The Chips' go to the Southern Oregon Coast

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4726
2011/09/03 17:18:24 (permalink)

The Chips' go to the Southern Oregon Coast

Trudy and i have been very busy this summer with work and had not really gone anywhere over the summer. trudy surprised me by making reservations for a weekend getaway in Florence, a city on the Oregon coast about an hour and half south of Newport and an equal distance from Eugene. it was a weekend filled with roadfood , nature and interesting bridges. We had a lot of fun in what was largely unfamiliar territory for us. 
     We started out with a visit to Novak's,  a Hungarian restaurant in Albany, Oregon just off of I-5. We usually visit around mealtime so we often have no room for products of the bakery. We stopped here for baked goods and were not disappointed.
 The highlight pastry was something called pithivier. it was like a cream horn filled with almond paste and it was marvelous combination of sweet mixed with enough savory to make wondrous combo flavor in your mouth. There was a tart lemon cake and apple strudel. i will say that even if your plans do not include a meal, a stop at the Novak's bakery is advisable when you are driving down I-5.
       We took a back way to Newport via highway 20 and had dinner at roadfood reviewed Shark's along the waterfront. Trudy and i had a long discussion afterwards about our meal because it is part of a longer debate about roadfood.
        The day of the trip i read a very negative review of Shark's here on roadfood,com. It surprised me because my previous experience had been very positive. I once again had the oyster pan loaf which is a delightful soup with a savory broth with pacific oysters. I love the flavor and recommend it to anyone. Trudy had the cioppino which she did not like at all. She ate all the shellfish but was quit unhappy with the tomato broth. She admitted my dish was very good but thought the cioppino she makes at home is better than Shark's. And this ,along with the negative review,got me to thinking. What happens when a place makes some dishes quite well and other dishes are  significantly less successful. Is it still roadfood? Shark's does not serve fried seafood and my experiences there have been quite good. i would lean toward the place being a fine roadfood stop but people should be aware of the possibilities of less than stellar food.
   Our drive from Newport to Florence was puncutuated by stunning ocean views of very high waves and rocky coast and bluffs. We stayed at The Lighthouse Inn, an older hotel of quirky charm next to the Siuslaw river bridge and Florence's Old town.

post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/22 21:46:19

9 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1