The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What book has been your most frequent read?

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
What book has been your most frequent read? Mon, 08/22/11 5:41 PM (permalink)
I have a few, Chesapeake, Michner,  probably my most read 5x at least. And you?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Mon, 08/22/11 6:10 PM (permalink)
    The Hobbit and LOTR at least 20x
    Many of my fav's from childhood 10+ times (tom & huck, the pearl, johnny got his gun, farenheit 451, hiroshima, the good life, of mice and men....)
    My Brother Sam is Dead 10+ times

Thoreau's "Walden" 10+ times
    Chickenhawk 10+
    Most of Stephen King's novels 10+

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
      Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Mon, 08/22/11 6:51 PM (permalink)
      The Fountainhead at least three times. What can I say? I'm an architect.

Walden Two for sure. Maybe three.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3293
        Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Mon, 08/22/11 7:06 PM (permalink)
        The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Chronicles of Narnia and Michael McDowell's Blackwater series. I tend to collect books and re-read at least every few years, but those are the ones I've read pretty much every year since I first met them. Authors I tend to repeat are Stephen King, James Michener, Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, Dean Koontz, Christopher Moore, and Carl Hiaasen. If I had to guess, I'd probably say everything in my personal library has been read a minimum of three times up to as many as 30.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
          Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Mon, 08/22/11 8:29 PM (permalink)
          I've read the translation of 100 Years of Solitude at least 4 times, maybe 5. Really, it's a lot for me to read a book twice, though. Of recent books, I read World War Z twice. It was better the first time. I read Faster twice.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
            Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 12:48 AM (permalink)
            I've read Bang the Drum Slowly at least 10 times.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 3:43 AM (permalink)
              Charlotte'sWeb. The Stand.Marley and Me.The Shining. Stuart Little. Anything Ann Rule.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 8:04 AM (permalink)
                To Kill A Mockingbird.  I have read the book, and watched the movie multiple times.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 12:39 PM (permalink)
                  The 'Jack Ryan' series of Tom Clancy novels were repeated reading for me, as were WEB Griffin's series-- The Corps  and the Brotherhood of War.
                  Tom,  I too love James Michner's historical novels.  I think Centennial was at the top of my list, followed by Texas and Chesapeake. I can stay buried in a Mitchner novel for days at a time, even though I have read them many times.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                    Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 1:40 PM (permalink)
                    I re-read lots of books, probably close to 20 in the past year alone, along with several new ones.
                    Another Lord of the Rings re-reader, at least 30 times over the past 30 years, I now have the trilogy in one hardcover, and a dog-eared 20+ year old paperback of The Hobbit.
                    Also Douglas Adams' "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, have the whole series in one hardcover as well. Adams' "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" are also repeat favorites.
                    I have several books from fantasy-sci-fi authors Dennis L. McKiernan (Mithgar series) and Michael Moorecock (Elric Saga) that I also pull out from time to time.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                      Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 2:13 PM (permalink)
                      Tales of Margaritaville. Can't even count the number of times.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                        Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 5:39 PM (permalink)
                        The Collected Short Stories of Eudora Welty and any of the short story books by Ellen Ghilchrist.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                          Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 08/23/11 11:18 PM (permalink)
                          Mark Harris was one of my English Writing professors when I was at Pitt. He was a good guy, but it was a hard time for him personally, he had just gotten over being obsessed with Saul Bellow; he wrote Saul Bellow, Drumlin Woodchuck and then imploded somehow.

mr chips

I've read Bang the Drum Slowly at least 10 times.

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                            Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Wed, 08/24/11 3:42 AM (permalink)
                            Probably CURIOUS GEORGE, BABAR, and CAT IN THE HAT. Two kids, two grandchildren. As an adult, the Bible, (great novel), Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein and Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Also read the Encyclopedia in the late 50's, as my mother bought it from a travelling salesman, recieved one volume per month. Also read the dictionary when I was 10 yoa.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                              Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Wed, 08/24/11 9:54 AM (permalink)
                              Huckleberry Finn, probably about 20 times. Dracula, ditto. Calvin Trillin's "The Tummy Trilogy" too many to count.

Michigander

Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Wed, 08/24/11 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas
                                The Killer Angels - Michael Shaara
                                Hackers - Steven Levy

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Wed, 08/24/11 1:38 PM (permalink)
                                  Good Call on the Mark Twain works. He and Jules Verne are repeat reading for me too.

John B

Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Wed, 08/24/11 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                    Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose, the story of the Lewis and Clark expedition. I've read it several times and it still is interesting.

NAAMikey

• Total Posts: 193
                                      Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Thu, 08/25/11 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                      At least once every coulple of years, I re-read James Clavells- Shogun!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Thu, 08/25/11 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                        CCJPO

I have hard backs of Curious George and Winnie the Pooh, that I reread now and then.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
                                          Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Thu, 08/25/11 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                          Anything Hemmingway, especially A Farewell to Arms.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                            Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Thu, 08/25/11 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                            Generally I don't re-read books at all with the exception of the two I previously mentioned. However, with the advent of e-books I am re-reading many of the classics I read and maybe didn't appreciate as much in my formative educational years.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                                              Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Sat, 08/27/11 3:05 PM (permalink)
                                              Little Women.  I have a lot of favorite books that I love to read over & over but every few years I have to go back & read Little Women again.  One of the great things in life is being able to introduce your favorites to your children & grandchildren.   My daughter is now reading her favorite to her daughters- the Anne of Green Gables series.

ladygodiva

• Total Posts: 96
                                                Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Sat, 09/10/11 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                                claracamille

Little Women.  I have a lot of favorite books that I love to read over & over but every few years I have to go back & read Little Women again.  One of the great things in life is being able to introduce your favorites to your children & grandchildren.   My daughter is now reading her favorite to her daughters- the Anne of Green Gables series.

Little Women, great novel, read it again every other year,  also Dumas  The Three Musketeers, 6 or 7 reads,  Jackie Collins novels.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                  • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 09/13/11 3:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  Several of Stephen King's works, Firestarter and The Stand especially.
                                                  "The 'Jack Ryan' series of Tom Clancy novels were repeated reading for me, as were WEB Griffin's series-- The Corps  and the Brotherhood of War. "

These too, I really liked W.E.B. Griffins stuff. I need to see if there is more.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                                    Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 09/13/11 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                                    Mr. Mayor, MikeS -- Brotherhood of War and The Corps? Most interesting.

I'm again on Book IV of The Corps.

You both might have come across the saying somewhere about how one never realizes the intelligence of someone until he agrees with you. You, gentlemen then, are clearly intellectual giants. 
                                                    <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 09/13/11 5:24 PM>

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                                      Re:What book has been your most frequent read? Tue, 09/13/11 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                                      Old Man and the Sea- At least 10
                                                      Great American Novel (Philip Roth)- a few times
                                                      The Assistant (Bernard Malamud)- 5 or 6 times

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com