The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pickled Pigs Feet

GetMeRexKramer

• Total Posts: 20
Pickled Pigs Feet Wed, 06/22/11 2:42 PM (permalink)
I am presently in O'Fallon, Illinois and I am looking for something that apparently is quite hard to find anymore. Does anyone here know where to get the old style pickled pigs feet? The ones that you could get in the meat department and anywhere else. Today all you find are those dreadful little Hormel things that they call pickled pigs feet.

I really would like to have some if only I could find a place that still has them. If anyone knows please, please feel free to post it.

Thanks

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
    Re:Pickled Pigs Feet Wed, 06/22/11 3:25 PM (permalink)
    If there's a Gordon's Food Service cash and carry around there, they should carry the Red Smith brand in gallon jugs. Sams clubs carry a proprietary smaller size of the same that I think are quarts. There's a new brand showing up in stores that never carried them in quart bottles called Southern Snacks along with other pickled products with their own display in meat sections.

GetMeRexKramer

Re:Pickled Pigs Feet Wed, 06/22/11 4:06 PM (permalink)
      It seems that the only grocery stores around here are Deirburgs, Schnucks, Sav alot, Walmart (for groceries). I haven't seen a Gordon's Food Service since I was in Indianapolis. Someone in Missouri had told me that Safeway still carried them. The assistant manager at Sav Alot told me that meat processors may have them. I don't have the time to track all that down. He told me that what I was looking for had been off the market for at least 15 years.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3304
        Re:Pickled Pigs Feet Wed, 06/22/11 4:29 PM (permalink)
        Looks like the closest GFS store to you is all the way in Springfield. I'm guessing you don't want to drive over 80 miles to get some. Otherwise, and this probably isn't terribly helpful either while you're not at home, but there are several brands still manufactured, most of which you can order from their websites.

GetMeRexKramer

Re:Pickled Pigs Feet Wed, 06/22/11 6:06 PM (permalink)
          Yeah, I am guessing that may be my only option. I used to eat these things as a kid and just never thought about them not being around until years later when I wanted some out of the blue.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com