The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tavern Pizza

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 1:34 PM (permalink)
When I was a wee lad years ago in New York, I found that you could hardly go wrong by ordering pizza in an establishment that was primarily a watering hole, and not a pizzeria. The crust was usually thin and nicely charred, and the sauce was always tangy. Nowadays, there seems to be very few of these venerable taverns. The Colony in Stamford, CT, is basically a bar that serves great pizza. As is Joe's in Northampton, MA.

Do you know of any old-time local watering holes that also make a great pie?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
    RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 1:57 PM (permalink)
    There is a brew-pub here in Anchorage, the Moose's Tooth that makes GREAT pizza. There is also a nice tavern on the square in Mons, Belgium that makes killer pizza.
    Having an Italian Mother, the best pizza was always at home........

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
      RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 2:03 PM (permalink)
      bar pizza has always een a favorite of mine..there are lots of blue collar bars in Quincy, Ma that serve up great bar pizza..

Grampy

RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 2:19 PM (permalink)
        This is a "Hot Oil" pizza from the Colony Grill, courtesy Master Stern. Note the very thin crust:

lleechef

RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 2:25 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by renfrew

bar pizza has always een a favorite of mine..there are lots of blue collar bars in Quincy, Ma that serve up great bar pizza..

Where? I had a restaurant in Quincy! Kevin's at the Heritage on Hancock St. But I never had any decent pizza in Quincy.

renfrew

RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 3:01 PM (permalink)
            lets see, louis crossing in houghs neck is the one i remeber most..a couple of places in the Quincy Point neighborhood as well

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
              RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 3:05 PM (permalink)
              Why is it called a "hot oil" pizza?

Grampy

RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 3:09 PM (permalink)
                From Michael Stern's review: As for toppings, the usual repertoire is available, including clumps of excellent locally-made sausage; but Colony connoisseurs frequently get what is known here as a Hot Oil pizza. Hot oil -- "hot" meaning spicy -- is drizzled over everything and seems to bake right into the crust, giving every crunchy bite a zest that is not merely fiery, but brilliantly pepper-flavored. We love the hot oil with sausage, or with wide discs of pepperoni. And a close up to make you hungry:

lleechef

RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 3:14 PM (permalink)
                  STOP IT RIGHT NOW! How do you expect the rest of us to stay on our diets while you post pics like THAT????

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                    RE: Tavern Pizza Tue, 02/10/04 3:15 PM (permalink)
                    When I was growing up, I loved the pizza at Mike's in Catskill, NY. Mike's was a bar/restaurant also known for their thin crust pizza. It was on "The Point" where the Catskill creek joined the Hudson River, with a nice view of the Rip Van Winkle bridge. Unfortunately, I haven't been back there in about 15 years, so I'm not sure if it still exists.

renfrew

RE: Tavern Pizza Wed, 02/11/04 8:14 AM (permalink)
                      sont worry llechef, the crust is thin...no problem. you can eat two if you like.

Grampy

RE: Tavern Pizza Wed, 02/11/04 9:33 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by berndog

When I was growing up, I loved the pizza at Mike's in Catskill, NY. Mike's was a bar/restaurant also known for their thin crust pizza. It was on "The Point" where the Catskill creek joined the Hudson River, with a nice view of the Rip Van Winkle bridge. Unfortunately, I haven't been back there in about 15 years, so I'm not sure if it still exists.

We went to Joe's Mountain View in the Catskills in the early 60s. I recall very little about it, except that Joe made pizza every Thursday as a treat for the guests. He was an unrecognized pizza genius. I'll bet there were 100s of Joe's out there, quietly making pizzas unbeknownst to most of the world.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
                          RE: Tavern Pizza Wed, 02/11/04 9:26 PM (permalink)
                          My dad owned a bar in Levittown/Fallsington, PA in the early to mid 60s, and sometimes my mom would go up there to help out, and she would help to bake the pizzas, which were ALWAYS advertised as tomato pies. I heard they were wicked good from my brothers.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                            RE: Tavern Pizza Wed, 02/11/04 10:24 PM (permalink)
                            The hot oil reminds me of a friend who had (has?) a cigar bar/restaurant in Milwaukee called Shaker's, on south 2nd. He used to serve fried shrimp in piri-piri, an African hot oil. I hope he's still open. His place specialized in wild game dinners, fine champagnes, Scotch whisky and exceptional cigars.

Grampy

RE: Tavern Pizza Wed, 02/11/04 10:30 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Poverty Pete

The hot oil reminds me of a friend who had (has?) a cigar bar/restaurant in Milwaukee called Shaker's, on south 2nd. He used to serve fried shrimp in piri-piri, an African hot oil. I hope he's still open. His place specialized in wild game dinners, fine champagnes, Scotch whisky and exceptional cigars.

Address please. And airfare ... sounds like a, no, THE reason to be alive.

This is what it's about: the individuals who care about real food. And, thus Roadfood.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                RE: Tavern Pizza Wed, 02/11/04 11:32 PM (permalink)
                                Let me think, now...Shaker's is around the 600 block of south 2nd in Milwaukee. Just down the street is Zur Krone, possibly the best place in America to drink Belgian ales.

Bulldozer Rectangle

• Total Posts: 102
                                  RE: Tavern Pizza Thu, 02/12/04 12:00 AM (permalink)
                                  In Houston, good pizza at Kenneally's. Apparently it's St Louis style, which is wafer thin. I don't really care what style it is, it's just damn good. Irish Pub, good pizza... go figure!

marberthenad

• Total Posts: 509
                                    RE: Tavern Pizza Thu, 02/12/04 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                    There is a place I have been to several times in Ottawa, Canada called the Prescott, an old-fashioned, unreformed, ungentrified tavern, that gets a good crowd on a Saturday night. Their square slice pizza is legendary, and available from the backroom takeout window and carried back to your little round table that sits on the granite floor. Pictures below of the olive and onion pizza.

Maynerd

• Total Posts: 256
                                      RE: Tavern Pizza Thu, 02/12/04 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                      There's a bar in Dallas on Henderson between Ross and US 75. Called Louie's. They sell T-shirts with a Martini glass in the front and the Greek flag in back. They have a pretty good pizza and some pasta dishes. It's a bar-bar,a hang out for the local news media. Has a fireplace and the owner's a lot of fun to kid with.
                                      They don't take credit cards (I found out the hard way)but the owner was nice enough to let me walk the tab until I could come back another time to pay up.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Tavern Pizza Fri, 02/13/04 12:20 AM (permalink)
                                        When I was living down in Indianapolis about a dozen or so years ago I managed a place called Jacks Pizza... Well, after moving on (working my way back to Michigan), I worked in a place called Abbotts Pizza on West Washington... This job only lasted me a couple three weeks.. The place was no more then a hole in the wall Beer Bar. All they served was beer, pizza and burgers (Unless you where in good with the owner, he kept a bottle of Whisky behind the counter). Now I'm not sure how they did it, but they only served 10" pizzas (pre-made crusts at that) baked in one of two Bakers Pride Table Top (double stack 220 Volt) electric pizza ovens. Sauce was out of a can, and so was everyting else less the onions... But I tell ya, pizzas where damn tasty! And sales proved it... We had people comming from all over ordering 1 or 2 with a pitcher of brew.. So there's my input on an old time watering hole! Not sure if their still in business, but worth checking out if your down in that neck of the woods!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                          RE: Tavern Pizza Fri, 02/13/04 2:59 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by lleechef

STOP IT RIGHT NOW! How do you expect the rest of us to stay on our diets while you post pics like THAT????

Did i hear the word "DIET" come out of the mouth that person that wears a what is it size TWO

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                            RE: Tavern Pizza Fri, 02/13/04 3:05 AM (permalink)
                                            Try the pie at Big D.s Neponsett Cafe in Canton Mass---of course i may be predjidous since Big D was my Uncle Donald and the pizza is on my Aunt Mary's crust,but it really is good and the place is a classic tavern! My favorite place to watch the Patriots!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                              RE: Tavern Pizza Fri, 02/13/04 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                              I still have fond memories of what we used to call "Bowling Alley Pizza". Just regular tomato sauce and cheese on a premade medium thick crust by Baltimore Pizza Crust Co. cooked till crisp in a tabletop oven with an asbestos like cooking surface. Served at the bowling alley snack stand of course. I'd choose this still over any big chain pizza cooked on a conveyor belt.

BigB 01905

• Total Posts: 18
                                                RE: Tavern Pizza Mon, 07/12/04 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                Riverview pizza in Ipswich MA. Great Pizza!!!!

CLVdog

• Total Posts: 53
                                                  RE: Tavern Pizza Wed, 02/27/08 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                                  OMG - Bar Pizza can be so good. This is only my 2nd post so lots in RF to go over. Growing up in Allentown Pa in the 60,s and 70s we had at least two great ones - The S&G on 5th and Allen sts and The Elbo Bar at 4th and Washington sts. Both so good. Thanks for jarring the memory

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com