"Simon and Garfunkel chicken" damn good.

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
2011/06/09 22:17:22 (permalink)

"Simon and Garfunkel chicken" damn good.

I picked this off of AmazingRibs, a website by a fellow named Craig Goldwyn, who calls himself "Meathead". Out of respect for his work I'll ask you to follow the link (to a PHENOMENAL bbq website) for the instructions, but I will add some notes here on changes I made in preparation and execution.

Meathead's recipe calls for a whole chicken, skinless, on a grill, indirect and at about 400*, and using a rotisserie if possible; I did boneless skinless thighs, on a Big Green Egg, indirect at 325*. I did the lower temp because of the thinner cuts; I figured at 325* I could relax around them a bit. They took a while, almost a half an hour, because as soon as I put them on the skies cut loose with a vicious hour long thunder- and lightning- and hail- storm. Temps dropped 30* in a matter of minutes, and the rain it fell in buckets. I was dashing in and out of the house under an umbrella checking the pit and meat temps.

He calls for about a tablespoon of rub for a whole chicken; I used about half a cup for 12 thighs. I used too much. I could tell when I did it that it was going to be too much, and I spent some time wiping with paper towels. The spice mix itself is really, really awesome, but it includes a considerable amount of black pepper and crushed red pepper, and that made it pretty hot for what is essentially a savory chicken dish.

I really give thumbs up to this recipe. The meal is super easy to make: it is simple, and the flavor is sublime, delicious, and unexpected. Chicken on the egg is a dream, I've not had a dry result in half a dozen cooks, even when I've overshot internal temps it's been good. I Egged these to 165* and they were just perfect. If you're looking for a break from bbq'd, then lemon/garlic, then teriyaki, then Italian, you should give this one a go; it's really excellent.

7 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1