The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Route 9 in Maine

barbhelm

Route 9 in Maine Sun, 05/22/11 11:09 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Does anyone know of places to eat on/off Route 9 in Maine?  We will be driving through in September on our way to Nova Scotia.

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
    Re:Route 9 in Maine Mon, 05/23/11 8:57 PM (permalink)
    [This post was marked as helpful]
    I'm going to assume you mean Route 9 (the Air Line) from Bangor to Calais and then cross over to New Brunswick... slim pickins', I'm sorry to say. My best advice is to grab a bite in Bangor or wait until you hit Canada. Dysart's is pretty good, just off the highway technically in Hampden, but close to Bangor. There used to be a good restaurant in Calais called the Chandler House, but it is gone now. St Stephen NB has a little seasonal fish and chip place on the river that is good. Try the lobster roll! St Andrews is a little tourist town with several restaurants and a fine old hotel, the Algonquin.
     St John has some good pubs, especially in the area of the Public Market, which is worth a visit.
     I'm sorry I can't help more- my info is a few years old now.  FYI in Canada and the eastern US, Irving gas stations are known for their clean restrooms and some have pretty decent diners attached. We ate at several throughout the Maritimes.

barbhelm

Re:Route 9 in Maine Mon, 05/23/11 9:11 PM (permalink)
      You assumed correctly and I thank you so much for your information.  I did notice there was not much on 9 when I tried the Maps application so I thought I would try out the Forum and you came through.  Thanks so much.

mollydingle

I'm going to assume you mean Route 9 (the Air Line) from Bangor to Calais and then cross over to New Brunswick... slim pickins', I'm sorry to say. My best advice is to grab a bite in Bangor or wait until you hit Canada. Dysart's is pretty good, just off the highway technically in Hampden, but close to Bangor. There used to be a good restaurant in Calais called the Chandler House, but it is gone now. St Stephen NB has a little seasonal fish and chip place on the river that is good. Try the lobster roll! St Andrews is a little tourist town with several restaurants and a fine old hotel, the Algonquin.
      St John has some good pubs, especially in the area of the Public Market, which is worth a visit.
      I'm sorry I can't help more- my info is a few years old now.  FYI in Canada and the eastern US, Irving gas stations are known for their clean restrooms and some have pretty decent diners attached. We ate at several throughout the Maritimes.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
        Re:Route 9 in Maine Mon, 05/23/11 9:18 PM (permalink)
        There is a Roadfood restaurant in Brewer, Maine  called  Eagles Nest...........very good good.  People love their lobster salad roll.  I  do not like lobster salad  rolls but  had great  fried fish dinner ther a few years ago.
        <message edited by Greymo on Mon, 05/23/11 9:25 PM>

barbhelm

Re:Route 9 in Maine Mon, 05/23/11 9:26 PM (permalink)
          Thank you very much.  I had heard of this restaurant and am glad to have a recommendation from someone who actually ate there  

Greymo

There is a Roadfood restaurant in Brewer, Maine  called  Eagles Nest...........very good good.  People love their lobster salad roll.  I  do not like lobster salad  rolls but  had great  fried fish dinner ther a few years ago.

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
            Re:Route 9 in Maine Tue, 05/24/11 10:58 AM (permalink)
            Yes, Eagles, Nest is good. I would agree about the lobster roll as well. It has limited hours, though- early morning through early afternoon IIRC. 

barbhelm

Re:Route 9 in Maine Tue, 05/24/11 12:21 PM (permalink)
              Thanks, that fair warning!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com