Philly cheesesteaks without leaving Wisconsin?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5075
2011/08/21 18:09:14 (permalink)

Philly cheesesteaks without leaving Wisconsin?

Apparently it's possible, thanks to Ken & Betty's in Ft. Atkinson (or "Fort", as the locals call it), where I stopped for lunch on my way to meet The Contingent at Fred's in Burlington.

It's not a very big place but there are a few outside tables as well as al fresco dining options along the Rock River.  And once inside it's pretty obvious where the owners' loyalties lie!

The sandwiches are made with Amoroso bread and Herr's chips (very light and crisp) help ramp up the authenticity factor.

I was expecting a firmer feel and bite to the bread and was surprised how soft it was.  I like cheese but am glad the sandwich wasn't overflowing with it; there was enough to hold the meat together but no more.  Very good!

There's a map on the wall where Pennsylvanians who stop for a visit can mark their home turf with a pin.  Ken & Betty's would be a good place for visiting fans to stop this October when the Phillies are here to lose the NLCS to the Brewers!

Ken & Betty's also sells pork roll sandwiches for $4.50, with or without egg, and according to the young man behind the counter it's "Trenton" pork roll.  I'm definitely going to keep that in mind for a future visit!

Brad

12 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1