The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

An accidental roadtrip

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2366
An accidental roadtrip Sat, 07/16/11 8:26 PM (permalink)
I flew home to Wisconsin from Arizona last night, arriving after midnight.  Past experience has shown that I am completely worthless the next day, so we try to plan some activity.  This was especially true this morning after my flight attendant gave me a bucket of Scotch for my after dinner drink.

The plan today was to drive North of Milwaukee to buy cheese at the Cedar Valley Cheese Store and brats at Miesfeld's Meat Market.  Cedar Valley is our new favorite for string cheese after Ann & Bob Peeples told us about the place.  The string cheese is all natural & unpasteurized, it has a chewy & stringy texture and is very flavorful.  It is nothing like the string cheese sold pre-wrapped in vacuum sealed plastic that is so common.  Stop one was uneventful, we ended up with a load of cheese and no photos. This was supposed be a shopping trip, not a Roadfood roadtrip.

After buying our cheese, we decided to find a diner for lunch. Not far up Highway 57 was Midway Eat.

With a sign like that, we had to stop. The restaurant structure certainly had the right feel.

Upon entering, we were told to seat ourselves. We chose a booth - bad mistake, possibly the most uncomfortable booth ever. The menu was attractive with several inviting choices.

After reading the review of the Broasted Chicken at the Murdo Drive-In yesterday, I knew Bobbi would be ordering the Broasted Chicken here.

I had a hankering for a burger, and after asking our waitress about the Home Style Hamburger decided that was for me (Not being experienced Roadfooders from the Steel City, we both passed on the Shrimp Basket).

I didn't notice the "Midway Special" until after ordering. I saw one delivered to another patron and it looked excellent. I didn't have the nerve to drop over to photograph the Hot Beef on Bread.

I'm breaking up this report and posting this before I lose my work.  Much more to come.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 07/16/11 8:41 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com