Freshly Shucked & Kickin' A** in New Haven and Boston!!

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2392
2011/08/13 12:02:50 (permalink)

Freshly Shucked & Kickin' A** in New Haven and Boston!!

I just turned 40 this past May and my truly awesome friend and running coach, Doug, bought us tickets to see the Red Sox take on the Mariners at Fenway Park on Saturday, July 23rd!! Early that morning we busted out a 6 mile training run in Forest Hills, Queens starting at 6:30am and ending at 8:00am with the temperature being 90 degrees!! A couple of hours later, we were on our way and realized we had time to make a detour into New Haven. Going to Frank Pepe's for some classic New Haven style apizza has been on the short list for a while but the timing just never worked out until this day.  My excitement level was high when we turned on to Wooster St.! 
 And saw this sign just a short walk from where we parked.

It appears that the folks over at Roadfood have gotten wind of this place as well!!  ;)

In case you wanted to know...

What exactly is a Tomato Pie at Frank Pepe's?  I heard of the name in other regions and every one usually meant something different.  We arrived around 1:00pm waited in line for about 20 minutes and by the time we walked in the line had grown considerably longer. 

Love that their menu is so small and they focus on doing one thing and doing it well.

Finding our booth was easy enough, just look for the number the hostess gave us on the wall in the booth.

I started out with a very crisp and lemony Foxon Park Gassosa soda.

Lots of history here...

Thankfully Doug and I think alike when it comes to apizza.  We split a small white clam pie which came charred so perfectly!  We both dig in and really loved the chewy, crispy, briny goodness of it all.  There was such a wonderful balance of flavors and textures to this and no one element dominated.  I could have eaten this all by myself.  I was totally blown away by how amazing the crust was!  Jerry Seinfeld once said that people should look to the cookie (the black & white cookie) as an example of how different people should be able to live side by side.  I think if more pizza places could make crust like this then the world would be a much happier place!

We also split a small bacon and mushroom pie.  Wow! That bacon was thick, with a nice chew to it and the mushrooms were good too.  I love their tomato sauce.  It has a sweetness to it that balanced out the bacon.  The fresh mozzarella had melted quite a bit making for a somewhat sloppy pie but we greedily consumed it!  We both had wished that the crust on this was more charred and had more crispness to it.  However, between the sauce, bacon and mozzarella the crisp factor was bound to be lower than that of the clam pie.  An excellent crust nonetheless. 

I was hoping for a shot of the oven doors while open but I didn't want to stand there clicking away forever, looking like a hopeless nerd so you'll have to settle for this "action" shot.  I can't wait to return to New haven and try other pie places and sample some more of Pepe's!!

More to come...!

23 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1