The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Bad Coney Idea

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
Bad Coney Idea Fri, 02/6/04 3:17 PM (permalink)
The latest sign that the world is coming to an end: Last night at a Skyline Chili restaurant in Gahanna, Ohio I saw the latest Atkins link. Skyline is serving a low-carb take on its coneys. Two dogs, with coney sauce, mustard, onions and shredded cheese in a bowl. No bun.

Brahma Bob

• Total Posts: 46
    RE: Bad Coney Idea Sun, 02/8/04 5:38 PM (permalink)
    This Atkins thing has gone way over the top. Here in CA it's Atkins everything. All the burger joints now serve their burgers w/out buns. Everything's there... salad, cheese, secret sauce, pickles... just wrapped up in paper. I just don't get it!

I have a friend that's been on Atkins for a few years. He's never complained about the bread, or bun, or whatever. He just eats what he wants and leaves the rest. That seems reasonable to me.

I wondered when it would infect the hot dog world. Frankly, I had hoped that we would be immune.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: Bad Coney Idea Sun, 02/8/04 5:47 PM (permalink)
      Atkins diet hot dog? Isn't diet hot dog something of an oxymoron? (Or at least a bovymoron?)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
        RE: Bad Coney Idea Sun, 02/8/04 5:54 PM (permalink)
        Based on Skyline's Atkins-compliant coney I have the answer for those who love Connecticut lobster rolls but don't want the carbs. Lots of hot buttered lobster in a bowl. Just use a spoon.

I am one amazing innovator!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Bad Coney Idea Mon, 02/9/04 9:08 AM (permalink)
          I just personally sit back and laugh watching these people and their fads! Not only in food, but right down to everyone wearing the same frames for their eye glasses... Just gives me a chuckle everytime I see a copycat! Someday they'll figure out the best diet is moderation! It's worked for years! Until these Fad Goers figure that out, I'll just sit back and chuckle!
          And I feel it's a crime to remove the bun from the hot dog! Is there no shame?

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
            RE: Bad Coney Idea Mon, 02/9/04 9:24 AM (permalink)
            It's just like the fat free craze a few years ago. Everyone was on the low fat diet and every commercial you saw was for fat-free or low fat food. It took people a while to realize that the way they kept up the flavor in these products is to add more sugar which turns into fat in the body if not used right away. This Atkins craze will cycle through and then something else will come along and we'll see all the commercials aimed towards those on whatever the new diet is. I did Atkins a few years ago and I'll have to say, I didn't think it was such a big deal to take the bun off myself.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com