The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ in Philly - Pick One

WarmBeer

• Total Posts: 77
BBQ in Philly - Pick One Thu, 06/23/11 11:43 AM (permalink)
Still planning a Philly Road Food trip and will be trying to hit about a dozen places in one day, sharing the best of each location with those who attend.  Thanks to all who added their 2 ¢ to my thread on the best Cheesesteak spots to hit.  (pretty much settled on Steve's, Johns (for the roast beef as well) and perhaps Chinks for a milk shake.  
Now we are trying to narrow the decision of which BBQ place to choose.  Again from Holly's great site, and limited to the 5 stain locations, we are deciding between these fine establishments:  
 Sweet Lucy's Smokehouse             Bebe's Barbecue
 Pig Daddy's BBQ                             Nick's Charcoal Pit
Probably just hit one in the end unless there is something particularly unique or amazing about the top 2.
Your input is appreciated.
ed

phlmaestro

Re:BBQ in Philly - Pick One Thu, 06/23/11 1:08 PM (permalink)
    I can tell you that Bebe's no longer exists. He took over the kitchen at a Center City bar for a while, but that didn't work out. The last I read, he's working on a barbecue lunch truck.
    Sweet Lucy's is pretty good for Philadelphia, although it probablay wouldn't be taken that seriously down south. I haven't been to Pig Daddy's or Nick's, although I don't believe Nick's is a serious barbecue place, so I'd probably knock that off the list.
    Although Holly hasn't reviewed it, we also have Percy Street Barbecue, which is a Texas-style barbecue place at 9th and South Streets. As with Lucy's, it's pretty good for these parts, but I'm sure it wouldn't be taken seriously in Texas.
    Given the relatively slim pickings around here for barbecue, I'd probably go with either Sweet Lucy's or Percy Street.
    I recently read about another Texas-style barbecue place that's in the works for the coming months on Girard Avenu in Northern Liberties. I'm hoping they'll be a little better than Percy Street.

WarmBeer

• Total Posts: 77
      Re:BBQ in Philly - Pick One Sat, 06/25/11 10:32 AM (permalink)
      Thanks phlmaestro,
      Anyone else able to weigh in?
      Thanks
      ed

Holly Moore

Re:BBQ in Philly - Pick One Sat, 06/25/11 10:55 AM (permalink)
        Bebe's if they were still open. Alas they aren't, though a bbq truck will be coming.

For BBQ contest qualtiy BBQ - Pig Daddy would be my choice. Old school barbecue.

I'll get to Percy's eventually.  I just have a hard time with a BBQ place that spends as much on their cooker as a Texas pit master spends on his pick-up. But they have been getting good buzz and reviews.

You'll also do good with Sweet Lucy's.  I like Nick's a lot, but they are not really a BBQ place, though they do good ribs.  More a place with a charbroiler and the skill to do some great cooking with it. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com