The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ?

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Thu, 05/12/11 11:22 AM (permalink)
After being very ill for many months I'm well enough to travel with my husband , Paul , for a business related conference to San Francisco July 24-29 . We'll be staying at The Marriott on Union Square . Any suggestions for wonderful food adventures during our stay ? :)

mar52

• Total Posts: 7598
    Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Thu, 05/12/11 11:42 AM (permalink)
    Hi Sweetie,

Tadich Grill is a must.  I think it's the oldest restaurant in  the state or city.  The last thing I had there many years ago was halibut florentine.  Everything there is delicious.

Enjoy yourselves!

Mama's on Washington Square - San Francisco, CA  Great place for breakfast.  My oldest niece used to be a waitress there.  She went there because she remembered it as a kid.

iqdiva

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Thu, 05/12/11 11:44 AM (permalink)
      Thank you Sweet Darlin' :) Wish that Paul & I could see you while we're in CA ! Hugs N' Love :)

nixienox

• Total Posts: 97
        Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 3:10 AM (permalink)
        San Francisco is currently exploding with interesting and unusual tastes in donuts and ice cream. Head to the Mission to Bi Rite creamery  http://biritecreamery.com/menu.html
        Creative ice cream flavor combinations at Humphrey Slocombe http://www.humphryslocombe.com/|_Flavors_|.html
        Then try some the flavor combinations at the nearby Dynamo Donut stand http://www.dynamodonut.com/
        One of my family's favorite restaurants was the Saint Francis Fountain, the restaurant we most want to magically appear around the corner from our house http://www.stfrancisfountainsf.com/
        Slocombe, St Francis and Dynamo are all near one another on 24th Street in the Mission.
        For pizza I recommend Delfina http://www.pizzeriadelfina.com/

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
          Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 10:10 AM (permalink)
          At Tadlich, go for the sand dabs if they have them or the Cioppino.  pan-fried fish is good too.   In Chinatown, try New Moon on Stockton, one of the BBQ stands with a few tables/chairs.  Also Ton Kiang on Geary for dimsum all day.  And don't forget the Ferry Building marketplace instead of Fisherman's Wharf.  An Irish coffee at Buena Vista is a good treat too.

iqdiva

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 10:18 AM (permalink)
            Thank you Dear Roadfood Friend !

iqdiva

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 10:20 AM (permalink)
              Wonderful  suggestions Nixienox ! Thank you Dear Roadfood Friend !

steveindurham3

• Total Posts: 31
                Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 3:07 PM (permalink)
                Agree with the Tadich Grill.  Other suggestions would be Trattoria Contadina in North Beach (great Italian)  and the Stinking Rose ( garlic themed restaurant)   which is very good.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                  Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 3:18 PM (permalink)
                  NUMBER ONE: TADICH GRILL! Go early because there is always a line.
                  Also, Boulevard!
                  And one of my favorite's: SWAN OYSTER DEPOT on Polk Street!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7598
                    Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 3:36 PM (permalink)
                    It would be fun to meet you.

I'm a naysayer.  Pass on The Stinking Rose.  Although I love garlic, they serve mediocre food loaded with garlic.

Make sure to have some dungeness crab while there unless you had it in Seattle.

If you have a car drive down Lombard Street, see Golden Gate Park, Coy Tower, Polk Street for Italian food, the corner of Haight and Ashbury  (I think you know why) and the view from Ghirardelli Square.

I like driving up to Sausalito to walk around and look at the art.  Up from there is Sam's at Tiburon where I could sip (gulp) Ramos Gin Fizzes all day.  You'd have to drive back if I was there.

I've not done any of that in probably 30+ years.  

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 3:47 PM (permalink)
                      Keep in mind my recommendations are 4 years old
                      But yes- I whole heartedly agree with Tadich Grill - get the Cioppino

Also the Petrale Sole and Sour Dough bread were spectacular at Sam's Grill

For a real - non touristy experience in Chinatown- go to
                      Dol Ho- for a Dim Sum brunch- you and your husband will likely be the only "round eyes" there. their address is 808 Pacific Avenue.

Finally for a mission style burrito (in the mission district of course) Taqueria Pancho Villa

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17819
                        Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 4:04 PM (permalink)
                        I absolutely agree about Tadich Grill being a must. I wish Ernie's was still around, because that was always my favorite. Elegant and delicious.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
                          Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 4:04 PM (permalink)
                          Here's Sterns Review on Swan Oyster Depot. It's my favorite hole in the wall in SF.
                          http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/365-365/swan-oyster-depot

kaszeta

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 4:40 PM (permalink)
                            Swan Oyster Depot is good.  As is Tadich Grill.

If doing the Mission, I recommend several places:

Any of several taquerias in the Mission.  I like La Taqueria:

Dynamo Donut.  Famous as one of several places that does a bacon donut, some of their other donuts (chocolate rose, in particular), are really, really good:

(Just got back from SF, actually, need to do a trip report.  You can, however, look at my reviews so far here)

Twinwillow

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 6:47 PM (permalink)
                              Not sure if it's still in business, but a "must try" is, "Blum's" ice cream, sweet shop and bakery. Originally on Polk Street a few blocks south of California Street, they moved to Union Square years ago. And thats where you'll find them today if they're still in business. My favorite sundae was the "Creme de Menthe".
                              See if they're still in business for when you want a sweet treat. 
                              And also try, "Tommy's Joynt" on Geary. It's a hoot of a restaurant serving excellent food as shown on Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives.
                              http://www.tommysjoynt.com

Twinwillow

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/13/11 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                mar52

I'm a naysayer.  Pass on The Stinking Rose.  Although I love garlic, they serve mediocre food loaded with garlic.

Make sure to have some dungeness crab while there unless you had it in Seattle.

If you have a car drive down Lombard Street, see Golden Gate Park, Coy Tower, Polk Street for Italian food, the corner of Haight and Ashbury  (I think you know why) and the view from Ghirardelli Square.

I like driving up to Sausalito to walk around and look at the art.  Up from there is Sam's at Tiburon where I could sip (gulp) Ramos Gin Fizzes all day.  You'd have to drive back if I was there.

I've not done any of that in probably 30+ years.  

I agree with all the above. Especially about what "mar52" had to say about "Stinking Rose". You can do much better most anywhere in SF. 

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                  Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Sat, 05/14/11 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                  Green's Tavern in North Beach, if it's still there. Hole in the wall, with menu on a blackboard, but cheap and a ton of food.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                    Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Sat, 05/14/11 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                    Can't imagine why no-one has mentioned Tommy's Joynt. When I lived out there it was my go to place. Especially, for roadfood style cuisine. The buffalo dinner is great and the turkey (sandwich or plate) is some of the best in the country. They've also got a truly impressive beer list, if you like beer.

http://www.tommysjoynt.com/
                                    <message edited by Root-Beer Man on Sat, 05/14/11 2:26 PM>

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                                      Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Sat, 05/14/11 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                      Hi. I live in Sf and will be glad to provide more suggestions if you tell me what kinds of things you like or want to try. You can PM me if you like.
                                      Generally I agree with all the suggestions.

yes to Tadich Grill and to Sam's. Both delightful old SF restaurants. I would avoid the Stinking Rose. I love garlic but its not very good.
                                      The Ferry Building is a must. Tommys Joynt is fun. And typical of many SF hofbrau type places that used to exist. The food is ok. The beer is cold.

There are exceptional other choices. Mission street burritos which have been mentioned ( there are many opinions as to which to go to), very very good Thai food, Yucatanean food, etc.
                                      Dungeness crab is wonderful. let me know what kinds of things you want.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                        Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Sat, 05/14/11 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                        If you have time some morning, Nini's cafe/coffee shop in San Mateo, just a few blocks off the 101 south, serves possibly the best breakfast in the Bay area if not the entire USA, it's about a 35-40 minute hop from where you are staying, it's in a residential neighborhood, you'll find yourself asking, how the heck did this get here? Trust me, the treck is worth it!

Twinwillow

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Sat, 05/14/11 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                          Root-Beer Man

Can't imagine why no-one has mentioned Tommy's Joynt. When I lived out there it was my go to place. Especially, for roadfood style cuisine. The buffalo dinner is great and the turkey (sandwich or plate) is some of the best in the country. They've also got a truly impressive beer list, if you like beer.

http://www.tommysjoynt.com/

Root Beer Man ~ I mentioned Tommy's Joynt including the link to their website the day before you posted that you couldn't imagine why nobody's mentioned it. My post is the third above yours.

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
                                            Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Wed, 05/18/11 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                            iqdiva--check out this recent slideshow of foods at the Ferry Bulding Market:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/ferry-plaza-market-building-farmers-market-best-place-to-eat-san-francisco-ca-bay-area-slideshow.html#show-143589

Not everything would be my cup of tea, but plenty are tempting and not that expensive either.

Crew

smokestack lightning

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Thu, 05/19/11 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                              The Ferry Building Market is a must. Some other ideas in SF. Stay away from teh tourist places such as Fisherman's Wharf, The Stinking Rose,  Tommys Joynt, etc. (If you want great sandwiches there are far better places although the beer is cold...). There are great Mexican, Central American, Yucatanean, Asian and other ethnic places to explore. Check out the Fruitvale district of Oakland for example. If you want California style pizza try Pizzaiolo in Oakland. For a non trendy old style burger joint check out Bills Place on Clement. Try Scream in Oakland for wold class sorbet.  If you happen to be around the Westfield Mall on Market Street the Lark Creek Steakhouse has an amazing burger.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                                Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/27/11 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                                Susan, we're going almost exactly a month before you, so I'll be sure to post what we liked or didn't quickly.  We're staying in Nob Hill during the week and have a room the weekend before in Sausalito.  I'm so glad to hear you're up for a trip!

Twinwillow

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Fri, 05/27/11 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'm jealous! My daughter lives there so, I guess a trip is due.

Nancypalooza

Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Wed, 06/29/11 10:35 PM (permalink)
                                                    Oh Susan, rats.  I'm afraid I'm too late for you, but I'll post my quick summary anyway.

My don't misses, in order of crucialness: Burma Superstar in the Avenues (go there right now if you haven't left yet), The Monk's Kettle in the Mission (currently my favorite burger ever), Slanted Door at the Ferry Building, Swan's Oyster Depot (we went twice), Bi-Rite Creamery in the Mission (though oddly my beloved Salted Caramel is probably the one flavor that Humphry Slocombe does better), the Petite Deli in North Beach, a total joint called Victor's for burritos near AT&T park (get the fish), Fred's Place in Sausalito for breakfast, Breakers in Stinson Beach.

Other good food that we had: Salsalito's Fish Tacos in Sausalito, baked goods from Miller's East Coast Deli and Bob's Donuts, pizza or pasta from Uncle Vito's in Nob Hill, the crispy chicken bowl from Hapa Ramen, Scream Sorbet, a grilled cheese sandwich featuring Cowgirl Creamery and Point Reyes Creamery cheeses served at the Muir Woods snack bar, Miette Bakery shortbreads.

Things we were strongly recommended but didn't get to: Pizzeria Delfina (also mentioned above) and the Little Star, Olea in Nob Hill.

Seriously, I've never been to such a gastronomically comprehensive place in my life.  We didn't want to leave.  I hope you're having a wonderful trip.

smokestack lightning

• Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                      Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Wed, 06/29/11 11:47 PM (permalink)
                                                      Wow, nancypalooza  you did great. Good choices.

A few more comments. As has been noted, Sf and teh Bay area are very filled with great food choices, some roadfood type and some not. My strong suggestions are to focus on what is unique here and tehre is much. If you let me know what kinds of things you want to find I can advise in more detail.
                                                      Again, go to the Tadich Grill.
                                                      There is great Asian food of every kind here as well. Yucatanean food is also great. Go to the Ferry Building on Saturday morning.

Fave burritos or tacos in the Mission District. Many choices. Try Mission Chinese. Blue Bottle Coffee. Food trucks.

Nancypalooza

• Location: Columbia, SC
                                                        Re:Which eating establishments should we visit while in San Francisco ? Thu, 06/30/11 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                                        See, we went out there with the Tadich Grill being my only don't-miss and ended up going to Swan's a second time.  We didn't rely on one source--we used Yelp and Roadfood and http://www.7x7.com/eat-drink/2010-big-eat-sf-100-things-try-you-die and asked a lot of people, heavy on the locals.  We flat-out interviewed the lady who rented us our VRBO apartment about food.  (Extremely helpful, and her place was gorgeous.)  We tended to just cross-reference all the lists and then just pick what sounded great to us, but it seems like San Francisco is one of those places where you can have a transcendent experience with a grocery store deli counter sandwich.  When we were there the Ferry Building was also hosting a farmers market/food stand thing on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com