Big Shoulders, Beer Barrels, Beefs n' Brats

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
2011/06/23 20:27:58 (permalink)

Big Shoulders, Beer Barrels, Beefs n' Brats

After 9  months of purgatory, I just completed my first real road trip.

Unlike my previous trips- this trip is actually going to be divided into two trip reports.
Part I and part II will represent different themes of this trip. 

For the first time, after owning my digitial camera of 5 years (and which I don't intend to discard anytime soon) I just discovered I can control the shutter speed and add more light, I also learned I can control the intensity of the flash when needed, however on this trip I tried to avoid using flash as much as possible, unfortunately when lighting was completely minimal or when the lighting was completely garish, I didn't have a choice.

Thursday June 9

Although I was hoping to get an early start with a 6:05 AM flight, my trip almost came to an abrupt end when they nearly cancelled flights to where I was heading due to inclimate weather. After departing and returning to the gate twice, we finally took off and I landed in Chicago at almost noon time, over 4 hours late.

After grabbing my checked luggage and getting a rental, I finally arrived at my first destination.

Lou Malnati's

Although my  intention was to visit the original location in Lincolnwood, due to arriving late and being welcomed by heavy traffic and no direct route, I ended up visiting the Southside location which the website described as being "soulful". Well as long as they don't put chitlins or ham hocks on my pizza, then that is perfectly ok with me.

The decor was tastefully done, with a nod to Chicago's African American sports heroes.

I got the Malnati's Chicago Classic which includes sausage surrounded by chunky tomato sauce, a heaping helping of gooey mozzarella, housed on their famous butter crust.

Here is the ultimate money shot.

I ordered a small pie 

(and yes, believe it or not, I actually finished it!)

Lou Malnati's was just as good as I remembered, but I wondered if the original location would have been even better?

After lunch, I checked into my hotel in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area and took a walk exploring my surroundings. Oh I forgot to mention, it was 91 degrees and humid in Rhode Island the day before, it was now 50 degrees in Chicago and gray.

After enjoying a brew at Goose Island Brewery (after getting lost thinking I was on Clark street but was actually on Broadway) - good that meant extra walking for me- I took the short train ride to downtown. and enjoyed this view of Wrigley from the train station

I arrived at my dinner stop

Gene and Georgetti's

Classic old school Italian. Sinatra playing in the background.  And a classic Roadfood
ambience

My dinner began with crusty Italian Bread

and a delicious salad

but it was the main course that deserved the most attention

Shrimp De Jonge- 

A generous portion of shrimp drenched in a thick garlic sauce bursting with flavor. 
Truly my first highlight of the trip and a top 10 contender for the year. 

And although I just "picked" at them. 

the fried potatoes were also really good.

After dinner I walked back to the subway station to get to my ballgame that evening.

The White Sox vs the Oakland Athletics at US Cellular field.

Unfortunately my camera died after this shot. I didn't realize I needed new batteries and didn't bring any with me.

I did manage to get this shot of the scoreboard from my cellphone

After the 7th inning stretch, the White Sox were winning. I was exhausted as I was up since 4 AM. I left in the 8th inning and took the train back to my hotel. 

Much more to come
post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/06/23 20:36:56

78 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1