The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Blue Ridge Parkway

dewdrop

• Total Posts: 3
Blue Ridge Parkway Sun, 05/8/11 7:37 PM (permalink)
Blue Ridge Parkway - driving from Cherokee NC to Waynesboro, VA in 4 days.  Would love some good road food not too far off the parkway.  
<message edited by dewdrop on Sun, 05/8/11 8:17 PM>

NascarDad

Re:Blue Ridge Parkway Mon, 05/9/11 9:27 AM (permalink)
    Blue Ridge Pig - pricey Q but def roadfood hole in the wall.  Not sure how far off the parkway it is exactly because I have never driven betwen the two.  Blue Ridge Pig is on 151 in Nellysford near Wintergreen.   I have had their ribs which are almost always very good, their Q has been slightly hit or miss, but I love their smoked turkey sandwiches as well.  Inside is small and stuffy and usually cramped by people standing in line to order, outside there are picnic tables. I have seen the smokehouse out back too, very cool.

Also a place near Blue Ridge Pig (other side of the car wash) called Basic Necessities, only eaten there once its a little bit "frou-frou" for me, but I always stop in to buy some fresh bread and some chocolate, sometimes some cookies, some wine.

There was a place in the same plaza as blue ridge pig that was pretty good but not sure it is still there, also down the road there may be a Diner.

Also one place I have heard good things about but not been yet is the Devils Backbone Brewing Company also near Nellysford. 

<message edited by NascarDad on Mon, 05/9/11 9:28 AM>

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
      Re:Blue Ridge Parkway Mon, 05/9/11 9:35 AM (permalink)
       Here's a great idea...get off the Blue ridge at Spruce Pine NC and head the few miles to the picturesque town of Burnsville,NC. The Nu Wray in is a charming mid 19th century hotel,known for their grteat family style brehttp://www.historicburnsvilleinn.com/akfasts and dinners.We've gone many times and are always charmed by the beauty and simplicity of the life style. I feel like I'm in Mayberry!! The people are great.....it'd be a fun stop!!

Pogo

• Total Posts: 269
        Re:Blue Ridge Parkway Mon, 05/9/11 10:25 PM (permalink)
        If you go to the Nu-Wray Inn at Burnsville, NC, watch your driving! The Burnsville cops will make up things to give you a ticket for. Seriously, watch your every move in a vehicle, it's a ticket trap in that town.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
          Re:Blue Ridge Parkway Tue, 05/10/11 5:08 AM (permalink)
          Hell,years ago,they only had two cop cars...and one traffic light....never gave us any trouble!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com