- Joined: 1/28/2004
- Location: West Peoria, IL
I know that one of the ingredients (morel mushrooms) for this recipe won't be available for many of you, but since I had never heard of a morel pie and this recipe was published in today's Peoria Journal-Star, I thought some of you might find it interesting. They said it was adapted from a recipe of Chef Michael Higgins of Maldaner's Restaurant in Springfield (IL). Since I am personally not a morel hunter, I have not tried this recipe.
1 pre-baked pie shell
1/4 lb. butter
1 sweet onion (Vadalia preferred), julienned
1/2 lb. morel mushrooms (from the accompanying picture, probably coarsely chopped)
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 cup grated Parmegiano
2 cups cream (not half & half)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup cracker crumbs
- Brush pre-baked pie shell with Dijon mustard and sprinkle with some of the grated cheese. Heat in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese melts.
- Saute onions in butter until soft. Add morels and cook until they are soft and half of the juice has reduced.
- Add thyme, cream and remaining cheese. Simmer; then add the beaten eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle cracker crumbs on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until top is brown and custard is set. Cool before cutting.