Summer 2011 in and Around Huntsville, Al.

Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 528
2011/07/31 23:04:28 (permalink)

Summer 2011 in and Around Huntsville, Al.

Hey Gang
So our summer visit with my inlaws has come and gone and it's time to give y'all a taste of the town as it were.
We arrived on Monday and immediately went for dinner at Rosie's Mexican Cantina with the family. 

This allowed me to check off another on the list of Huntsville's 20 Most Distinctive Dishes. The 3 - Way Fajitas.

Steak, chicken and shrimp with all the fixin's. They were good but nothing spectacular. The shrimp were the best. If someone knows what that au jus like stuff in the metal cup is, I'd love to know. It was great.

Taters n' Dawgs is a relatively new burger place that opened up a few minutes from my FIL's in Meridianville. Doing hot dogs and fries of course but I have to admit, their burgers are awesome. We ate there a couple times.

Taters n Dawgs by Davwud, on Flickr
There is bacon hiding in there somewhere on this bacon double cheeseburger.

Taters 'n Dawgs (Bacon double cheeseburger) Meridianville, Al by Davwud, on Flickr
Probably #3 on my list of all time best burgers.

On an earlier trip I visited a taco truck. It has since moved to Decatur but the family has two others in town.

101_1022 by Davwud, on Flickr
This one in a bus on Governors Drive serves up some fantastic food.

101_1027 by Davwud, on Flickr
This taco plate had 2 spicy pork and 2 steak. The steak was elevated with the salsa verde. The tongue and cheek tacos were also good but the steak was the clear winner. The chicken quesadilla was fantastic too. The red salsa was perfect on that. The pickled chilies, carrot and onions were crazy good.

We visited a farmers market and had some home made baked (fried) pies.

Baked "Fried" pies, Huntsville, Al farmers market by Davwud, on Flickr
The apple was quite good but the peach was lacking in peachy flavour.

Sam and Greg's on the square serves pizza and gelato.

Sam and Greg's Huntsville, Al by Davwud, on Flickr
The pies looked good but we were there for gelato.

Gelato, Sam and Greg's, Huntsville, Al by Davwud, on Flickr
Chocolate and Oreo for Mrs. Sippi and Mango and Oreo for me. They were great.

We ate lunch one day at Golden Rule BBQ in Madison.

Golden Rule BBQ, Madison, Al. by Davwud, on Flickr
The pit in the dining room should've spelled a great meal but sadly it wasn't

BBQ Sampler, Golden Rule BBQ, Madison Al. by Davwud, on Flickr
The turkey brest was very good but the ribs were barely passable. The brisket was terrible. It had no real flavour and an over steamed kinda thing going on. When the sides steal the show it's not a good sign.

We had the opportunity to take a trip out to Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama.

Rama Jama's, Tuscaloosa, Al. by Davwud, on Flickr
Rama Jama's beside Bryant - Denny Stadium has become an institution in it's short life. The place smelled of flat top hamburgers. I was in heaven.

Onion Rings Rama Jama's Tuscaloosa, Al by Davwud, on Flickr
The burgers were  incredible but so were the onion rings. Maybe the best rings I've had.
Oh, BTW, the All American omelet looked ridiculous.

Of course my BIL dragged us to Little Rosie's where I had a taco salad. It pales in comparison to my own home made. I didn't even bother to take my camera.

Some steak and other assorted foods at my SIL rounded out our meals so all in all a really great diet vacation again.

Look for my report on the trip to and fro (coming soon)

DT
post edited by Davwud - 2011/07/31 23:07:02

13 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1