The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Atlanta near Marriott Marquis

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Sat, 07/9/11 2:11 PM (permalink)
I'll be in Atlanta for a conference this summer. I wasn;t planning on renting a car, but all of the recommended restaurants look like they are out of the area. I also want to visit the aquarium there.

What do you recommend near the Marriott Marquis?

Will I need to rent a car for at least one day to hit Mary mac's?

How is public transportation in the city?

Thanks!!!!!!!

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
    Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Sat, 07/9/11 2:32 PM (permalink)
    You won't need a car to go to Mary Mac's if you're willing to take the MARTA train. 

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis a few years ago, and took MARTA to Mary Mac's.   Closest station to the Marriott Marquis is Peachtree Center; closest to Mary Mac's is North Avenue.  (The restaurant is a couple of blocks from the Fox theater.)

I'm told the neighborhood near Mary Mac's can be a little dicey, but I went for an early dinner (5 p.m.) and had no problem -- and no apprehension!

You could also take a cab.

The aquarium is close to Peachtree Center, and therefore within walking distance from your hotel.  

Another recommendation:  the High Museum of Art is wonderful, and is easily reached via MARTA as well (Arts Center stop).

Ever since they built MARTA, I've used it exclusively to get downtown from the airport. 
    <message edited by rumaki on Sat, 07/9/11 3:01 PM>

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
      Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Sat, 07/9/11 3:05 PM (permalink)
      Our former German "au pair" and her new husband will be staying at the same hotel in Atlanta as part of their honeymoon in the United States..  The aquarium is about five blocks away.  They also plan on a visit to the Coca Cola museum which is  1/4 mile from the aquarium.

They are not that interested in where they eat  but are planning on the $10.00 lunch  at  "Rays IN The City."  which is quite a  good bargain and is located right  near the hotel.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
        Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Sun, 07/10/11 12:11 PM (permalink)
        I wouldn't miss Mary Mac's and it'll take a car but Flip Burger isn't that far away--and in a neighborhood populated by other hipster doofus joints as well.  But the last time we were down there we totally tripped into a Chinese place called Hsu's and the food was amazing.  I believe we had one of the Szechuan green bean dishes and I particularly remember the chicken corn soup.  If you're looking for something that's definitely walking distance, give that a try.  And I'll be curious to see any trip report you post because I'm going to be back down there for a conference in October.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
          Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Sun, 07/10/11 12:19 PM (permalink)
          EliseT

I'll be in Atlanta for a conference this summer. I wasn;t planning on renting a car, but all of the recommended restaurants look like they are out of the area. I also want to visit the aquarium there.

What do you recommend near the Marriott Marquis?

Will I need to rent a car for at least one day to hit Mary mac's?

How is public transportation in the city?

Thanks!!!!!!!

You'll have to take buses, but you MUST have breakfast at the Silver Skillet, 200 14th St. NW. Been there forever, the waitresses, too! You'll be called Sugar, Hon, etc. and the food will NOT disappoint! It's not fancy, it's roadfood, and delicious!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
            Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Sun, 07/10/11 12:20 PM (permalink)
            Nancypalooza

I wouldn't miss Mary Mac's and it'll take a car but Flip Burger isn't that far away--and in a neighborhood populated by other hipster doofus joints as well.  But the last time we were down there we totally tripped into a Chinese place called Hsu's and the food was amazing.  I believe we had one of the Szechuan green bean dishes and I particularly remember the chicken corn soup.  If you're looking for something that's definitely walking distance, give that a try.  And I'll be curious to see any trip report you post because I'm going to be back down there for a conference in October.

There's two or three flip burgers in town.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
              Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Mon, 07/11/11 4:21 PM (permalink)
              Downtown Atlanta is a little restaurant unfriendly, but there are a couple of good places within quick walking distance of the Marriott.  I would recommend Googie Burger, which is in Centennial Olympic Park right next to the fountains, where you can enjoy a very good burger and some of the best milkshakes around.  There's also Pittypat's Porch, whose glory days are long gone, but you can still get a pretty good southern dinner there.  The problem is that the downtown is really dominated by the Americasmart convention space, which covers several city blocks and prevents any real interesting development around those hotels.  As you walk from your hotel to the aquarium, you will swear you've passed the same building already.

You can't go wrong with any of the Atlanta recs here in the Restaurants section - Mary Mac's, Silver Skillet, Varsity, Fat Matt's and Manuel's Tavern are all very good.  Harold's BBQ is awesome, but I wouldn't want to be standing outside there waiting for a bus after supper.

Our public transportation is a long way behind Boston, Chicago or NYC, but it gets the job done.  It's called MARTA and you can find the bus you need at http://www.itsmarta.com .
              The Varsity and Mary Mac's are both within walking distance of the North Avenue train stop, but I'd plan to get a cab back from Mary Mac's.  You'll be too full to walk (uphill) after a supper there.

Some other current faves in the city include Delia's Chicken Sausage Stand (chicken "slinger" hot dogs in a business fronted by the lady who started our popular Flying Biscuit restaurants) and Grindhouse Killer Burgers (small but very tasty patties, sort of the local opposition to the Smashburger stores that are starting to open in town this month).

Flip Burger is quite good, too.  As Nancypalooza notes, it's on the same road as Bocado and Leroy's Fried Chicken and Yeah!Burger and Figo Pasta and West Egg and all the other current faves.  You could probably hit 'em all on one bus route if you really wanted and your credibility with Atlanta foodies would be assured.

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Mon, 07/11/11 9:00 PM (permalink)
                I agree with Soup on Mary Mac's, Fat Matt's and the Varsity.  Harold's is fabulous with its stew, cracklin cornbread and pork but in a bad area (by the Federal Pen) that I would be careful around if I wasn't familiar with the area.   

eagle6894

• Total Posts: 44
                  Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Tue, 07/12/11 9:01 AM (permalink)
                  Nice Hotel, but not a ton of stuff around. I would recommend Mary Mac's, Silver Skillet, Fox Bros BBQ, Vortex and Varsity.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                    Re:Atlanta near Marriott Marquis Thu, 07/14/11 10:12 AM (permalink)
                    You all are great for helping me!

Hmm, the all-day bus tour of Atlanta sounds tempting.

I just found out we may be going to Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles for a birthday.

I have also heard the South will continue a record heat wave next week...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com