A zipper recipe for drumsticks, chicken thighs, pork, etc

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
2011/08/04 21:39:44 (permalink)

A zipper recipe for drumsticks, chicken thighs, pork, etc

A "zipper" recipe is one where the basic structure stays the same, and you can "zip" other ingredients in and out; pork for chicken, in this instance. And the basic recipe is the one in the video on Fred's Music & Barbecue Supply's home page, the one with the drumsticks. In the video, Fred, the Smokin' Guitar Player, says that the rub and the sauce have the same flavor profile, so I thought to myself, that means it can accommodate different meats.

Here are some country style spare ribs. As you know, this cut isn't really a rib, it's sort of a loin chop from up near the shoulder. I coated them with some olive oil and sprinkled on some Tasty Licks Original Rub, and put them in the fridge for a couple hours while I made some potato salad and some tomato salad:

I took the egg up to about 350*

and put on the meat

until the chops got to about 150* or so. A word about the temp: you shouldn't cook these at too high a temp, like 400*, or they'll toughen. Lower is better, but they aren't really sensitive to the temp; anywhere from 300* to 375* is ok, because of the next step, where we put them in a pot and slather on the Tasty Licks Secret Sauce!

Now, here's the deal. You simmer them in the sauce, covered, for AT LEAST 20 minutes. An hour is best. They'll come out nice and tender, with a very little bit of chew but not much.

Here they are on the plate, with bicolor corn, home made German style potato salad, and tomato cucumber salad, and the IPA of the day, Stone's Ruination:

10 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1