The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

"BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
"BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Fri, 02/6/04 9:05 PM (permalink)
Ok, so this weekend marks the 40th Anniversary of Beatlemania in the USA. Reading various articles about said anniversary, I discovered that the 'mania was such that there was even a "BeatleNut" ice cream marketed in 1964. I wasn't around then; can anyone that was confirm the truth to this? And what did it taste like? Was it produced by a big name-brand company like Breyer's?

And were there any other Beatle 'foods' floating around (chips? candies?) in those halcyon years? I'd be curious to hear your stories.

-off to listen to "Sgt. Pepper" on headphones,
Kristi S.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
    RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Sat, 02/7/04 4:50 AM (permalink)
    I don't remember Beatlenut ice cream, but my whole family went to see "A Hard Day's Night," at a local drive-in when it first came out.
    There were three factions in my school. You were classified by which group's music you liked. Surfer's listened to Beach Boys, most of the others were into the Beatles, and the 'tough guys,' of course, were all convinced that the only group in existence was the Rolling Stones.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
      RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Sat, 02/7/04 8:28 AM (permalink)
      It was just some ten years ago I was on the road and stopped at a curb-service drive-in that featured 'Beatle Burgers' on their menu board - I wondered if it was run by the Kaili cult ("There's somebody *been* in this soup!")

Kristi S.

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Sat, 02/7/04 9:52 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Vince Macek

It was just some ten years ago I was on the road and stopped at a curb-service drive-in that featured 'Beatle Burgers' on their menu board - I wondered if it was run by the Kaili cult ("There's somebody *been* in this soup!")

Vince,
        My next trick is to get "Help!" on DVD.
        "It's a season ticket. What'dya think it is."

"Oh, I like a lot of seasoning in me soup.."

Vince Macek

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Sun, 02/8/04 8:58 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:

Vince,
          My next trick is to get "Help!" on DVD.
          "It's a season ticket. What'dya think it is."

"Oh, I like a lot of seasoning in me soup.."

Good luck there - since they quit production of that disk I haven't found it anywhere for a good price (thank goodness I'm a compulsive videotaper)

Wasn't 'Beatle Nut' ice cream a Baskin-Robbins flavor? That was a long time back to make a clever pun on betel nuts, I'm thinking...

Kristi S.

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 02/9/04 8:34 AM (permalink)
            quote:

Oh yeh, Vince, do you remember the name of the drive-in and where it was? What made the burgers "Beatle"??

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6200
              RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 02/9/04 12:16 PM (permalink)
              Clothier, maybe you're just a little too young to appreciate the way the Beatles changed the music scene. I was a music major in college (classical and choral) but we did have a class about the Beatles.......John Lennon and Paul McCartney were brilliant writers. Think about the delicate melodies of the songs "Norwegian Wood" or "Something" or "Yesterday". The White Album started to get into another vein of music but a lot of the Fab Four's stuff was genuis.

lleechef

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 02/9/04 12:42 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by clothier

My hunch is you are correct. Too young for the beatles and elvis, to mainstream for the clash and sex pistols.

How about that Bruce Springsteen, eh?

The Boss ROCKS! I saw him in Boston last year!

lleechef

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 02/9/04 1:47 PM (permalink)
                  But I still would pay any amount to see the Fab 4. Too bad it'll never happen ever again.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                    RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 02/9/04 5:52 PM (permalink)
                    My husband is a HUGE Beatles fan. He probably has more than one copy of all of the albums, the movies etc. We watched the Paul McCartney concert last weekend. Even my kids, who listen to some rather strange music at times love their music. I came to appreciate them more because of my husband.

I will never forget the moment in the operating room after I had my twins and we heard the music overhead, and they were playing "Then we will remember things we said today". Nice memory.

lleechef

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 02/9/04 10:17 PM (permalink)
                      Hey Jude, don't make it bad
                      Take a sad song and make it better
                      Remember to let her into your heart
                      Then you can start to make it better

My cousin David's favorite Fab Four song. He died in a car accident, as a passenger, in 1981. He left behind two small boys and a wife. They played "Hey Jude" tonight on the news as part of the tribute to the Beatles' debut on the Ed Sullivan Show. I cried.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                        RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 02/9/04 10:29 PM (permalink)
                        Dearfolk,
                        My favorite Beatles song of all time is "In My Life." The line that especially grabs me is "Some are dead and some are living." It makes me think of several deceased friends (one in particular who really loved the song, too); it also recalls a handful of great meals I had in restaurants that are gone as well. - As I sit here right now, I think of the place on 42 Highway in Stockbridge, Georgia where I ate fried okra that was so delicate that when I held the folk over the bowl, the pods leapt onto the fork akin to lemmings leaping over a cliff... it was nearly about THAT light!
                        Today I had some fried okra that compares. I'll probably post elsewhere about it.
                        Now I KNOW I'll never lose affection for people and things that went before: In my life, I loved them more.
                        Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
                        P. S. "Beatle Nut" was indeed a Baskin-Robbins flavor. My thought is that either John Lennon or Paul McCartney expressed a fondness for a particularly-flavoured blend of ice cream and nuts, so they made it up in commemoration for their second American tour. Any confirmation or debate, y'all?

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                          RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 7:34 AM (permalink)
                          Being one of the "bad boys",i was a Stones fan--didnt listen to the beatles until the Revolver album when they stopped dressing alike and became bad boys too< By then the good folks who own ice cream companies didnt want to associate with anyone "more popular then Christ"--the line that REALLY made them Bad Boys! But i seem to remember that they had a candy bar named after them too,didnt they?

Vince Macek

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 7:41 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

quote:

Oh yeh, Vince, do you remember the name of the drive-in and where it was? What made the burgers "Beatle"??

Oh, if only I *could* remember - that was before I was taking notes on my trips (looking over a road atlas isn't helping). From what I recall, what made the burgers 'Beatle' seemed to be not replacing the menu board in 30 years!

Kristi S.

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 8:27 AM (permalink)
                              I have sooo many great memories. In the late 80s I took a trip to England to go on a self-guided Beatle-trek. If it wasn't for 30 degree weather, it would have been a perfect trip. I remember standing across the street outside MPL (Paul's company) in London with two girls from Seattle, peering into Paul's office window, waiting for a glimpse of The Man. (Not stalking!) He never showed, but the girls & I befriended each other, went to a tea shop to warm up with a cup, and then hopped the tube to Abbey Road Studios. I know it may sound cliche to some, but it sure was fun!

I do recall folks in London were a little "huffy" back then about the Beatles, but in Liverpool, they were still regarded as hero sons, and you could talk freely about them without feeling silly.

Kristi S.

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 8:29 AM (permalink)
                                Oh, and one more footnote on England: Avoid pizza; always rely on the fish & chips from a real "chippy". Liberally sprinkle malt vinegar all over. You can't go far wrong!

Plus, "Walkers Prawn Crisps" make a nice snack.

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
                                  RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

It was just some ten years ago I was on the road and stopped at a curb-service drive-in that featured 'Beatle Burgers' on their menu board.

Did they serve the Beatle Burgers with a side of Onion Ringo's?

Kristi S.

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Howard Baratz
                                    [Did they serve the Beatle Burgers with a side of Onion Ringo's?

I see a new restaurant concept in the works here...

Lone Star

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 1:40 PM (permalink)
                                      Paul is dead.

Lone Star

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                        Oh Clothier - don't you remember the stories? Was it "Number 9" that if played backwards said it?

Vince Macek

RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Tue, 02/10/04 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

quote:
                                          Originally posted by Howard Baratz
                                          [Did they serve the Beatle Burgers with a side of Onion Ringo's?

I see a new restaurant concept in the works here...

Gimme a yellow submarine with extra sergeant peppers and glass onion!
                                          And don't be mean with Mr. Mustard.

Kristi S.

• Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
                                            RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Fri, 02/20/04 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by clothier
                                            [I rememeber, I was just messing with you. The whole barefoot thing on the cover, and the whole car crash thing on another one.

The MI5 replaced him with a duplicate, right?

Nope. That was Plenty O'Toole.

lennonlover2005

• Total Posts: 62
                                              RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 03/27/06 11:10 PM (permalink)
                                              Did you know there is a Beatle Cookie recipe? This is one I found online...I think there are others. I remember that Beatle ice cream from Baskin Robbins. They brought it back several times I think!

Beatles

Ingredients

3/4 cup Butter or margarine
                                              2 1/4 cup Sugar
                                              3 x Eggs
                                              5 1/4 cup Flour
                                              3/4 tsp Salt
                                              3/4 tsp Baking soda
                                              1 tbl Baking powder
                                              1 1/2 cup Sour cream
                                              1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
                                              1/2 cup Semisweet chocolate pieces
                                              2/3 cup Sugar
                                              1 tbl Ground cinnamon

Method :
                                              Cream butter and first amount of sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Sift flour with salt, soda and baking powder. Alternately add to egg mixture with sour cream. Add vanilla and fold in chocolate pieces. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto greased baking sheets. Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over each cookie. Bake at 375F 12 minutes.

lennonlover2005

• Total Posts: 62
                                                RE: "BeatleNut" Ice Cream & assorted other Fab foods Mon, 03/27/06 11:19 PM (permalink)
                                                Here is a site that has original press releases about what was going on as far as Beatlemania...They do mention Beatlebut ice cream....

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/sullivan.htm

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com