The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Distinct smells and the memories they elicit

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Wed, 08/31/11 6:59 PM (permalink)
Games like;
Kick the can
High Buckety Buck
King of the Mountain
Flashlight Tag
Hide & Seek after dark.
Playing Army.
Didn't have any "Organized Sports" - No Soccer Moms, No helmets and pads, No booster clubs, and no treats after the games. The only pop-up tents we had were old blankets strung over a clothesline with stakes made out of tree limbs.
Swings were made out of a hunk of rope and an old tire. The Swimmin' Hole didn't have any chemicals in it and somehow we survived.

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
    Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Wed, 08/31/11 7:00 PM (permalink)
    My dogs farts, they remind me of my brother

TooPhat

• Total Posts: 121
      Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Wed, 08/31/11 10:37 PM (permalink)
      Pipe smoke - reminds me of my Dad smoking his pipe in the evenings when I was little, makes me feel safe and cozy.
      Pine trees - takes me back to when we had real trees for Christmas.
      Cinnamon and hot chocolate - memories of making cinnamon toast and hot chocolate for my kids on snow days when they were growimg up.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
        Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Sun, 09/4/11 11:52 AM (permalink)
        pipe smoke - my dad paid me .25 a week to clean his pipes
        geranium leaves - my mother had a huge patch of it at our house in Calif.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
          Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Sun, 09/4/11 4:41 PM (permalink)
          Vick's Vapo Rub, head under towel above steaming hot water in our sink, helped clear up cold congestion...I can smell it without smelling it!
          Denatured Alcohol, got a bath of it when we had a temperature, great cooling off and smell memories!
          <message edited by chewingthefat on Mon, 09/5/11 12:06 PM>

Gizmolito

• Total Posts: 312
            Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Sun, 09/4/11 6:26 PM (permalink)
            First day of school, first grade, that memory comes back with the smell of new jeans, not pre-washed, just stiff new ones. I always wore hand me downs, but that day warranted new clothes. All that anxiety comes right back, 53 years later.

TooPhat

Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Mon, 09/5/11 11:36 AM (permalink)
              The smell of watermelon means summer to me.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Tue, 09/6/11 2:17 PM (permalink)
                Ditto fluid. Always took me back to school.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                  Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Tue, 09/6/11 7:02 PM (permalink)
                  Old cars (really old ones) with mohair upholstery have a very distinctive smell - it's an immediate flashback to my grandma's '33 Ford in her dirt-floor garage in northern Nebraska.

TooPhat

Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Tue, 09/13/11 9:59 PM (permalink)
                    Puppy breath - the best thing ever!

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                      Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Sun, 09/18/11 8:31 AM (permalink)
                      My great grandmother made balm of gilead salve, great "drawing" qualities,very uselful before antibiotics.  She made it with mutton tallow, camphor, & balm of gilead buds.  Several years ago, I was at an herb store they they had a jar labeld "balm of gilead buds" .  When I removed the lid, ti smelled Grandma Lewis' salve.  Facebook has allowed me to connect with cousins I grew up with.  We are planning to make balm of gilead salve this fall.  Outside on our grills, I can't imagine what our homes would smell like if we made it inside.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                        Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Sun, 09/18/11 12:28 PM (permalink)
                        The scent of either lilies-of-the-valley or lilacs always takes me back to grade school, when our Catholic church had an annual May procession that ended with crowning a statue of Mary set up on a platform in the church parking lot.  There would be at least a hundred bouquets of flowers that church members brought from home and the scent of the lilacs and lilies-of-the-valley could be smelled from half a block away. 

To this day, whenever I smell them, I have an overwhelming desire to burst out singing
                        Bring flowers of the rarest
                        Bring flowers of the fairest
                        From garden and woodland and hillside and daleā€¦

The smell of Noxema always reminds me of being sunburned at the NJ shore in the pre-sunscreen days.  My cousins and I would end up being slathered with it before we went to bed after a day at the beach. 

shadow666

• Total Posts: 17
                          Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Mon, 10/3/11 11:53 AM (permalink)
                          Back in the 50's & 60's around Christmas time my Mom used to wrap ribbon on to oranges then push whole cloves into the orange and hang them around the house....was a sweet festive scent for the Holiday. Each year, I still hang the ribboned oranges....       Shadow

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                            Re:Distinct smells and the memories they elicit Mon, 10/3/11 1:51 PM (permalink)
                            When my mother moved into her condo, downsizing from a house without my father I took some of my father's things.  They're just being stored in the garage, probably never to be used but they were important to him and I can't throw them out.

One of the items is a smal 14" x 14" x 14" wooden cabinet with drawers.

Thinking there might be one of those tiny old oil cans inside I pulled open a drawer yesterday.

Almost brought tears to my eyes as I remembered "working" in the garage with my father. 

Not only was it filled with weird shaped nuts and bolts, it also houses the smells of my youth with my father.

Wish I had a work bench in the garage that would give that cabinet the honor it deserves.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com