The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How to roast bell peppers or others

Sundancer7

How to roast bell peppers or others Mon, 02/9/04 7:26 PM (permalink)
I have read a lot about roasting peppers. What is the proper procedure to do this? Do you do it slow and peel the skin or do you do it fast and hot and remove the skin?

I really appreciate the taste of peppers and I want to do it right.

Please advise.

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
    RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Mon, 02/9/04 7:31 PM (permalink)
    I just put the peppers on the burner and turn them as they char. When the skin is charred, place them in a paper bag, close the bag tightly and let the peppers rest for about twn minutes. Then, scrape off the charred skin. You can also cut the peppers in half and place them skin side up on a broiler pan and broil till charred, then do the bag thing. And, of course, you can do them on a grill.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Mon, 02/9/04 7:33 PM (permalink)
      Sundancer:

You can do it over a stove with tongs, slowly turning until it is all charred on the outside. You can also do it over a grill or under a broiler. When it is evenly charred, put the pepper(s) in a brown paper bag and let it cool. The charred shin will come right off. Delish in salads or with olive oil and chopped garlic.

Grampy

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Mon, 02/9/04 7:34 PM (permalink)
        Great minds, Michael.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
          RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Mon, 02/9/04 8:19 PM (permalink)
          In the late summer/early fall when my bell pepper harvest begins, I take them, char a bunch of them on the grill, turning every so often then place them in the paper bag for 10 or 20 minutes, depending on size. I then peel and set them out in strips on a large cookie sheet with a paper towel on it to cool just a bit more. THEN.......I put the strips in quart size and pint size freezer bags, add olive oil and a couple cloves of garlic and freeze them. They're wonderful to pull out in mid winter.

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
            RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 9:08 AM (permalink)
            A hint to make sure they taste great -- after the peppers have rested in the bag and you skin them, don't rinse them. Many people try to get every bit of skin off by running the peppers under cold water -- that removes a lot of the smokiness and flavor you just worked so hard to acheive.

Sundancer7

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 9:23 AM (permalink)
              Why do you place the peppers in a paper bag? I know there is a good reason cause almost over poster said the same thing.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Jim Ross

• Total Posts: 314
                RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 9:50 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Sundancer7

Why do you place the peppers in a paper bag? I know there is a good reason cause almost over poster said the same thing.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

Going in hot, with all the moisture in peppers, they steam themselves done. It's also what makes it easy to peel the charred skin off.

Sundancer7

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 10:29 AM (permalink)
                  Thanks Mr. Ross. I knew there was a good reason.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

Rhodes

• Total Posts: 281
                    RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 10:32 AM (permalink)
                    I'll also just put them in a covered bowl or container w/ lid when they are done rather than a paper bag, same result in the long run but less waste.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6232
                      RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 11:29 AM (permalink)
                      I concur with all the above. Char skins until black over whatever flame you have.....broiler, grill, stove burner. Put in brown bag for 10 mins. Peel off skins and do not wash! Good point!

Sundancer7

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 11:41 AM (permalink)
                        Since the Sundancer readily admits that he is even less than a minor league cook, what do you use roasted peppers as an ingredient in most frequently.

I use bell peppers in a lot of things. Perhaps the roasted peppers would make a good substitute.

Thanks
                        Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

Grampy

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 11:53 AM (permalink)
                          I use them in salads, in sandwiches, on pizza and crostini -- just about everything but ice cream, though I am not completely averse to trying it. You can marinate them in olive oil and garlic (with a dash of lemon juice to prevent spoilage) and keep them on hand for whenever you would use red bell peppers, with a slightly sweeter edge.

lleechef

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 11:57 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

Since the Sundancer readily admits that he is even less than a minor league cook, what do you use roasted peppers as an ingredient in most frequently.

I use bell peppers in a lot of things. Perhaps the roasted peppers would make a good substitute.

Thanks
                            Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

It depends on if you're using bell peppers as a cooking ingredient or using them raw.
                            First, I would not roast green bell peppers. The red and yellow peppers are better for roasting. Do not use them in "cooking" as they will fall apart like mush (not livermush, Ort.).
                            I like to add roasted peppers to a green salad, tossed with pasta just before serving, or just eaten with a little olive oil drizzled on them and a little chopped garlic. You could saute some boneless skinless chicken breasts and do them in a fresh tomato-olive-roasted pepper sauce. Or grill some blanched asparagus, wrap with prosciutto, make a charred tomato vinaigrette and garnish with roasted pepper strips.

In all the above they are mainly used as a delicate GARNISH and not thrown into a mix like gumbo and cooked. Hope this helps.

lleechef

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 12:03 PM (permalink)
                              Grampy is right! Sandwiches, pizza, crostini! A nice summer sandwich is roasted red pepper, grilled eggplant, tomato, basil leaves (or pesto) on focaccia!

Michael Hoffman

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Grampy

Great minds, Michael.

Indeed.

Michael Hoffman

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN

They sort of steam in the bag, and that loosens the charred skin.

Michael Hoffman

RE: How to roast bell peppers or others Tue, 02/10/04 12:29 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Thanks
                                    Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

I use them in antipasto, on sandwiches, and I love to use them when making sausage and peppers. I also use them to make confetti dumplings. You make regular dumplings, but add finely diced roasted red peppers and green inion.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com