Helpful ReplyI may have opened the door to another dimension . . .

Author
lewinp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2011/07/11 13:06:12 (permalink)

I may have opened the door to another dimension . . .

I'm a US expat living in Switzerland, and had a burger moment on July 4th that is either ground breaking or horrifying. I had all my ingredients - a nice English cheddar, Swiss beef (which is excellent by the way), Heinz spicy catchup and a good dry rub, and two good rolls. After preparing everything and getting the grill going, I discovered that the rolls I bought were mislabeled, they are actually what's called apfletasche, which is German for an apple turnover - think of it like a really good McDonalds hot apple pie.

I was determined to have my sandwich, and with no other bread in the house (and no Amercian neighbors to offend) I gave it a try - I left off the spicy ketchup, but put the beef and cheddar cheese right on top of the hot apple pastry. I have to say the combination was delicious, the salty beef offset the sweet apples, and the cheddar cheese seemed to work with both.

Feel free to weigh in, I know many purists will be horrified at the thought of this, but I liked it so much I've made it a second time. Anyone else experiment in this area?
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1