Road trip taking I40 east and other places

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8333
2011/06/28 23:08:44 (permalink)

Road trip taking I40 east and other places

Sitting around watching The Food Network and I thought I’d start posting about my road trip.  

Our first stop was Needles, California.  There is absolutely nothing good to report about Needles.

Our next stop was Winslow, Arizona where we just had to stand on this corner:

It was amazing to me how a song could make a city.  It at least made the shop on the corner.

After driving around a bit and finding everything closed or uninteresting, we stopped at the La Posada Hotel.  It’s an old hotel dating back to (I think) the ‘30s.  Very nice!

We looked around and decided we were hungry and did not want to look any more.  We ate at the Turquoise Room in La Posada.

Being a soup nut I ordered what they are known for…  the half and half black bean soup and corn chowder.  It was outstanding.  The squiggle of chile cream was a nice touch and added a nice taste.

A basket was brought to our table with two hard sour dough rolls and 2 flour corn chips.  Very arty. Very Blah.

After looking at all of the game meats offered, my choice for dinner was the vegetable plate.                         

If food can be interesting, this plate was indeed.

Standing out on the plate was a roasted ear of corn.  There was also a cheese stuffed chile that was not battered, a scoop of corn pudding, a scoop of chipotle potatoes, a mushroom mousse, a block of tofu with a cilantro sauce, a few scattered vegetables and something that I thought was totally out of place….  A wild rice stuffed egg roll.  

The tastes were very distinctive and I recommend it.

However…  That ear of grilled corn was cold.  Not 'it sat out too long' cold, but right out of a freezer cold.   Not even out of the refrigerator, it was ice cold.  I took a couple of bites and called the waiter.  I had to know if the corn was always served cold. 

So, I asked if the corn was supposed to be served cold.  My waiter said…  “No one ever complained of the corn being cold”.  Of course this was not this was not the answer to my question.  I asked if it was grilled and frozen.  He told me that they are boiled, frozen and when served they are thrown on the grill to heat them up and give them color.   I explained that it was frozen and he said he’d mention it to the chef.  I was finished with the meal by then and just paid the bill.  I was still quite satisfied with my meal and the frozen corn made it interesting with a story to tell. 

If in Winslow and hungry at dinner time I recommend La Posada.

post edited by mar52 - 2011/06/28 23:10:06

91 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1