The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP Tue, 08/30/11 8:52 PM (permalink)
David "Honeyboy" Edwards passed away 8-29-11. 
Born in Shaw, MS in June of 1915. Left home when he was just a teen to travel with some of the most famous Delta Blues men.

He played with legends like Pinetop Perkins, Robert Johnson (the man that sold his soul to the devil for his music ability), Johnny Shines and many more.

His voice has the warble, and soulsome sound.

I am listening to his Delta Bluesman right now, it is a wonderful mix of his older and newer stuff.

Honeyboy - your talents, your heart and your soul will be missed by so many.  RIP

http://www.davidhoneyboyedwards.com
http://www.torontosun.com...end-david-edwards-dead

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
    Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP Tue, 08/30/11 9:06 PM (permalink)
    R.I. P. Honeyboy.

Honey was something. The last man standing. We will not see his kind again. His memory was amazing.
    I was lucky to have spent some time with him. First for my film on Howlin' Wolf, and again for a film shot on a riverboat on the Mississippi.
    But probably my fondest memory is the night I met him at Buddy Guy's club in Chicago was introduced to him before he performed and we discussed him being interviewed for my film and he agreed and was gracious. Then he went to perform and I went to sit down and have a beer. I think Honey was drinking beer as well. When the cocktail waitress came to take my drink order I told  her I wanted to buy Honeyboy a beer or whatever he wanted to drink. I saw her talking with him and start to laugh. She came over to report that he said he needed a " big ol glass of gin"!

R.I. P.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP Tue, 08/30/11 10:02 PM (permalink)
      Smokestack

Your name sounds like an old blues musician's name.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
        Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP Fri, 09/2/11 9:43 AM (permalink)
        For twenty years  every time I saw Honeyboy I wondered if it was for the last time. Someone posted that the ongoing heatwave is Honeyboy playing up yonder.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
          Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP Fri, 09/2/11 8:13 PM (permalink)
          RIP Honeyboy. long live the blues.

not to blow my own horn but, quite a bit I'll meet a young guitar player where I'm playing & they say I'm a great blues player & they tell me they don't understand & can't play the blues.
          I don't understand it because the blues is the basis for most of the music we listen to & love. jazz,rock, soul, R&B.
          I guess kids are different today, not wrong but different.
          say hello to Big Bill Bronzey & Muddy Waters & Bo Diddley for me.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP Sat, 09/3/11 12:30 PM (permalink)
            Ive been up to my armpits in putting on the Dusk till Dawn Blues fest this week and just heard about Honeyboy. Sad--very sad--he was the last in a long line of a bunch awesome folks who lived tough hard lives and still made sure we all got  entertained. Thanks for the music Honeyboy! we will miss you.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
              Re:The Last of the Delta Blues Legends has passed away David "Honeyboy" Edwards - RIP Mon, 09/5/11 9:29 AM (permalink)
              So sad to see these wonderful musicians pass away.  Thankfully we have much of their music that remains.  RIP Honeyboy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com