The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

US 395 and Lone Pine, California,,,WOW!

Richardv88

• Total Posts: 4
US 395 and Lone Pine, California,,,WOW! Thu, 06/23/11 4:01 PM (permalink)
My wife and I had occasion to drive through Death Valley over Spring Break in April and we stayed overnight in Lone Pine on US 395 (awesome scenic drive along the back side of the Sierra Nevada Range) and we had dinner in Lone Pine at a reataurant called "Seasons".  WE live in Las Vegas and there is no end to the number of excellent steak houses there...but...I've got to say the steaks we both had at Seasons was incredible.  It was called the "Baseball Cut" and I've never heard of that one before but it was large in size and delicious in flame grilled flavor (probaby about a 14-16 oz...no fat to trim off).  I wasn't into their veggies so I also asked for a fruit substitute and that was a meal in itself (blueberries, strawberries, orange slices,raspberries and seedless grapes).  Cost per dinner was about $25 so it isn't cheap, but well worth the price.  I also believe they are only open for dinner from 4 till about 9:30 PM.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:US 395 and Lone Pine, California,,,WOW! Fri, 06/24/11 7:21 PM (permalink)
    After Living in the High Desert (San Berdo County) for a number of years, I can second your comment on the beauty of the ride along 395 on the Eastern slope of the Sierras. Lone Pine is the entrance to the Mt Whitney portal road, one of the least known and most beautiful drives (short) you can take, to see the Mountain and then turn around and see Death Valley in the distance. Spectacular view !  Glad you found some good food there too !

WELCOME TO ROADFOOD.

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
      Re:US 395 and Lone Pine, California,,,WOW! Fri, 06/24/11 8:46 PM (permalink)
      Further up US 395 is SCHOTTS german bakery in Bishop...well known and folks come long distance to get their goods...

Lonepine is where hundreds of movies have been shot in and around the Alabama Hills, and Whitney Portal i sa little further west, and not just westerns...the Lone Pine Film Museum is a "must see", and often shows movies that are connected to the area...the dramatic eastern face of the Sierra's has been a familier backdrop to many a famous movie.

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
        Re:US 395 and Lone Pine, California,,,WOW! Fri, 06/24/11 8:56 PM (permalink)

Just a photo...

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:US 395 and Lone Pine, California,,,WOW! Fri, 06/24/11 11:30 PM (permalink)
          BackRhodes,
            You jogged a couple of other memories for me. 
           MANZANAR Nat'l Historic Site is just a short distance north of Lone Pine. Manzanar was the site of one of the largest 'Resettlement Camps' for the Japanese-Americans who were detained during WW II. If you visit the site, it is a real emotional experience to "feel" what we did to our fellow Americans during that terrible time.

The Alabama Hills just west of Lone Pine were indeed the location for many great films...including GUNGA DIN...Why we didn't take that study of Afghanistan's culture seriously at the time is beyond me!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com