The Beef Hut (middle of nowhere, IL)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5233
2011/09/03 19:47:44 (permalink)

The Beef Hut (middle of nowhere, IL)

Last Monday I was on my way home from a long weekend and found an unexpected surprise here (US-30 facing east).

US-30 facing west.  This intersection is about 15 miles north of Mendota and 12 miles south of Rochelle.

The northeast corner has a scale and an abandoned truck stop, the southwest corner has a strip club, and the northwest corner has something I never expected to find in the middle of the Flatland.

Since I hadn't eaten yet I made a quick decision to pull in and check it out.  I spent a few minutes chatting with the owner while waiting for my order and I learned that he uses a CB radio to take orders from truckers; in fact, while I was there a grain truck pulled onto the US-30 shoulder and the driver came and got his lunch to go.  That's a good marketing strategy, and they also do catering jobs.

I ordered the beef and sausage combo, wet.  It was very good and The Beef Hut uses a fairly sweet sausage instead of a spicier version.

I don't know what the Chicago dog options are in Mendota and Rochelle but if I lived in the area and had a hankering I would have no problem taking a drive on a nice spring, summer, or fall day.

Brad

7 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1