The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pepper Vinegar In Old Recipes

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
Pepper Vinegar In Old Recipes Tue, 08/2/11 3:13 AM (permalink)
I'm slogging through some old Florida recipes that are probably from the '40-50's or maybe even earlier.  An ingredient some recipes call for is vinegar pepper in tablespoons and 1/4-1/3 cup amounts, it's also mentioned as an addition to beans and greens after serving, so it must be the same as a condiment of the period. I still can remember when restaurants had the bottles of little yellow (tabasco type?) peppers in a shake bottle along side the catsup bottle that pretty much vanished from tables by the mid 60's around here.

I doubt that those were the peppers that the vinegar pepper was made from as those were bottled by out of state companies that also made hot sauce and you'd be very lucky to get 1/4 cup out of one of them. AFAIK, Fl has only one hot pepper cultivated around the upper part of the state around St. Augustine called Datil Peppers. I've never seen or heard of them down here. Even into the 50's, Fl was still very much an outpost, so very little exotic or limited sale items were shipped down this far, so whatever pepper was used had to be either very much in demand then to merit transporting them, or cultivated here.  

Anyone have any idea what hot peppers would have been used down here back then?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com