The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

"Simon and Garfunkel chicken" damn good.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2930
"Simon and Garfunkel chicken" damn good. Thu, 06/9/11 10:17 PM (permalink)
I picked this off of AmazingRibs, a website by a fellow named Craig Goldwyn, who calls himself "Meathead". Out of respect for his work I'll ask you to follow the link (to a PHENOMENAL bbq website) for the instructions, but I will add some notes here on changes I made in preparation and execution.

Meathead's recipe calls for a whole chicken, skinless, on a grill, indirect and at about 400*, and using a rotisserie if possible; I did boneless skinless thighs, on a Big Green Egg, indirect at 325*. I did the lower temp because of the thinner cuts; I figured at 325* I could relax around them a bit. They took a while, almost a half an hour, because as soon as I put them on the skies cut loose with a vicious hour long thunder- and lightning- and hail- storm. Temps dropped 30* in a matter of minutes, and the rain it fell in buckets. I was dashing in and out of the house under an umbrella checking the pit and meat temps.

He calls for about a tablespoon of rub for a whole chicken; I used about half a cup for 12 thighs. I used too much. I could tell when I did it that it was going to be too much, and I spent some time wiping with paper towels. The spice mix itself is really, really awesome, but it includes a considerable amount of black pepper and crushed red pepper, and that made it pretty hot for what is essentially a savory chicken dish.

I really give thumbs up to this recipe. The meal is super easy to make: it is simple, and the flavor is sublime, delicious, and unexpected. Chicken on the egg is a dream, I've not had a dry result in half a dozen cooks, even when I've overshot internal temps it's been good. I Egged these to 165* and they were just perfect. If you're looking for a break from bbq'd, then lemon/garlic, then teriyaki, then Italian, you should give this one a go; it's really excellent.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com