Greetings fellow road food warriors. I am a commercial photographer and have had the fortunate experience of being selected as Artist in Residence at several of our National Parks and Historical Sites. Recently, I went to Petrified Forest in Arizona and wish to report on some of my favs enroute, in the area, returning etc. So, here goes:
1. Ely, Nv: Hotel Nevada for a good steak (but lousy wine selection so stick with beer or liquor)
2. Kanab, UT: Rewind Diner and Rocking V Cafe are both superb.
3. Cameron Trading Post, AZ: a must stop for their Navajo Taco burgers
4. Winslow AZ: If you haven't dined at La Posada's Turquoise Room then you haven't lived. Perhaps the best restaurant for three meals in the nation.
5. Albuquergue, NM: Church Street Cafe in Old Town is the best New Mexican in Old Town hands down. Seasons restaurant in Old Town very nice and upscale.
6. Flagstaff, AZ: Brix on San Francisco is superb dining with both inside and outside eclectic menues and great service.
7. Coffee Cup, Boulder City, NV: as stated on Roadfood excellent breakfast and lunch. Had the meatloaf sandwich which filled me up for two days!
8. Death Valley National Park, CA: Eat in the Furnace Creek Ranch Cafe and NOT the fancier dining room for much better food surprisingly! Panamit Springs Resort for buffet breakfast is worth the scenery and the drive and of course the food.
9. Gold(en?) Bull Cafe, Bakersfield, CA: This is west of the town heading out toward I5 at an intersection. We were hungry and saw tons of cars in their lot which is always a good indication in a farming community. Owned and operated by a Greek family offering both Mexican and Greek items. The Gyro platter was superb.
<message edited by lckt13 on Sun, 09/4/11 2:27 PM>