The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Mon, 08/29/11 3:15 PM (permalink)
saps

Glenn1234

And to keep things  **in perspective**,  despite the tragic loss of 7 or 8 people in this storm so far, keep in mind...for perspective.... that an average of 93 people are killed on American highways EVERY day.  

Here is the video I shot of my TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cdFjMQa7No

Glenn

I'm confused.  What is your acceptable level of hurricane deaths?  Does it need to exceed 93 to be relevant?  Right now you've got 24 dead, I would assume many more injured, and 8500 people in Red Cross shelters, dangerous flooding in some areas, and billions in damages.  How many more would be injured or dead without the warnings of weather that has some degree of uncertainty.  How many people would have been caught in roadways and other places which would require emergency workers to risk their lives to get these people.

People that whine about this stuff are hilarious.  They expect the weather prognosticators to be spot on.  When things get destroyed and people get hurt, they whine about the government being unprepared.  Then when a storm doesn't meet its potential, it's all hype.  What a crock. 

I hope that someone explains to the families of the 24 that are dead that 93 people die on our highways each day.  That should give them solace.

saps -

I believe you missed the point of my posting.   The point was not to say that warnings should not be given.  They should be given.   The point is that there is no need for reporters to over-hype and FAKE the report.  In the video, you can see the reporter bobbing and weaving like he is being blown around.  After he is made a fool of by others casually traipsing by, and exposed as faking how bad it is where he is, he gets upset at being exposed as faking it, and you can see he stops his bobbing and weaving. 

As for acceptable number of deaths, that would be none.  Given that, I still do not believe we should have reporters covering every minute of every traffic accident 24/7, as well as FAKING some of the reports.  

By the way, the reporter in VA Beach was one of many who were caught overhyping / faking the current conditions.  There is one classic one where a reporter is "holding on for dear life", while several people casually walk by behind him, including an elderly woman with a cane!  LOL!

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Mon, 08/29/11 3:17 PM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
    Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Mon, 08/29/11 3:19 PM (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

saps - 

Please note that in this thread, it is necessary to have all rants approved by joerogo.

Should have left the room while you were on top.

joerogo

Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Mon, 08/29/11 3:21 PM (permalink)
      The Travelin Man

saps - 

Please note that in this thread, it is necessary to have all rants approved by joerogo.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
        Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Mon, 08/29/11 3:22 PM (permalink)
        wanderingjew

Glenn1234

wanderingjew

Figures....

I buy a new car and then I get hit by a hurricane..

and this  is where I live!

WJ-

I grew up in North Kingstown, a little south of your area.  That area you're in always confuses me.   I thought everything north of Division St. was in the Cowesett section of Warwick, rather than East Greenwich?  But, the condo address says East Greenwich.     Is it technically Warwick, but uses an EG postal code, as EG has the nearest post office?

Nice location. 

Glenn     

Yes and no.

Actually this is considered the Chepiwanoxet section of Warwick, however it does have an East Greenwich Zip Code.
        I can walk to Main Street East Greenwich in 5 minutes since I'm just a half mile away (yes I'm a fast walker!)

Quite a few downed trees where I am. I didn't have any power for 22 hours. The power went back on around 4:15 AM this morning.  Almost 300k customers in RI still without power as of 6AM this morning.

Thanks WJ.  Where does Chepiwanoxet end, and Cowesett start?   I had always been under the (false) impression that area was Cowesett. 
          Much north of there, and you hit Apponaug.   
        Glad your power is back on. 

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Mon, 08/29/11 7:48 PM>

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
          Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Mon, 08/29/11 6:42 PM (permalink)
          joerogo

The Travelin Man

saps - 

I do like to leave on a high note, but never have to say things twice.

joerogo

Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Mon, 08/29/11 6:56 PM (permalink)
            The Travelin Man

joerogo

The Travelin Man

saps - 

I do like to leave on a high note, but never have to say things twice.

Are you done yet?

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
              Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Mon, 08/29/11 8:50 PM (permalink)
              hey Joerogo.
              if he's done ,can I start?

a guy walks into a bar with a set of jumper cables over his shoulder & orders a BUDWEISER beer,
              the bartender says, I'll serve you but don't start anything.

hello, is this thing on?

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                Re:Hurricane Irene Possibly Impacting New England Tue, 08/30/11 8:58 AM (permalink)

Don't Olive Garden ratings belong under "Chains"?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com