The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Monell's in Nashville

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 889
Monell's in Nashville Tue, 02/10/04 3:16 PM (permalink)
This is a repeat of something I posted in the "Tennessee BBQ" thread which I thought worth repeating in it's own thread.

I just returned from lunch at Monell's on 6th Ave in Nashville (we are planning on having dinner there Friday night before our West Tennessee Barbecue Pilgrimage, so this was purely in the interest of research ).
Everything at Monell's is served family style in large bowls that get passed around the 12 person tables. When I first sat down, the table contained bowls of cole slaw, cucumber & onions, and pickled beets, plus a large platter of hot biscuits and a bowl of very syrupy peach preserves. The cole slaw was subtly dressed (I detest overly sweet slaw) and had a nice bite to it. I did not try the beets (for which I am not the least bit apologetic) but the cucumber slices & onion were excellent (high proportion of peeled cucumber slices to the occasional small slice of onion). After a few minutes, bowls of hot side dishes began to appear: mashed potatoes (including skins), green beans, broccoli casserole, turnip greens, and (my favorite side dish at Monell's) corn pudding. Lightly sweetened, darkened from the oven and containing flecks of a very tasty smoked bacon, this is a wonderful dish that successfully straddles the line between sweet and savory.
Finally the entrees arrived: a huge basket of fried chicken and a small bowl of lasagna. If anything, the fried chicken has improved slightly since the last time I was there. Though I was at the wrong end of the table (they started the basket immediately to my left and it traveled all the way around the table before I got a shot at it), I managed to grab the last breast in the basket when the lawyer to my right (most of the lunch crowd at my table were lawyers) opted to answer his cell phone instead of paying attention to what he was doing. This breast had a lovely scorch mark on the crust from prolonged contact with the skillet it was fried in. It was exceptional -- as good as any chicken I've had in Nashville with the exception of that from the Beacon Light Tearoom. The lawyer realized the error of his ways and got them to bring more chicken around, but he had to make do for a while with watching me eat mine as there was only dark meat left, which he did not prefer. I helped out with a couple of the legs (which were also quite good) just as a matter of quality control. I passed on the banana pudding (I've never been a fan) but there were raves all around. Instead, I contented myself with a large square biscuit dripping with those excellent syrupy peach preserves. A couple of glasses of sweet (but not excessively so) tea and I was ready to face the afternoon. The nap will probably begin as soon as I finish this post.

Lunch was $9.75 including tax and the setting was wonderful. MOnell's is in an old house in the historic Germantown area of North Nashville, near the intersection of 6th and Monroe (just off Jefferson near the Farmer's Market). I had no wait at all today, though it was a lovely day out. According to the hostess, the weekend seatings get much more crowded (starting with Friday lunch), though she claimed never to have seen longer than an hour wait. All in all a most excellent lunch. Highly recommended!!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6220
    RE: Monell's in Nashville Tue, 02/10/04 3:36 PM (permalink)
    As I said on the other thread......I think I'm gonna faint. Slaw, cucumber & onion, beets, mashed potatoes, green beans, broccoli casserole, turnip greens, fried chicken, oh Lord, I cannot type any more! Y'all are makin me too hungry!

Sundancer7

RE: Monell's in Nashville Tue, 02/10/04 3:41 PM (permalink)
      And just think!!!!! We are gonna be there on a Friday night

We cannot eat too much though cause we got a vigorous schedule the next day.

I cannot wait to consume the chicken and fish. The description of the veggies were good also.

Good job Pogo!

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
        RE: Monell's in Nashville Tue, 02/10/04 8:25 PM (permalink)
        Man, does that sound good!!! Gentlemen, i am officialy jelous!

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
          RE: Monell's in Nashville Wed, 02/11/04 1:55 AM (permalink)
          Great review, Pogo. Again, thanks for doing this important research. I first learned about Monell's from a strict vegetarian friend. Emily has eaten there with family several times and really enjoyed the fare she could eat - vegetables, biscuits, preserves and desserts. I like everything on the menu and am happy we're eating there in two weeks. What a treat.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
            RE: Monell's in Nashville Wed, 02/11/04 10:22 AM (permalink)
            I too have a great memory of a dinner there a few years ago. Aren't there a few more entrees served at dinner?

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
              RE: Monell's in Nashville Wed, 02/11/04 10:39 AM (permalink)
              ::sighs:: I'm jealous too.. I wish I could go with y'all.. so close and yet so far away

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 889
                RE: Monell's in Nashville Wed, 02/11/04 10:43 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by signman

I too have a great memory of a dinner there a few years ago. Aren't there a few more entrees served at dinner?

Yes. Friday night they have fried chicken, fried catfish, cajun catfish (grilled & blackened), and spinach lasagna. On Saturday night they have BBQ ribs in addition to the fried chicken.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Monell's in Nashville Fri, 08/27/10 6:03 PM (permalink)
                  I realize that this thread is 6 years old and I don't usually like OLD thread... But, here I go.

I'll be in Nashville for a week in Sept. Will be staying downtown at the Courtyard. I'm going to hit this place up and hope to bring a bunch of coworkers with me. I'll report back afterwards, of course with pics:)

MikeS.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                    RE: Monell's in Nashville Fri, 08/27/10 6:44 PM (permalink)
                    MikeS.

I realize that this thread is 6 years old and I don't usually like OLD thread... But, here I go.

I'll be in Nashville for a week in Sept. Will be staying downtown at the Courtyard. I'm going to hit this place up and hope to bring a bunch of coworkers with me. I'll report back afterwards, of course with pics:)

MikeS.

Looks like they have more than one location:
                    http://www.monellstn.com/

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Monell's in Nashville Fri, 08/27/10 6:48 PM (permalink)
                      Mike,
                       I have enjoyed Monell's twice, Once back at the birth of this thread (and the Glee Club) and once the weekend of the Sterns visit ...don't remember the year off-hand. Both visits were at least an 8 on the 10 scale.  Good dinners and interesting "semi-boarding house" ambience.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                        RE: Monell's in Nashville Fri, 08/27/10 11:38 PM (permalink)
                        The evening I spent at Monell's is one of my finest memories of Roadfood friends.  As Mr. Mayor said, it was the birth of the Glee Club, and many fine gatherings have followed.

It was a wonderful meal shared with the Mayor, Sundancer, pogophiles, Poverty Pete, and those who shared our table and tables around us.

As foodies will do, we perhaps critiqued the food itself a little too much that night, but I have nothing but good memories.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                          RE: Monell's in Nashville Sat, 08/28/10 1:23 AM (permalink)
                          I ate at Monell's on the Nashville food tour and remember well the great food. Only regret was that it was the last place of the day and i was unable to take full advantage of the all you can eat feature of the place

caver

• Total Posts: 104
                            RE: Monell's in Nashville Fri, 09/3/10 9:15 PM (permalink)
                            I hadn't really heard about Monells too much before I went there, but the folks I was with said it was good.  I was very disappointed in the chicken especially.  It was a bit doughy, burned on the outside and what I would consider undercooked on the inside.  I'm guessing they were trying to cook it too fast.

I think they had something like salisbury steak too, but the flavor was just off.  I'm not even sure what it was.

I think the rest of it was alright, the vegetables were good, but I certainly wouldn't have gone out of my way for it.  I wouldn't give it any more than a 4-5 out of 10 at most.

I'd give it another chance, anyone can have an off day, but I don't get up to Nashville that much any more.

Sundancer7

RE: Monell's in Nashville Sat, 09/4/10 10:43 AM (permalink)
                              MikeS.

MikeS.

Mike, if you come through Knoxville, let me know and we will do some lunch.

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

LyndaB

• Total Posts: 14
                                Re:Monell's in Nashville Wed, 10/6/10 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                Yummmm went there for the 1st time on my last visit to Nashville, ended up going twice.  I hate to say this but the skillet chicken is better than the Loveless.  We went there for dinner and then for Sunday brunch, again yummmm

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com