mcguirejohnr

I am staying one night in the Market Center area so I will try out Lockhart Smokehouse. 

Four things. One, bring your own fork because they don't use any. Two, ask for your brisket to be cut from the fattier, point section. And three, bring money because it ain't cheap. The fourth?
                                      Being that you're from Kansas, you'd better bring your own sauce. Because you won't get any there. Or, most anywhere in Central Texas for that matter.
                                      Enjoy!
                                      <message edited by Twinwillow on Sun, 05/15/11 5:13 PM>

plb

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                        Twinwillow

mcguirejohnr

Three things. One, bring your own fork because they don't use any. Two, ask for your brisket to be cut from the fattier, point section. And three, bring money because it ain't cheap.
                                        Enjoy!

It got a one star (out of 5) review by the Dallas Morning News.
                                        http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/restaurants/headlines/20110511-restaurant-review-lockhart-smokehouse-1-star-.ece

Twinwillow

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 1:28 PM (permalink)
                                          Yes, just ★. However, the reviewer is from Los Angeles. So you couldn't expect her to fully understand Central Texas BBQ. I've been to LS quite a few times. Is it the best in Texas, NO! Is it the best in Dallas? Probably yes if it's a good day. And, they do have more good days than bad ones.

Littleman

• Total Posts: 590
                                            Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 4:08 PM (permalink)
                                            Here's a few good BBQ joints in Dallas.  Good luck.

Off the Bone BBQ @ 1734 South Lamar St., TX 214 - 565 - 9551. http://offthebonebarbeque.com/

Randy's BBQ @ 271 S Hwy 342, Red Oak, TX 972 - 617 - 3336.
                                            Longoria's BBQ @ 100 Christopher Drive, Fort Worth, TX 817 - 568 - 9494.
                                            Angelo's BBQ @ 2533 White Settlement Road, Fort Worth, TX 817 - 332 - 0357. http://angelosbbq.com/

Meshack's BBQ @ 240 East Avenue B, Garland, TX 214 - 227 - 4748.  

chickenplucker

• Total Posts: 162
                                              Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                              Just curious.. Is the sausage that almost all of these pits smoke made of beef or pork?

Twinwillow

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                                Hmm, not exactly sure. I'll call Lockhart Smokehouse right now and report back.

Just called Lockhart Smokehouse. They said it was a combination of beef and pork. (As I suspected).
                                                <message edited by Twinwillow on Sun, 05/15/11 5:08 PM>

chickenplucker

• Total Posts: 162
                                                  Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Sun, 05/15/11 5:52 PM (permalink)
                                                  Wow, Thanks for going to the trouble.  I hope to get out there someday to try some of these spots.

kaszeta

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Mon, 05/16/11 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                                    Littleman

Angelo's BBQ @ 2533 White Settlement Road, Fort Worth, TX 817 - 332 - 0357. http://angelosbbq.com/

I've been to Angelo's many times.  Still one of my favorite Fort Worth BBQ stops.

Sundancer7

Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Mon, 05/16/11 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                      I have been to Lockhart many times and in my personal opinion Smitty's has the best sausage and Kreuz has the best brisket.  I do not prefer the lean brisket and ask for the fatty part. It is much more moist and tastier.  You do not need sauce with good BBQ.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

mcguirejohnr

• Location: Overland Park, KS
                                                        Re:Dallas, TX to Lockhart, TX and Surrounding Towns Tue, 05/17/11 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                                        UPDATE:

I just returned from my little BBQ excursion which had to be cut short by a few days but I do have a few places to report back on.  Also, I did not have time to make it down to Austin as I had originally planned so many of the suggestions will have to wait until next trip...I really wanted to get to Franklins!

My first stop was on my way into Dallas at a place called Bigfoot BBQ on Hwy 69 in Caddo, Oklahoma.  I had driven past this place many times and it was always busy so I decided to stop in and try it.  Bad decision...it was not very good at all.  I had a half slab of ribs and a half pound of brisket.  The ribs were a greasy mess and were the style of ribs where the skin is kind of glossy.  The brsiket was thin, dry, no smoke ring and just plain nasty.  Add to that a couple of skanky servers wearing flip flops and dirty clothes.

Next stop was the Lockhart Smokehouse is Dallas.  I liked the setup because it did remind me of being in Lockhart.  The Sausage was good but a little loose.  It seems like the Texas style sausage can sometimes be a bit loose like this.  The ribs were just OK.  I had 5 ribs from the short end and I think they just didn't have enough time on the smoker.  The fat had not been rendered out all the way and these still had that glossy appearance and texture that I don't care for in a pork spare rib.  The beef was cut into nice thick pieces and it was exceptionally juicy, however, it too needed more time on the smoker as it was super tough...a shame because it seemed to have promise.  I suspected the ribs and brisket were not quite ready when the guy running the smoker took them out directly from the smoker because all the other wrapped units had sold out.  The deviled eggs were unusual but very good.  I would probably try this place again.  I really think I just got meat that wasn't ready.

Clark's Outpost BBQ in Tioga, Texas was on my agenda the next day.  It is not too far north of Dallas and it is a very pretty drive through some beautiful horse country.  This place rocks.  You sit down, order and are served at a table...no Lockhart style smokehouse line here.  The brisket was outstanding with thick slices and a thick bark and smoke ring with lots of smokey flavor.  It was trimmed way too lean for my taste, however.  It would be better if they left some fat on it.  Sausage was very good and more of a kansas city style smoked polish sausage rather than the typical Texas links.  The ribs were superb with a crusty bark and tender but still some feel to the bite.  Lots of side itmes to choose from (I did collards and fried okra) and a bottle of warm sauce.  Great staff too.  Worth the 15 mile detour off of I35 for sure.

Next up was Vans Pig Stand in Shawnee, Oklahoma.  The ribs were very similar to Clark's Outpost described above and just really wonderful.  Sausage was good as well...again very similar to Clark's.  I skipped the brisket in favor of chopped pork (Oklahoma version of pulled pork) and it was outstanding although a little sauce id help it out quite a bit.  I like the chopped version better as it has lots of little pieces  but some bigger chinks left in there as well.  Sides were cole slaw (uninspired and probably from a large supplier) and green beans that were AWESOME.  They were flavored with something like bacon or ham but it was neither of those...perhaps some of the pork shoulder drippings?   Very good prices here by the way.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com